Everton Youth Teams Thread

Would say this works against a pathway than for it. What was the point in signing Nkounkou other than blocking a pathway for Small? It certainly wasn't a signing that provided genuine first team cover so unless the club are and were confident NN will have a better career and be a better full back than Small it was a signing that just further clogged up the system.

Well when we signed Nkounkou Thierry Small was 15 years old mate... what was the alternative. Sign no decent LB cover?

He plays well....and the RS sign him in 2 years for £80 million....he socres 5 in the Derby at Goodison, sticking fingers up to the Street end.....nailed on.

Digne, Nkounkou, Delph, Iwobi... and probably centre backs ahead of him who could play there;

It does feel like our academy setup is one that prefers to be flat track bullies rather than develop actual players for the first team.

Thankfully, that seems to be changing under Brands recently.

I remember one game last season, can't recall who it was against, but we played a back 3 and the wing backs were Iwobi on the left and Davies on the right. Nkounkou was on the bench and didn't make an appearance.

Well when we signed Nkounkou Thierry Small was 15 years old mate... what was the alternative. Sign no decent LB cover?
I mean, he turned 16 the month after and then played the entire season for the 23s so yes? The alternative scenario just means no Niels Nkounkou. Who played 80 minutes in the league all season. 12 minutes in the final game drubbing to man city and 70 minutes of a defeat to Newcastle. Godfrey was the left back cover not Nkounkou so the sign no decent left back cover doesn't really hold up. The logic behind Nkounkou at the time was he would spend the season in the 23s, meaning Small would've had to play in the 18s if they stuck to the actual plan

100% Dan. Not just for retaining our own best players but also for attracting the best young players from other clubs. Why do you think the likes of Sancho and Bellingham, and the Jesus lad from Real Madrid we were once linked with, all wanted to go to Dortmund.
Is it the pathway that's isn't open too them or just the fact the manager at the time simply doesn't trust youth? Is that the same thing? I guess you have to be good enough first and foremost, patient second unless you are better than the first choice and then you're at the mercy of the manager really, don't know what Unsworth can do in that situation. What's your take?

I mean, he turned 16 the month after and then played the entire season for the 23s so yes? The alternative scenario just means no Niels Nkounkou. Who played 80 minutes in the league all season. 12 minutes in the final game drubbing to man city and 70 minutes of a defeat to Newcastle. Godfrey was the left back cover not Nkounkou so the sign no decent left back cover doesn't really hold up. The logic behind Nkounkou at the time was he would spend the season in the 23s, meaning Small would've had to play in the 18s if they stuck to the actual plan

Unless Thierry Small was the LB equivalent of Wayne Rooney (he isn't) then the club cannot go into the season with just Digne at LB and hoping this kid miraculously becomes PL ready by the time he's 16 (he isn't).

Signing Nkounkou on a free was a good move and it's not the club's problem Carlo decided not to use him.

Digne was missing for 8 games last season through injury and suspension. We played a centre back there.

Think the fans would buzz that we're finally giving youth a chance. As they buzzed when he made his debut.
Do you think Small should have been played there ?

Was he ready, what you have said if he had been played and cost us the game ?

How many 16 year old play in the premiership ?

Yeah, my view is good luck to the lad.

I don't agree with him not turning up for training, I think he's been poorly advised in that regard. I also don't like to lose promising young players, but in fairness I think that is our own fault because over the last few years we have become a club where there is not a clear pathway through to the first team for outstanding young players.

I'm not even sure it's about money. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had offered a more lucrative contract than Southampton, and he could have gone to Arsenal or Manchester United who would likely have offered better terms. But he has chosen a club, and a manager for that matter, that have consistently shown that they are happy to trust young players if they are good enough. I think he's definitely chosen the right club to go to from a development aspect and would have questioned his motives had he gone to one of the big clubs.

Time will now tell if he's as good as he thinks he is. TBH I've not seen anything in his appearances for the U23s that make him standout in the way that Livramento did. But if he is an elite player, well he's now in the very best place (England wise) and I wish him all the best.

…I don’t really get this ‘pathway’ development. You can have all the pathways to the first team you want but they are meaningless if the youngster isn’t good enough.

I’m of an opinion that if a youngster is outstanding at Everton he’s as much chance of progressing as anywhere. If we’re not bringing players through, it’s because they are not good enough. It’s a massive step up to the quality of PL.

in my opinion, our youngsters are not held back at U23, they are not poorly coached by Unsworth. That argument would have more strength if we are winning FA Youth Cups at U18 level, but we’re not even getting to the latter stages. If we have a good FA Youth Cup run it’s a great indicator of talent.

Not bringing many through is more about recruitment than coaching or pathways. Recruitment is such a problem, youngsters don’t play footy to the extent we did.

Often thought if I had a talented kid Saints would actually be my academy of choice.. they don't fear playing a teen regularly and have for many years churned our EPL level talent..

Seeing a highly talented kid who, as has been said above, plays for a club that would rather play "more experienced" square pegs in round holes than give talent a chance want to move on is not surprising and we should be looking in the mirror.. Hopefully now we get a fee with a good sell on. Maybe the club will look at itself on talent players game time, something me and many others have been complaining about for years.. personally I've given up on a few things with this club and this is at the top of my list..