Everton Youth Teams Thread

FINAL SCORE EVERTON 2 BLACKBURN 0 [Sambou 19/Hornby 30]

Premier League 2 - TOP 4

EVERTON 34 POINTS FROM 17 GAMES
BRIGHTON 30 POINTS FROM 17 GAMES
DERBY 29 POINTS FROM 17 GAMES
LEICESTER 27 POINTS FROM 17 GAMES

As said earlier,the next league u23s game is the u23s Derby 2 weeks tonight at Anfield 7pm ko,and LIVE on LFCTV
Before that its the final game of the u23s Prem League Cup v Sheff utd sunday at 2pm

Look at the utter crap at the top of that league, says its all about how poor this level is.

It's a difficult balance I think.

People love to say that we don't have winners, that the club as a whole doesn't know how to win, that the young players who come through often look lost, and that there's no cohesive strategy which is applied through youth and senior football. When we try to win trophies though, and make decisions in matches with a view to actually winning them rather than everyone just having a gay old time on the pitch and bugger the consequences, people say that's not what we should be doing. I would say it's likely that in senior football the players will often have games where they're asked to shore up and see it through at 2-0.
Does it not make some sense then, to get them used to that, and not have them coming into the first team having spent 10 years in a system where they've always been told not to worry about the result?
You missed my point , which was that we’d have learnt more about Mampala coming on at 75 mins than we would from Foulds.
I honestly didn’t think the defence needed shoring up, we’ve by far the best defensive record in this league and three of the best young defenders we’ve had for a while in Feeney, Astley and Gibson. The defenders gel together, have a clear understanding of what they need to do and the confidence to execute the plan. I’d have been shocked if we’d have let one goal in in the last 15 mins let alone two. I’d have trusted the defenders and concentrated on the attack side, just my view point.

This from Lewis Gibson illustrates the confidence our young defenders have.
“We are very strong defensively at the moment in one-v-ones, and we are aggressive and compact.

"When we go 1-0 up, we feel we can shut up shop and hold onto that.

“Obviously at our level it is not always the same back four but we have just got a way of playing. We all know our jobs and how important defending is and how massive it can have an effect.

Never heard of him.

He’s been with us a few years, I think we got him from Charlton and he’s got Portuguese and Brazilian qualifications. He was touted as a skilful winger, never made much impact last season so we tried him at right full back for a while in the u18s. Again not a lot of impact and when we tried the same with Kyle John , moving him to full back , he was the better player and Neves didn’t feature much afterwards.

We did similar to this last season, telling the 2nd year Scholars early around about Jan /Feb if they weren’t getting a contract and allowing them to get another club. Good luck to him , I think we’ll hear about a few more moving on.

I wonder what’s happened to Kieran Phillips and if he’s injured or being moved on.

You missed my point , which was that we’d have learnt more about Mampala coming on at 75 mins than we would from Foulds.
I honestly didn’t think the defence needed shoring up, we’ve by far the best defensive record in this league and three of the best young defenders we’ve had for a while in Feeney, Astley and Gibson. The defenders gel together, have a clear understanding of what they need to do and the confidence to execute the plan. I’d have been shocked if we’d have let one goal in in the last 15 mins let alone two. I’d have trusted the defenders and concentrated on the attack side, just my view point.

This from Lewis Gibson illustrates the confidence our young defenders have.
“We are very strong defensively at the moment in one-v-ones, and we are aggressive and compact.

"When we go 1-0 up, we feel we can shut up shop and hold onto that.

“Obviously at our level it is not always the same back four but we have just got a way of playing. We all know our jobs and how important defending is and how massive it can have an effect.
No I understood the point, and I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just putting forward an alternative view.

Often what people (not necessarily you in this instance) mean when they say 'we'd have learnt more...' or the like is really 'I wanted us to...'. It's like when people say 'we should see how Simms does at a higher level', what they mean is 'I desperately want to know if Simms is good enough to become a first team player and I will make me feel better if he appears to be progressing really quickly' rather than they think it would be good for his footballing development. It's the same here, there's still lots to be learnt from these things, playing a different formation, changing tactically during a game, players possibly changing position or being asked to perform a different role. My point was that it's not just a case of whether we would have conceded in this particular game, it's whether there's a long term benefit to doing these things, which goes beyond just giving another attacking player a run out for the hell of it.