Homepage Article Everton's Attitude Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with attitude, but it doesn't just end there, fitness, so many of our players think it's a crime to close down, how many times last night, I saw one man closing down, easily bypassed by a simple pass either side. Other teams hunt in packs, how many times I saw players in our team chasing Sheffield players and getting beaten by pace, losing the physical battle, hardly saw any Everton player win a tackle, how many times their players, with respect quite ordinary players, dribbling, nay walking through two of three would be "tacklers" . How many times over the last few games especially, was our players running into dead ends, with no team mate bothering to make themselves available, Pickford was absolutely curious last night, you could see from his face, shouting at his team mates over the lack of effort being shown.
also Carlo isn't blameless with this, that formation, three centre backs, makes out team look so disjointed and seemingly helps our team being totally toothless and over run in midfield, our crossing is without doubt pathetic because Coleman is not a good crossed and lately Digne has been much the same, shame as a good few of our goals are headers, we have two dominant forwards, who are both decent in the air and both sadly, out of form. We were outpassed, outfought and outclassed by Sheffield United last night, who were easily better with and without the ball. At one point mid way in the second half, I actually thought a lot of these players had just about given up, it was that bad.
We have pressed as individuals for the last 5 years. Never as a team compared to excellent presses and off the ball work like liverpool and city. We press by individual. Run up to close down. Stop 2 years off. Cover and point. No intensity. No teamwork. It has been the same since martinez. Its is the same under Carlo.

Everton's attitude problem is the attitude that all we need to be good at football is a different attitude and not things like skill and a solid system. It's a professional sport. You can't win by trying really hard and having nothing else.

Something deep rooted. Going back even further, Barry mentioned standards had slipped https://metro.co.uk/2016/09/17/all-...artinez-at-everton-says-gareth-barry-6134240/

Baines also talked about problems with the 'blend' under Martinez.

So what happens? Is it institutional? Is it just that players, by and large, need constant kicking? Was Moyes that man or was his emphasis on a player's character just as important as on field qualities? Are there backroom staff constantly undermining managers and getting in players ears?

Honestly don't have the answers, but it is a recurrent theme. Maybe Ancelotti is nor as good as some say, fair enough. But you've got ask if the same old issues won't undermine a.n.other.

I still think attitude and mentality are just buzzwords that get thrown around in these situations. I look at someone like Holgate for example and suddenly his attitude is in question and everyone's on his back and using him as the go to example of someone with a bad attitude, but he's ALWAYS been like this. When he was doing well people thought it was great and were saying he should be captain, now all of a sudden he's not doing so well and the exact same qualities that people were praising him for are being used as a stick to beat him with. I have no idea whether he's a bad egg or a great pro, but he's always been the same. I've posted on here before saying that personally I don't like really his attitude, but I was very much in the minority up until about 6 months ago.

How long can we keep saying the same thing. Dont clubs look into the players characters when scouting?

So we are either not doing that or whoever is needs replacing as they are not doing the job properly.

Bet you dont find one other club where players/managers have repeatedly come out with statements about attitude over the years

We looked electric start of the season. 7 wins on the bounce. Spirit of the Blues top of the charts. Everyone buzzing.

Now look at the state of us. Fell off an absolute cliff. Wasted the best chance in a generation to get Champions League football. Embarrassing doesn’t start to come close to describing it. Everyone should be ashamed, from Carlo whose job it is to motivate these players and get us playing winning football, down to the cowards in a blue shirt who bottle it week in week out.

Oh, and decent article Danny.

Individuals and clicks within the squad need to be sacked off.

I still an arrogance in the squad that's bigger than the manager and the club...that has to be smashed out of this club. Get rid of many of that ilk as possible through sales, loans just get em out and change the culture.

Genuinely astonished at how many blues think attitude isn't a key factor in success.

It's intangible and hard to measure, but that doesn't mean it's not important.

Attitude is dreadful in our group and I find it mad that people don't think it's a big issue.

We don't win second balls, we don't sprint, we pull out of challenges, we don't run beyond the forward, we don't pick up runners, we don't pass the ball forward, we pass the responsibility.

It's all a mentality and attitude problem. There is no time for second chances, get them out of the club.

Attitude is dreadful in our group and I find it mad that people don't think it's a big issue.

We don't win second balls, we don't sprint, we pull out of challenges, we don't run beyond the forward, we don't pick up runners, we don't pass the ball forward, we pass the responsibility.

It's all a mentality and attitude problem. There is no time for second chances, get them out of the club.
But apart from that, what did the Everton players ever do for us ?

Great article for someone that doesn't write often, and I agree with many posts in follow up.

My other concern is, it seems that the players are being sent out with a pragmatic, defensive approach to games. Similar to Mourinho at Spurs and Utd. Are the players being told to keep it tight and see if we can score on the break? Are they getting fed up with our style of play and downing tools as they don't think it's working?

I find it hard to believe the players, as a group, continue to play the same way game after game, if they're not being told to play something like that.

We're one of the only premier league teams now that don't seem to press the opposition in their half, as a team. Occasionally the front 3 trot between the 4 defenders, but once they pass it around them, our midfielders are deep protecting the defence instead of higher up the pitch helping the press.

Teams know we only really play through the middle or 10% of the time down the left with Digne, making us so easy to shut out. You only have to look at the matches the article lists... 2 goals in 6 games against those teams is relegation form.

It can be that simple

Move more dross out from the first XI and the bench, replace with a bunch of players who will compete to keep their place or win it back

However I do understand concerns that what we buy in might not be good enough.

It'd be amazing to get an early boost in the transfer window. A couple of big moves out from the group that played a lot of minutes this season and then movement on what's coming in.

It might just be symbolic but I think seeing one or two of these wasters moved on early in the window would get us believing a change is coming
Definitely. It’s just hard to believe it’ll happen though, purely because of how unappealing a proposition these players will be to potential buyers!

What gives me a bit of hope is that we’ve had pretty much 100% success rate with transfers in under Carlo. 4 players that walk into our first XI when fit and a GK that at least pushed JP back into some kind of form.

If we can do that again this summer - tall order, I know - we’ve got most of a first XI that’s totally Carlo’s and a small handful of useful options from the bench.

...I don’t think attitude is the key issue. The acquisition of too many similar type is the issue. Ponderous in too many areas, no threat in wide positions.

Attitude doesn’t make slow players run fast.

We can’t take the game to teams at home, we can’t mount periods of sustained pressure around the opposition box. We win away because we sit in and try and Nick one on the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.