Everton Youth Teams Thread

Fair enough if he isn't good enough but he's highly rated enough to think there is something there and he knew he was only 3rd choice, or was as you alluded too. He didn't see a path to first team football and chose too move on, I think they are better off doing that than staying at the u23's until they're 23 like lol
I think we could have maybe looked to loan small out not sure if we did or not. Man city have loaned out there 17year old centre back Doyle to Sunderland our loan moves really don't seem to improve our players Simms seem to do ok

I think we could have maybe looked to loan small out not sure if we did or not. Man city have loaned out there 17year old centre back Doyle to Sunderland our loan moves really don't seem to improve our players Simms seem to do ok

His youth contract ran out (I think). He wasn't our player after his bday so couldn't be loaned unless he signed a pro deal which he rejected.

Everton Under-18s midfielder Jenson Metcalfe has signed a first professional contract with the Club until the end of June 2024.

Metcalfe celebrated his 17th birthday on Monday and has been rewarded with a new deal having made impressive strides over the past 12 months.

The teenager broke into the Everton Under-18s side at the start of 2021 and has remained a regular in boss Paul Tait’s team.

Metcalfe, who joined Everton at Under-5 level, is a technically-gifted central midfield player with a wide range of passing and eye for goal.

He made his Under-23s debut in April this year, playing the full 90 minutes in a 1-1 Premier League 2 draw with Brighton & Hove Albion.

Excellent, the first of this year‘s Scholars to get a pro contract , and he’s got the maximum 3 years contract we can give him . I guess he’s the oldest of this years intake. He’s a super player , and his u23 debut last season in the Brighton game mentioned was impressive, and so far from what I’ve seen he’s the most advanced of the 1st years , looking very composed at u18. He’s clearly established at u18s , so it will be interesting to see how quickly he can push on to compete against the likes of the older players Onyango, Butterfield, Price at U23s .
He’s not a Sancho or Bellingham , so no he’s not breaking into the first team any time soon.

Ours loans have really not enhanced anyone probably since Coleman . Gibson's loans have been a disaster ,but thought Preston was a decent club for Gordon to progress but Preston struggled then changed managers
Your last few words , “ then changed managers” has occurred a lot with our loans, and is often used as a reason a player hasn’t done so well, Dowell at Forest for example. So we therefore blame the loan , but maybe the player just wasn’t good enough or ready. Dowell was on fire in the first part of his Forest loan, but when results dipped and the manager needed players who could dig in and maybe grind out results he wasn’t up to it back then. The Manager got sacked , new manager needs to grind out results , Dowell doesn’t get a look in . At the age they go on loan , only the top few are able to be major influencers of the sides they go to , they don’t have the experience to do this. Of those top few who do , the outstanding examples are Mason Mount when at Derby , Tammy Abraham at Villa, and for both I think this was at least their second loan spell, so they too needed time to come good.

All loans are not necessarily bad , sometimes we have to accept that the players just don’t live up to the expectations people have of them at that age.

Ours loans have really not enhanced anyone probably since Coleman . Gibson's loans have been a disaster ,but thought Preston was a decent club for Gordon to progress but Preston struggled then changed managers

Man City & Chelsea have purposelly kept a fair few of there loans away from the Championship in risk of them not playing!
The Championship notoriously has a high manager turnover and managers sometimes are under to much presure to help develop there players!
If you look at most 18....even 19 year old kids from the best acadamys, they are playing league 1 or league 2....just to get minutes.

Obviously there are the likes of Harvey Elliot who have excelled.........but its rare the past few years

Man City & Chelsea have purposelly kept a fair few of there loans away from the Championship in risk of them not playing!
The Championship notoriously has a high manager turnover and managers sometimes are under to much presure to help develop there players!
If you look at most 18....even 19 year old kids from the best acadamys, they are playing league 1 or league 2....just to get minutes.

Obviously there are the likes of Harvey Elliot who have excelled.........but its rare the past few years
Interesting. I noticed that Man Utd had loaned their promising 18 year old centre half Will Fish to Stockport County in the National League. I’m not sure how he’s doing appearances wise, he‘s the same age and England groups as Dobbin and Onyango. Stockport have spent money and are in the group of favourites for promotion from the National League so perhaps no guarantee of game time for him but good experience if he does play.