Everton Youth Teams Thread

In fairness they have players from all over the place playing for them, while we have had the ban the last few years, I am still not convinced with the coaching on offer to are young lads, they dont express themselves enough and are stuck in rigid formations to often for my liking.
Just saw Arsenal score their second created then scored by two young players brought through their Acadamy, don’t think we’ll be seeing any from our Acadamy coming through soon, the Unsworth and his fellow coaches are teaching them, doesn’t seem to be much life or enthusiasm by many of tonight’s young players never mind skill.

Just saw Arsenal score their second created then scored by two young players brought through their Acadamy, don’t think we’ll be seeing any from our Acadamy coming through soon, the Unsworth and his fellow coaches are teaching them, doesn’t seem to be much life or enthusiasm by many of tonight’s young players never mind skill.

Dreadfully coached if it all ,sadly jobs for the boys doesn’t get the best out of talented young kids

In fairness they have players from all over the place playing for them, while we have had the ban the last few years,
It is a point that’s been there nearly all season, of tonight’s squad only Nkounkou wasn’t with us from a 16 year old the rest are all home grown. The ban may have affected us buying youngsters at u18 but teams like the RS , City , United also buy for their u23s . Ironically the ones we have brought in last year, Branthwaite and Nkounkou are too good for our U23s . It’s difficult to defend that performance, even Nkounkou failed to stand ,out but there is an overall lack of quality in the team and unless there are injuries none from tonight will be in the squad for Sheff Wed. The positives are that at least we‘re bringing the u18s up to earlier lime Onyango, Kouyate, Cannon and Small .

Assistant manager John Ebbrell saluted a “fantastic team goal” from Everton Under-23s in Monday night’s 1-1 mini-derby draw– but admitted his frustration the young Blues could not press home their advantage after striking early at Southport FC.

The Toffees got off to a dream start, with midfielder Rhys Hughes finishing an incisive Everton move before the clock had struck the one-minute mark.

Liverpool hit back to equalise through Tyler Morton on 35 minutes and, while both sides had opportunities to deliver a decisive blow, the points were shared.

The result means Everton, who had substitute Katia Kouyate sent off late on, remain eighth in the Premier League 2 table.

“It was a tough game,” said Ebbrell.

“Liverpool had more of the ball. We had a good start to the game and scored a great goal – it was a fantastic finish from Rhys. We had the ball on the floor, we moved it fast, the way we like to play. It was a great finish and a good team goal.

“We would have liked to have seen more of that throughout the game. We scored early but we didn’t really dominate.

“But credit to Liverpool, they came back into it and equalised. They made it difficult for us in the second half and we would have liked to have been more of a threat on the counter.

“But if you can’t win, you take a draw.”

Everton’s flew out of the blocks and opened the scoring with the game’s first attack.

Nathan Broadhead played a near one-two with Hughes before sending a low ball into the box for Einar Iversen. The Norwegian cleverly laid the ball off to Hughes, who showcased composure and quality to slot into the bottom corner.

Liverpool responded to the setback well and it needed a superb challenge from Ryan Astley on 21 minutes to keep the scores level. Fidel O'Rourke nicked the ball past Everton goalkeeper Harry Tyrer and looked set to tap into an empty net – Wales Under-21 international Astley hurtled back, however, and made a perfectly-timed goal-saving challenge.

Onyango came close to a second for Everton when his well-hit shot from the edge of the box went just wide – but it was the away side who were to strike next.

Cain’s free-kick was initially blocked by the Everton wall but, after some pinball in the penalty area, Morton lifted the ball into the top corner beyond Tyrer.

Ellis Simms, whose tireless running and smart link-up play impressed throughout, came close to re-establishing Everton’s lead before the break.

The powerhouse striker displayed some excellent footwork to manufacture space for a shot - he attempted to find the near corner but Liverpool goalkeeper Marcelo Pitaluga made a fine save with his outstretched leg.

The Blues were indebted to Tyrer shortly after the half-time interval – the Everton stopper making a spectacular point-blank save to keep out a powerful strike from Billy Koumetio.

Beni Baningime created Everton’s best chance of the second half – the midfielder embarked on a lungbusting run direct at the heart of the Liverpool defence before slipping a pass into Simms’ path.

The striker attempted to place the ball past Pitagula, but the Liverpool keeper was equal to his effort.

After Kouyate was sent off for a poorly-timed challenge on Elijah Dixon-Bonner, the away side almost snatched victory at the death.

Substitute Dixon-Bonner saw low drive from 18 yards whistle fractions past the post.

“We kept going in the second half,” added Ebbrell.

“They had more possession but were always looking to be a danger on the counter.

“We want to have more of the ball, though, and I think we were a bit wasteful at times. That’s something for us to work on. We need to show some more composure at times.

“We look a threat every time we go forward but we just need to be a little bit more controlled, and pick passes at better times.”

I just want them to play the same formation and style as the first team.
Well I actually thought that shape and formation wise we were set out like the first team tonight. When we attacked we’d have a three , if we lost the ball we had five across midfield with Simms on his own up front, the full backs pushed up when they could , the ball was played out from the back. We just didn’t do it very well at times , it’s a bit easier when you’ve got Richarlison, James, Digne etc doing it.

PEREMIER LEAGUE 2 TABLE

1611009848043.png

...the U23s win & challenge for PL2 and posters complain it’s not about winning. U23s in mid-table mediocracy and posters say it’s not good enough.

I think there‘s a stat that Everton have the highest number of PL goalscorers under the age of 21.

I have no idea about Unsworth’s caliber as a youth coach, but I wouldn’t blame him if not many players from the Academy come through. The strategy of buying promising youngsters is surely working: Stones, Holgate, DCL, Lookman, Branthwaite, Nkounkou. Indeed, the indication is Unsworth went to the Board and recommended buying DCL.

Kenny, Gordon & Tom Davies are ex-Academy. DCL, Branthwaite & Holgate were bought into the Academy. The leagues are peppered with ex-EFC youngsters.

i’m critical of too many ex-Everton players on the coaching staff, but our record might stack up with most other clubs at this level.

...the U23s win & challenge for PL2 and posters complain it’s not about winning. U23s in mid-table mediocracy and posters say it’s not good enough.

I think there‘s a stat that Everton have the highest number of PL goalscorers under the age of 21.

I have no idea about Unsworth’s caliber as a youth coach, but I wouldn’t blame him if not many players from the Academy come through. The strategy of buying promising youngsters is surely working: Stones, Holgate, DCL, Lookman, Branthwaite, Nkounkou. Indeed, the indication is Unsworth went to the Board and recommended buying DCL.

Kenny, Gordon & Tom Davies are ex-Academy. DCL, Branthwaite & Holgate were bought into the Academy. The leagues are peppered with ex-EFC youngsters.

i’m critical of too many ex-Everton players on the coaching staff, but our record might stack up with most other clubs at this level.
Therein lies the problem. We are very good at developing pros for a League One level. The graduates we do have in our squad that are totally ‘homegrown’ just aren’t cutting it, while youth brought in from other places is doing a far better job for us.

There’s been a lot of odd decisions from the club at the Academy level down for a number of years. Players like Pennington, Bangimime being stuck at that level for years without being moved on, blocking the development of others, for example.

I think the fact we’ve had Iwobi, Godfrey & Holgate play at RB over Kenny is a bit of a damming assessment in all honesty.

The academy we have is not fit for purpose - that being to develop players for the Senior team.

The issue for me is it needs to be development > results. We’re currently mid-table but also crap at the same time and not really developing anyone. City hardly ever pull up trees in this league but their talent shines through.