Everton Youth Teams Thread

Aye, when Kieran said he felt like crying when he scored I must confess it brought a little glisten to my eye all over again!
As a fellow Ormkirkian I am really crossing my fingers he makes it.

As you say must be very bittersweet for Tom's brother, hopefully he has found a different career to make him happy.

....young Dowell is a talent and can make a very good living out of the game. Much will depend on how he copes with regular open age football. I doubt he'd be able to run half the length of the pitch unchallenged when he steps up but he's a fine mover with a football at his feet.

Either way though I thought he was especially highly rated always playing well above his age group and then went back down to the u18s.. not sure where he stands anymore.

its a good move for him to be playing mens football at 18 and can only help him improve. other highly rated players like walsh and kenny had good loan spells in league 2 last season.

....it is encouraging but the transfer activity to bring in better players will make it even harder to breakthrough.

Ironic isn't it? We've been skint for years and these lads could have been seen as saviours, but now that we have money, it may actually delay or prevent their progress. I really hope not. I'd rather spend money on 1 or 2 world class imports and let the lads come up naturally. If nothing else we shouldn't be buying anyone to sit the bench if there's a local lad ready to at least be in the squad.

Ironic isn't it? We've been skint for years and these lads could have been seen as saviours, but now that we have money, it may actually delay or prevent their progress. I really hope not. I'd rather spend money on 1 or 2 world class imports and let the lads come up naturally. If nothing else we shouldn't be buying anyone to sit the bench if there's a local lad ready to at least be in the squad.

...it's a really good point. The only thing about the future is that if we see success nobody will be too bothered about the make up of the team. Winning is what we all want, success is what we all want and if that happens the youngsters will have to be even more special to come through.

Also, it does look like we are looking to recruit the best young talent so if we have players of that age around the team they might not be local.

Brilliant interview and you can't help but me impressed by Unsworth. I loved his comment that he won't rest until the first 11 is made up of players who've come through the youth system. Great to have that ambition.

I also have to say that I think he's being proved right. At the end of last season he said we were sitting on a goldmine, but Koeman chose to ignore this. Then a few weeks ago he came out and said his players were ready to step up after Koeman came out with his comments that they weren't ready. Now a few weeks later we can clearly see Unsworth was right about Davies. I hope Koeman is starting to trust Unsworth's judgement and that he'll give some opportunities to Walsh, Kenny and Dowell instead of players like Lennon, McCarthy & Kone.
Yea, it looks as if Unsworth, Sheeds etc are doing some great work in the Academy. Everybody loves to see young talent breakthrough, and it looks as if we have more to come. If 2 or 3 a year breakthrough that would be super.

...it's a really good point. The only thing about the future is that if we see success nobody will be too bothered about the make up of the team. Winning is what we all want, success is what we all want and if that happens the youngsters will have to be even more special to come through.

Also, it does look like we are looking to recruit the best young talent so if we have players of that age around the team they might not be local.

i will! lol
i want to win the champions league with a team of local lads just like celtic in 67:)