Everton's top scorers since 2000, putting Lukaku's performance in proper context

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysInBlue

Player Valuation: £50m
List of Everton's top scorers for the seasons since 2000. This is goals in all competitions for the season:

00/01 Kevin Campbell 10 goals - no other player got goals in the double figures.
01/02 No player got double figures. Top scorer was Big Dunc with 8 goals.
02/03 Kevin Campbell 12 goals, Tomasz Radzinksi 11 goals.
03/04 No player got double figures. Top scorers were Rooney & Big Dunc with 9 goals each.
04/05 Tim Cahill 12 goals - no other player got double figures.
05/06 James Beattie 11 goals - no other player got double figures.
06/07 Andy Johnson 12 goals - no other player got double figures.
07/08 Yakubu 21 goals, Cahill, Andy Johnson and Lescott all with 10 goals each.
08/09 No player got double figures. Top scorers were Fellaini & Cahill with 9 goals each.
09/10 Saha 15 goals, Cahill 10 goals.
10/11 Beckford & Saha - 10 goals each.
11/12 Jelavic 11 goals - no other player got double figures.
12/13 Fellaini 12 goals - no other player got double figures.
13/14 Lukaku 16 goals - no other player got double figures.

14/15 Lukaku currently has 10 goals after today. At the same stage last season, he'd only scored 9.

He now has 3 goals in his last 5 games.

He's only the third Everton player to reach double figures in consecutive seasons in the last 15 years. The other two were Andy Johnson and Louis Saha.

If you put Lukaku's scoring record in context, he isn't doing that bad at all. His aim has to be to better last season's total of 16. If he can reach 20 all the better.

In the last 23 years, only 2 Everton players have scored 20 or more goals in a season - Beardsley with 20 in 1991/92 and Yakubu with 21 in 2007/08.

Last edited:

Great point BIB, he's never been and very unlikely to be this big domineering beast like Costa is or even Drigba was. But the lad scores goals and has an instinct for it, that won't leave him but he can refine other areas of his play.

Give him the right service the balls going into the net, Martinezs next challenge is getting the best out of Lukaku.

I love Rom but 28 million put a lot of pressure on him to play like a 28 million player immediately.

For what it's worth I think he will soon and will probably be worth a lot more in a few years but either way there's no doubting he already knows where the net is even if he doesn't know how it happened!

Had an off day today and scored the winner. Will take that all week long if it's nabbing us 3 points. Couldn't give a flying one if it bobbles in off his arse, all about being in the right place. What I like about his goals record is that it's not like a Cottee goalscoring record of no goals in 6 games then a double, another goals and then 8 games without a goal. It's single goals ( i think he's only scored a double once against Newcastle at home last season? ). I remember Royle talking about Rideout doing similar the season we stayed up and won the cup. The single goals were winning us 3 points or getting us a draw. Don't get me wrong I would love him to score hatricks galore but if you score around 16 a season that's nearly a goal every other game.

Status
Not open for further replies.