Everton Youth Teams Thread

our aim isn't to avoid relegation, for god's sake, it's for top 7. you think the 6 or 7 teams below us averaging less than a point a game are suddenly all going to start averaging two points a game? We're clearly safe, but still have an outside change for europe, so rightly he's not going to start chucking lads from the u18's (jumping ahead of those who have been playing u23's for a couple of years now) into the first team.
Well when do you start chucking them in? Our strikers between them DCL tuson and Niasse have scored what 7-8 goals between them, get the young lads in as what's currently there is nowhere near good enough,

Hows Markelo doing tbought club had hogh hopes for him
He’s having a better second season than his first when he was predominantly played at right back , basically we didn’t have any decent right backs. He was always intended to be a midfielder, and has done quite well as a DFM , but i prefer Adeniran to Markelo. A bit of a gamble , not much money involved and another year left on his contract so a relatively low risk addition. But, perhaps hasn’t set anything alight and he’s not even close to a first team squad place , so we’ll see see how he does in next 15 months.

Well when do you start chucking them in? Our strikers between them DCL tuson and Niasse have scored what 7-8 goals between them, get the young lads in as what's currently there is nowhere near good enough,

i don't think it'd make a difference in all honesty, our strikers have hardly missed loads of chances. I just think the young lads have got to go through the phases, i have my doubts that any of the U23 strikers will make it, so they should probably all be moved on and then next season simms and possibly mampala can be viewed at that level properly for a year or two before being given the chance. I know our strikers aren't great but i'm not sure any of the u23 strikers can say they've been performing too well to not be given a chance. And then the u18 lads are playing against 16 year olds right now, you don't really want to chuck them in too soon. I mean calvert-lewin is well ahead of them in years and experience, but he's still not ready to be starting too much imo.

Unsworth seems to be developing another strong team. I have to say I am always a bit surprised when I see some of the criticism of him as an under 23 coach. We have lots of players who’ve passed through the reserves into the first team. Fair enough many of them may not have developed as we had have hoped but once they are training with the first team that’s very little to do with Unsworth.

The budget for his side is reasonable but by no means the biggest and what you would also say is that in terms of under 18’s while we are generally in the top 10 we are not at the absolute pinnacle of the league. He seems to take players from the 18’s and generally improve them. Broadhead is probably the latest one who has really come on leaps and bounds under him.

If I’m honest with the group, I think we’ve got a lot of decent players but probably nobody quite standing out yet, certainly not amongst the younger players who you would hang your hat on. Feeney, Broadhead, Bowler, Adenarin & Hornby all look impressive but they are 19-20 and I do think that window of opportunity will be closing on them quite quickly. I think all of them will have good careers out of the game, we should get a decent fee for all of tehm with a hefty sell on value but I am not sure they will be ready to play in the first team next summer which is kind of the acid test.

The lads below that probably have a bit more of a chance. I really like the look of Gordon, who as an under 18 is getting into the best reserve team in the league and regularly showing promise. Astley is much the same and Gibson being 2 years younger than Feeney stands him in good stead. They need to keep kicking on, but there is a potential they could make the jump up if they keep improving over the next 18 months or so.

It will be fascinating to know Brands thoughts on it all though. Will he view it as necessary to start including some of these lads for Silva to prevent us having to spend money in the transfer window? At Holland they tend to have a broader longer term plan that involves that approach and maybe he thinks that can work for us? I don’t know, it will be interesting.

Of all the names mentioned while I can say I don’t believe any of the older age will make it and the younger age will need to keep developing I can’t say I’d be surprised if I saw any of them in the first team next season. It might sound a contradiction but young players tend to go in fits and starts, and have surges in development. Most of them are probably a big jump and a bit of good fortune away. None of them would let Everton down, I’m just not quite sure they will be good enough to beat the door down.
I think feeney has a chance personally. And Centre back is probably the one position, where you don’t get many chances in the premier league at 19.

Send him back to Fulham on loan next year in the Championship?

...i thought he had a chance when we bought him, great physicality and athleticism but he struggled for a while. Sometimes the penny drops and a youngster will impress. He cost decent money, so i’m sure the club would like to recoup something but he’s probably in a situation where you’d be wary giving him another contract.

I imagine his performance will be closely monitored for the remainder of the season.

I expect quite a raft of big changes this Summer now Brands has settled in.
He is though fishing in a smal pool. We can’t bring in any promising u18s from the PL / EFL and if FIFA regs are to be obeyed we can’t get u18s from abroad either, maybe we can offer them full professional contracts , not sure , but dodgy ground given our and Chelsea’s bans.
So we’re looking at 18+ - 20 range, above that age we’d be expecting 1st team squad ready players. Very few youngsters in the PL/EFL teams are unknown so most will require a heavy premium . So his main thrust is likely to be abroad, with all the difficulties that entails with youngsters moving to a new country and assessing before hand if they’ll be up for the physicality of English football. And let’s face it , while it hasn’t cost us too much some of our biggest mistakes have come from abroad - Tarashaj, Henen, Leandro, Sandro. But I take your point, and it’s a potentially exciting period if Brands gets to grips with this area.