Everton Youth Teams Thread

Astley struggled a lot today against Will Ferry on the wing. He was beaten for pace a few times in the first half. On the other hand I agree that Simms did well again. Didn't get too much service, but fought for everything and got a good assist.

Astley struggled a lot today against Will Ferry on the wing. He was beaten for pace a few times in the first half. On the other hand I agree that Simms did well again. Didn't get too much service, but fought for everything and got a good assist.
I only saw the second half, so wondered why Astley wasn’t on. I wasnt sure if we started with a back 3 and John/ Foulds as wingbacks. So it was a tactical change? Astley is usually a “Steady” full back but lacks the pace to go forward. I still think he has the skill to be a good centre back , and he’s developing physically.

If we put our u23s out against a Premiership side how do you think we would get on?
How many young players have we that are maybe the equivalent of the Liverpool young players yesterday?
Who are likely to make it to the first team?

No, it was more like a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 rather with Astley at right back and John ahead of him in midfield, and Ouzounidis on the other side at left back if I'm not mistaken. Astley went off at half-time and John then took his place in the back four with Denny who came on taking the spot in midfield.

If we put our u23s out against a Premiership side how do you think we would get on?
How many young players have we that are maybe the equivalent of the Liverpool young players yesterday?
Who are likely to make it to the first team?

You meant the whole u23 team? They would get battered about 7 or 8 nil. Liverpool or City double that

Bally saying some of the u23s should be given a chance...anyone ready aside from Gordon?
As @mightymoyes says, as a team they’d get battered. So it’s a question of picking out individuals who can fit into Marco’s plan or we can adopt things for him . Certainly Gordon is worthy of a start or at least PL minutes. Ellis Simms is still a work in progress , a lot still to learn but coming along nicely. He’s different from DCL and you can’t hit long balls in the air to him, but he’ll run the channels, push people about and shoot at any opportunity so may be worth a go if we adapt our passing to suit him.
Adeniran and Anthony Evans are other possibilities. Adeniran looks physically able for the PL shows some good touches , but for me is similar toDavies in that his best play is when he’s moving forward with the ball and a bit weak as a PL DFM. But may fit into Marco’s plans. Evans is so frustrating in that the talent is there, in fairness he works quite hard and is not lazy , yet there is something missing which makes you fear for him if he started.

So for me Gordon is the best bet, then Simms . But they play in positions where they can become anonymous if they don’t get the ball played to them , and quickly fade out. Provided the expectations placed on them are not too great then they would be fine. A big step up from U23s level, but who knows until they’re tried .

As @mightymoyes says, as a team they’d get battered. So it’s a question of picking out individuals who can fit into Marco’s plan or we can adopt things for him . Certainly Gordon is worthy of a start or at least PL minutes. Ellis Simms is still a work in progress , a lot still to learn but coming along nicely. He’s different from DCL and you can’t hit long balls in the air to him, but he’ll run the channels, push people about and shoot at any opportunity so may be worth a go if we adapt our passing to suit him.
Adeniran and Anthony Evans are other possibilities. Adeniran looks physically able for the PL shows some good touches , but for me is similar toDavies in that his best play is when he’s moving forward with the ball and a bit weak as a PL DFM. But may fit into Marco’s plans. Evans is so frustrating in that the talent is there, in fairness he works quite hard and is not lazy , yet there is something missing which makes you fear for him if he started.

So for me Gordon is the best bet, then Simms . But they play in positions where they can become anonymous if they don’t get the ball played to them , and quickly fade out. Provided the expectations placed on them are not too great then they would be fine. A big step up from U23s level, but who knows until they’re tried .

Erm marco has gone mate. Are you in denial or have you been under a rock?

So really just Gordon and possibly Simms and Adeniran? No defenders ready for next season perhaps?

Gibson i think seems set to leave unless he gets a chance

Gibson i think seems set to leave unless he gets a chance

I wouldn't be too certain about that anymore. New talk of contract negotiations and the change in manager could make him want to see how Carlo handles youth. If we see some youngsters get minutes in the coming weeks, he may well be persuaded to sign a new contract. I do believe though that we'll know his future in terms of Everton by the end of the month. You'd think the club would try to sell him if he doesn't intend to stay. No real value in keeping him for another six months and he seems to be rated within the footballing world so there is the chance to make a bit of money still.