Everton Youth Teams Thread

I mean we don’t really. 450 mins is nothing.

Especially when it's all just Branthwaite apart from about 15 of the minutes
Fair points but it does highlight that if you look at things objectively and relatively then we're better at it (or at the very least, no worse) than the majority. It can sometimes be easy to lose sight of that when we get so wrapped up in our club.

yeh just shows you need to drill down further on lists like that
Yeah I don't think it's a very good stat at all really. United are high because they threw their season away by February. Saints have one great player who they bought in the summer, I'd imagine wolves has a large % made up by 40 million pound signing Fabio Silva whilst Leeds is probably made up by Gelhardt and Greenwood because of their injuries.

Truth is that unless you're truly unbelievable as a teenager no club is giving you game time barring a massive crisis

Fair points but it does highlight that if you look at things objectively and relatively then we're better at it (or at the very least, no worse) than the majority. It can sometimes be easy to lose sight of that when we get so wrapped up in our club.

Yes. I mean what you get is that young players across the league dont get many opportunities. But of a pretty low bar, we are one of the better teams.

Our issue for me is not how many 17/18/19 year olds get league minutes for us, but more do those players improve enough through to age 22/23.

That equates to 5 full 90 minutes

387 minutes were Branthwaite
29 minutes were Dobbin
12 minutes Isaac Price
25 minutes Onyango

I cant find were the other 5 minutes come from!

I'd be very suprides if any of these will be used in the first team alot next season.

It would be interesting though, to see how many teenagers are getting first team football across the whole country, how many teenagers go out on loan before coming back now!
I think its harder to get minutes as a teenager now as the PL has flipped to ultimate cyborg athletes throwing you around the pitch. Only very rare exceptions like Foden or early developers who are already massive like Livaremento will get any sort of large amount of minutes in the PL now. You are looking at lads getting game time now at around 20-21.
The positive spin is that three homegrown teenagers made their PL debuts last season , plus Simms who I think was 20 when he got his first PL mins. Prior to this we had Gordon and a long gap back to Beningime for teenage debuts . This is from memory I’m sure some one will pick me up if I’m wrong , but it highlights the change in focus in the past few years particularly u18s getting moved up early to the u23s . It doesn’t mean they are all going to be good enough play in the PL but it allows them to differentiate between say the likes of Price and Butterfield, get an early look at Whitaker and Welch. And hopefully sends out the message to the promising youngsters that opportunities are there if you’re good enough.

PL2 is reverting back to a U21s league rather than a U23s. Changes are highly unlikely to affect us given our age groups last year.
I know we have a fair few who are playing up a level or two. But I ask myself the question if this change could mean a harder culling in the youth set up, generally. Could be positive....

I know we have a fair few who are playing up a level or two. But I ask myself the question if this change could mean a harder culling in the youth set up, generally. Could be positive....
I don't think it will affect the culling quite as much as you're now allowed to field more over-age players than before. So it doesn't seem like too much of a material change.

If you read my post properly, I just don’t like 3-4-3 though I can see why Frank used it. If you believe that our Academy and club are currently capable of replicating Barcelona and Ajax then you really haven’t been paying attention .

Youre saying "currently" but were undergoing a revamp of the youth system.

Its a conservative 3-5 year approach.

Any thoughts or insights into what happened with our new superstar this season just gone — Francis Okoronkow?

The kid had a real purple patch, scoring 6 in 7 games when he finally started playing at the end of November... then faded by the end of January and ultimately disappeared in early March, never to be seen or heard of again???

Did Southampton pay us compensation for him
I know we wanted 5 million but its gone quiet on that.
What was the outcome if any?
Yes, we wanted £5m and Southampton offered £1.5m. It was rumoured to be going to tribunal, but surely that would be settled by now?
I can't find any reports of it, so I reckon they must have come to some compromise agreement.

Any thoughts or insights into what happened with our new superstar this season just gone — Francis Okoronkow?

The kid had a real purple patch, scoring 6 in 7 games when he finally started playing at the end of November... then faded by the end of January and ultimately disappeared in early March, never to be seen or heard of again???
Okoronkwo was injured not long after making his u23 debut , and never appeared again , he fell into the black hole that is our communications department for injured youngsters,