Everton's Under 21's In The EFL Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we already have a Youth Team thread, but I thought I'd give this one it's own specific thread, especially as it'll be starting soon (Cheers to @Groucho for authorising it)

We've drawn Mansfield, Crewe and Burton in our group

Currently they've announced that we'll be;

Away to Mansfield on 27th of August

Away to Burton on the 1st of October

The date for the game with Crewe doesn't appear to have been announced yet. In previous seasons one game had to be at the Premier League team's home stadium, but I think that rule has been changed now. If that isn't the case then the Crewe game looks to be the home fixture

I believe the tournament uses a format where if you draw games in the Group Stage then you have a penalty shoot out, which gives the winning side an extra point on top of the usual 1 you'd get for a draw. It's a strange format in some ways, but it does lead to some interesting outcomes in the final standings

Last season we finished third in a group that contained Barnsley, Oldham and Bradford, scoring just a paltry 2 points in the process. Hopefully this year we do better and manage to make it out of the Group

Anyway, good luck to the lads. I'll try and get to a few of the games if I can. Hopefully we give this one a decent go this year. I'm sure if the lads managed to make it to the latter stages then it'd be great for their confidence

Anyone else planning to attend any of the games? It would be nice if we could get as many to the games as possible to cheer the lads on ;)

....it gives many of these lads their first opportunity to play ‘open-age’ football (as opposed to age restricted) and provides the club a valuable insight into whether individuals can cope.

I have to admit to not being convinced about U23/U21 football, and i’m sympathetic to the old Central League model. The likes of Gibson will learn lots playing alongside and against experienced professionals.

Last edited:
It’s a strange trophy in many ways for us, and one in which we have always faired poorly. There are a number of reasons for this.
It’s u21 , although you can have two senior players involved , so we have tended to play youngsters or players on the fringe of U23s , and at this age group mixing up selection instead of a regular squad often doesn’t work . Matches have sometimes clashed with u21/20 internationals so some players not available. All games for “invited “ clubs are away, good for developing youngsters but more difficult to win. And finally , I’ve often felt we haven’t taken it too seriously, playing fringe players while resting regular players saving them for league games.
This season we look to have a decent crop of 17 and 18 year olds coming through so if they are played it will be interesting to see how they cope at “men’s football”.

Being based in Nottingham the Mansfield and Burton games should be easily attended. Will keep an eye out then for whether a few are you are likely to attend. Been to a few u23's games at the likes of Notts county, Derby etc over the last few years and its a good trip out seeing these well talked about youngsters actually playing.

thinking about going the Mansfield game because it will be a new ground,only problem it is the same midweek as the 2nd round of the league cup!

EFL Trophy is set for a new name after being called the Checkatrade trophy for 4 years... It's now called the Leasing.com Trophy

EVERTON U23S Leasing.com Trophy DRAW

Away to Mansfield on 27th August 7.45ko

Away to Burton on the 1st October 7.45ko

Away to crewe November 6th 7.30pm ko
Its took 2 weeks for the crewe date to be confirmed but updated it now

Hopefully they'll get to tell the story about seeing that goal when he's a star.
Sounds like a deserved goal,going by the way he is playing,as i said in the Lincoln game thread,the Lincoln boss is there watching our u23s tonight,maybe he may try for Gordon before the window closes for them,or thinks the likes of Gordon and co may appear tomorrow night

1-0 EVERTON ON 28MINS-GORDON, Anthony Gordon skips past four defenders and curls a wonderful finish into the top corner of the net from the edge of the box. Even the home fans claped
Gordon really seems to have stepped up this season and assuming he has been training with the first team maybe a spot on the bench tomorrow or upcoming games

Status
Not open for further replies.