Everton Youth Teams Thread

Of course mate, Koeman could have been assessing all the players. I just felt that between game 6 to 12/13 he didn't do enough to get positive results and was almost like "I'm not arsed because I will just buy in January". Top managers work with what they have and get the best out of what they have available.

Something changed imo around the man Utd home game 2nd half, attitude wise. Maybe he realised with the atmosphere that we are a massive club, bigger than he gave us credit for and had to sort out his own performance. Little by little ( except 2nd half against the rs as we were awful and the fa cup last week was awful reminder that we've got some distance still to go to get it right ) we've become hard to beat, look fitter, stood up to the test more. I think the young lads have given the whole squad a lift. Schneiderlin will have given them a lift. Lookman comes in and slots a beauty and everyone will be thinking "hang on, this kids got something as well". Suddenly Mirallas picks up form, suddenly Ross is putting tackles in ( still not enough for me like but that's only because I think he could be an absolute star and the complete player ), Rom who is a kid starts looking like a father figure to the others.

Sorry for the long post mate, goes to show that when Everton win with so many positives like yesterday, it's hard for me to not stop chatting absolute crap because I'm still buzzing about it over 24 hours later ;)
I think the youngsters have given the whole team a lift not just in their performances, but their freshness and energy they have brought to the team.

I so hope he gets a chance, liked him ever since watching him in the U17 Euro's, especially the way he nervelessly took the final penalty to win the cup.
Yeah that was impressive as was his comments about taking where he stated that these are the opportunities that you want to come along and he didn't worry about missing the penalty. Really like this kid and think he'll do very well if he gets a chance.

Brilliant interview and you can't help but me impressed by Unsworth. I loved his comment that he won't rest until the first 11 is made up of players who've come through the youth system. Great to have that ambition.

I also have to say that I think he's being proved right. At the end of last season he said we were sitting on a goldmine, but Koeman chose to ignore this. Then a few weeks ago he came out and said his players were ready to step up after Koeman came out with his comments that they weren't ready. Now a few weeks later we can clearly see Unsworth was right about Davies. I hope Koeman is starting to trust Unsworth's judgement and that he'll give some opportunities to Walsh, Kenny and Dowell instead of players like Lennon, McCarthy & Kone.

And I think that will have a positive affect as well eggs. These kids have to look at the likes of Niasse and Cleverley getting shipped out and think "I might be in with a shout of getting in the 18 man squad, then make the bench, then get minutes".

Look at Davies, I'd say 99% of Evertonians would have him 1st on the team sheet after yesterday and past few performances. That's a massive boost to all concerned because even though we've just paid 20m for Morgan, there is still room for these kids IF they are good enough

i'd hope that 100% of evertonians would have lukaku as the 1st name on the team sheet given the hideous alternatives ha.

Sat inside Goodison Park on Sunday watching one of his oldest friends outrun and outgun Manchester City, Kieran Dowell admits he couldn’t help but be inspired. Accompanying Tom Davies’ mother Diane, father Tony and elder brother Liam, he was there, too, to support a fellow local lad with whom he has risen through the ranks since the age of 11.

Just over 24 hours later, Dowell was on the same pitch himself, representing Everton Under-23s and producing a goal to match the quality - if not the drama - of his good pal’s.
“Me and Harry Charsley were sat in the stands against Manchester City with Tom’s mum, dad, brother and brother’s girlfriend and it was just unbelievable,” explained Dowell after Monday's 3-0 victory over Reading. “I felt like crying when he scored. It was so emotional because we’ve been through so much together since we were kids. It was brilliant. “That was the sort of team talk we had from Unsy. He was saying follow suit from what the first team had done the day before and we did that really well. “They were three great goals and we’re delighted with the win.”

With the Under-23s leading 1-0 through winger Nathan Broadhead’s early header, Dowell ran from well inside his own half before arrowing a shot low into the bottom corner to extend the Blues’ advantage on 52 minutes. Harry Charsley then netted for the second successive game three minutes later to move on to six goals for the campaign, level with leading scorers Calum Dyson and Oumar Niasse.

“I seem to have the habit of scoring worldies but Harry’s got the habit of finding space in the box and getting it away,” said Dowell. “He’s a great finisher in and around the box and that’s what he’s always been like over the years. He’s so reliable and he’s played right-back before, centre-mid, right-mid, left-mid - you can put him anywhere and he’ll do a job.

“The first goal was a great ball from Jonjoe [Kenny] and we’re made up for Broady on his first start because it was a great header. I’ll have to watch mine back but I think it was around halfway and it’s just opened up for me and, thankfully, when I took the shot it went in. I don’t think it beats the chip [against Southampton last season] but it’s definitely up there with my best.”

