Everton Youth Teams Thread

It's up to Astley to decide that though isn't it? I'm with you by the way, keeping him and loaning him out - probably to league one at best - seems odd to me, but the club can only make the offer to the player. If he wants to sign the deal that's his choice, we won't be forcing him to do anything he doesn't want to do.
Oh yeah I know that like it'll be up to the player ultimately. I can't even say I wouldn't re-sign myself as alls I would want to do is play for Everton and hold onto that chance as long as possible. He's still a kid and will want to have the chance of PL football. But objectively I'd say that long term for his own career it's just delaying the inevitable at this point. It was more that I didn't see how Astleys development benefitted more from resigning than say joining a champ team, I obviously can't say where his head is at nor have I been in his position or know the financials.

The club offering him a new contract and talking about a 'pathway' (that buzzword again) doesn't seem the best pathway for him as a player when we will be trying to make a profit out of him where as *random championship club* will be wanting to develop him to make him a starter for them but ultimately as you said we aren't forcing him so if he's happy to go along with it who am I to care.

I mean I guess? That's definitely best case Scenario but I'm not sure how much more we stand to gain. Lewis Gibson had a good loan at Fleetwood last season and I don't think clubs were queuing up for him, then he goes to Reading and his stock has fallen again. I'm not sure the development fee+ add ons would be substantially less than a fee we would get after a good loan + wages. It would require back to back good loans and that's by no means a certainty. And I'm still not sure how Astley benefits in all this rather than going to club that will want him for footballing reasons rather than financial
Astley at 19 for me fits the “ don’t know yet, let’s keep him a while” profile , though he’s been overtaken by the younger Branthwaite. Given his exposure to 1st team training he‘d have been on the bench the other night if it wasn’t for his injury. And that about sums us up, one time we think we’ve got midfielders and centre backs coming out of our ears, then we need two 17 year olds on the bench as cover for both areas.
We have the option of keeping both Astley and John at the club until January, seeing how things go with both 1st team cover and them helping to bring on the u18s at U23 level , then letting them go on January loans . Of course they both may decide to opt for a lower league club, but looking at Ledson and Walsh who both chose that route early , nothing is guaranteed either way.

Astley at 19 for me fits the “ don’t know yet, let’s keep him a while” profile , though he’s been overtaken by the younger Branthwaite. Given his exposure to 1st team training he‘d have been on the bench the other night if it wasn’t for his injury. And that about sums us up, one time we think we’ve got midfielders and centre backs coming out of our ears, then we need two 17 year olds on the bench as cover for both areas.
We have the option of keeping both Astley and John at the club until January, seeing how things go with both 1st team cover and them helping to bring on the u18s at U23 level , then letting them go on January loans . Of course they both may decide to opt for a lower league club, but looking at Ledson and Walsh who both chose that route early , nothing is guaranteed either way.
Yeah if it was any other position than centre half I'd be open to keeping him, I think keeping John and loaning him out is smart. But I don't think it's fair to say Welch was there as cover any more than Tyrer was there as cover. Neither of them were going to be used barring an absolute catastrophe and neither would Astley. With that said if we were keeping Astley for the 23s rather than the loan they are earmarking that would make sense to me as it would give Welch a solid partner in 23s and give Astley experience leading the defence. If its a loan in Jan I'm happy with it but it sounds to me like a loan in the summer which seems kind of pointless

*Dont forget, not that you shouldnt know by now, that its Everton v chelsea 12.30ko Tomorrow with the winner facing West brom in the next few weeks*
*Everton are hoping for the chance of a repeat of the 2019 Q/F [after we were knocked out 4-3 after been 2-0/3-2 up]*
*West Brom off course got to their 1st semi final in 41years by beating us*
*Chelsea as said over the weeks have won 26 home youth cup games since they lost the final in 2012*

Everton's Link

Chelsea's Link

1618484805808.png

1618485168895.png

Last edited: