Everton Youth Teams Thread

I'm sure this was the plan with Galloway (who to some degree was unfortunate) and with Stones. Colgate may have played himself in with a chance that he could get a final opportunity this summer (or get a decent move to West Brom if they are promoted).

In the end you only know when you give people a chance. With Stones though it was clear the management team thought highly of him, there was no worry about throwing him in at 19 and little talk of him going out on loan. There seems to be a similar feel to Gibson.

You are right about physicality too, he's a very bulky lad but seems to have shot up a bit and looks to me like he could handle the league physically. He may still continue to grow which would be good.

Either way, I wouldn't be in a rush to sign another left back.

Would certainly be nice if he was behind Digne...save us a packet.

....I have come around to thinking he is a CB who can play LB. I was always a bit concerned about his height (not his bulk because he’s a solidly built lad), but the shots of him at USM FF yesterday showed him towering over Unsworth and Coleman.

He might not have finished growing but I am persuaded to agree that his future rests as a left sided CB. I’m reminded of Kevin Ratcliffe who broke into the team as a very ordinary LB, it wouldn’t surprise me if Gibson follows a similar route but he’s a CB as far as i’m concerned.
Yeah he definitely has the build of a centreback but he will likely get his first minutes in the less key left back position.

One thing I’m not sure of though, is Gibson pacey?

Everton u18s beat sunderland u18s 6-0 with simms scoring 4,Adedoyin and carroll with the others,it was simms 3rd hattrick in 6 games-his 5th in the league,his 3rd 4 goal haul in league [Blackburn/newcastle,sunderland today] and he also has one 4 goal haul in cup v west brom],,so scored 4 goals in 4 sep games,his 31st league goal,his 46 of the season,all in 36 games-providing all info is right-suppose we see soon,last game as above is away to man utd 2 weks today and LIVE on MUTV

Yeah he definitely has the build of a centreback but he will likely get his first minutes in the less key left back position.

One thing I’m not sure of though, is Gibson pacey?
I wouldn’t call Gibson pacey at LB in the way we think of Coleman, Digne, Baines more closer to Kenny in terms of pace if that makes sense. My first glimpse of him was playing at LB for England u17 before we bought him and he was getting up and down his line attacking wise , and has proved he’s adequate in an attacking sense, but his strength and build make him a decent “ defender” , capable of covering the LB position while he gains more experience and potentially being a quality CB.

I wouldn’t call Gibson pacey at LB in the way we think of Coleman, Digne, Baines more closer to Kenny in terms of pace if that makes sense. My first glimpse of him was playing at LB for England u17 before we bought him and he was getting up and down his line attacking wise , and has proved he’s adequate in an attacking sense, but his strength and build make him a decent “ defender” , capable of covering the LB position while he gains more experience and potentially being a quality CB.
Makes perfect sense mate.

Bit of a Lescott comparison maybe?

...it’s a very good question. My answer would be he’s not slow.
Good stuff. A pacy left sided centre back is what we have missed since Lescott.

Not getting too ahead of myself but he may eventually be the foil for a Mina type giant partner at the back and that for me is what you need as a minimum at this level; one dominant aerialist and the other adept at the quick recovery.

Good stuff. A pacy left sided centre back is what we have missed since Lescott.

Not getting too ahead of myself but he may eventually be the foil for a Mina type giant partner at the back and that for me is what you need as a minimum at this level; one dominant aerialist and the other adept at the quick recovery.

.....I wouldn’t call him pacey, though. He’s not notably fast. I’ve never thought of him as slouch but i’ve never thought of him as rapid. It was a good question you asked.