The performance marked a welcome return to form for the 19-year-old, who admits he is open to going out on loan this month if Unsworth feels it will benefit his development. “This season, for whatever reason, it’s been up and down for me,” he said. “Obviously you can’t always be in great form but I’ve worked hard and I’ve had the backing from the coaches and they’ve really helped me. I’m feeling good and I’m feeling fit at the moment.

“It’s up to the Club first of all but, if it’s the right move, the right club, then definitely I’d like to get that experience [out on loan]. From speaking to the senior pros, like Ross [Barkley] for example, most of them have done it where they’ve come from lower down or they’ve dropped down to go on loan and then came back up. “Callum Connolly has just gone to Wigan as well and scored two on his debut, so it shows the experience you can get. I was watching Soccer Saturday and it was great to see. I was made up for him.”

Sat inside Goodison Park on Sunday watching one of his oldest friends outrun and outgun Manchester City, Kieran Dowell admits he couldn’t help but be inspired. Accompanying Tom Davies’ mother Diane, father Tony and elder brother Liam, he was there, too, to support a fellow local lad with whom he has risen through the ranks since the age of 11.

Just over 24 hours later, Dowell was on the same pitch himself, representing Everton Under-23s and producing a goal to match the quality - if not the drama - of his good pal’s.
“Me and Harry Charsley were sat in the stands against Manchester City with Tom’s mum, dad, brother and brother’s girlfriend and it was just unbelievable,” explained Dowell after Monday's 3-0 victory over Reading. “I felt like crying when he scored. It was so emotional because we’ve been through so much together since we were kids. It was brilliant. “That was the sort of team talk we had from Unsy. He was saying follow suit from what the first team had done the day before and we did that really well. “They were three great goals and we’re delighted with the win.”

With the Under-23s leading 1-0 through winger Nathan Broadhead’s early header, Dowell ran from well inside his own half before arrowing a shot low into the bottom corner to extend the Blues’ advantage on 52 minutes. Harry Charsley then netted for the second successive game three minutes later to move on to six goals for the campaign, level with leading scorers Calum Dyson and Oumar Niasse.

“I seem to have the habit of scoring worldies but Harry’s got the habit of finding space in the box and getting it away,” said Dowell. “He’s a great finisher in and around the box and that’s what he’s always been like over the years. He’s so reliable and he’s played right-back before, centre-mid, right-mid, left-mid - you can put him anywhere and he’ll do a job.

“The first goal was a great ball from Jonjoe [Kenny] and we’re made up for Broady on his first start because it was a great header. I’ll have to watch mine back but I think it was around halfway and it’s just opened up for me and, thankfully, when I took the shot it went in. I don’t think it beats the chip [against Southampton last season] but it’s definitely up there with my best.”

The performance marked a welcome return to form for the 19-year-old, who admits he is open to going out on loan this month if Unsworth feels it will benefit his development. “This season, for whatever reason, it’s been up and down for me,” he said. “Obviously you can’t always be in great form but I’ve worked hard and I’ve had the backing from the coaches and they’ve really helped me. I’m feeling good and I’m feeling fit at the moment.

“It’s up to the Club first of all but, if it’s the right move, the right club, then definitely I’d like to get that experience [out on loan]. From speaking to the senior pros, like Ross [Barkley] for example, most of them have done it where they’ve come from lower down or they’ve dropped down to go on loan and then came back up. “Callum Connolly has just gone to Wigan as well and scored two on his debut, so it shows the experience you can get. I was watching Soccer Saturday and it was great to see. I was made up for him.”

...how nice is that quote about watching with Tom's family. no bitterness, young Kieran is a credit to his parents. Lovely as well that Tom's older brother was watching, remember he was released by Tranmere in the summer at the same time Tom was signing a major contract with Everton. Mr and Mrs Davies will have had to manage the delights and disappointments of two kids they think the world of.

...how nice is that quote about watching with Tom's family. no bitterness, young Kieran is a credit to his parents. Lovely as well that Tom's older brother was watching, remember he was released by Tranmere in the summer at the same time Tom was signing a major contract with Everton. Mr and Mrs Davies will have had to manage the delights and disappointments of two kids they think the world of.
Aye, when Kieran said he felt like crying when he scored I must confess it brought a little glisten to my eye all over again!
As a fellow Ormkirkian I am really crossing my fingers he makes it.

As you say must be very bittersweet for Tom's brother, hopefully he has found a different career to make him happy.