Match Thread Everton Vs Manchester City - Capital One Cup - Semi Final 1st Leg - Wednesday 6th January - 20:00 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
why does every club feel there is a media bias against them?

pundits etc. have to be objective and critical at some point, that doesn't mean there's a media vendetta against you - just means you played crap.

i'm not reading the page, just the URL.
The feeling that there is an agenda, either from the refs as a whole or the media, seems to effect all team supporters (unfortunately we aren't immune either), regardless of size - bizarre isn't it?!

Although if anything the richer teams seem to complain even more - Mourinho's "ref conspiracy" from last season for example was eagerly adopted by the Chelsea fans. Costa got booked because he made a habit of getting into trouble and got a reputation, nothing to do with any organised vendetta.

Random chance and ineptitude seem to often be mistaken for nefarious outside meddling.

It's a weird one with Toure. For the past 5 years he's been instrumental to our game plans, he's the calm head who picks the ball up off the defense and dictates the pace of the game, he's experienced and knows when the slow down and when to speed up, when we're in possession he's undoubtedly the most comfortable player on the pitch, you'll rarely see him loose possession, but he's getting old. When we won the league in 2014 he scored 20 goals in 35 appearances, I'm sure you'll agree that's a world class statistic for a defensive midfielder, I'd argue he had the most influential role of ANY player since the inception of the Premier League, he was on fire. There were three games in particular that season, Crystal Palace away (the later game after the Gerrard slip) where he was a class above everyone else and scored a screamer for the opener. Aston Villa, the mid week game after we played you, we struggled to break them down and Sunderland in the League Cup final when he scored our equaliser which I'd argue is one of the best goals I've seen. Looking back historically he's had a key role in so many big games (only goal scorer when we beat united at wembley and stoke in the FA cup final, 2 at Newcastle away in the League the first time we won it etc) and I'm starting to think he get's in the squad just in case he can produce something like that again.

That's all when we have the ball.

When we've lost possession he is awful now. He struggles to track runs and is forever getting caught out of position. He's obviously told by Pellegrini to reserve his energy for 'key attacking moments'. He's looks disinterested if things aren't going his way and I'm sure you've all heard stories of 'cakegate' and other times when he feels 'unloved' shortly followed by rumors of transfer requests. I think culturally, African footballers behave in a manner most English football fans would find 'annoying', it's the complete opposite of someone like Lampard who's a battler, who keeps working hard and never acts as thought he's comfortable or established at a club.

I'd have loved us to buy Pogba (wouldn't we all) in the summer. It would have given us a long term replacement for Toure. Pogba could have learnt from arguably the best player in that position, win/win. But now I feel Toure's impact will decline and we'll have to replace him with the likes of Fernandihno, who, even though he's been exceptional this season, isn't in the same league as Toure was.

People will look back at his time here Fondly, but he's past his best and we're a club that should be forever improving now, I think he'll be gone this time next year.

Jeez you like the sound of your own keyboard, please look up succinct in the dictionary. By the time i finish reading this your team could be back in the old 3rd division.

It's a weird one with Toure. For the past 5 years he's been instrumental to our game plans, he's the calm head who picks the ball up off the defense and dictates the pace of the game, he's experienced and knows when the slow down and when to speed up, when we're in possession he's undoubtedly the most comfortable player on the pitch, you'll rarely see him loose possession, but he's getting old. When we won the league in 2014 he scored 20 goals in 35 appearances, I'm sure you'll agree that's a world class statistic for a defensive midfielder, I'd argue he had the most influential role of ANY player since the inception of the Premier League, he was on fire. There were three games in particular that season, Crystal Palace away (the later game after the Gerrard slip) where he was a class above everyone else and scored a screamer for the opener. Aston Villa, the mid week game after we played you, we struggled to break them down and Sunderland in the League Cup final when he scored our equaliser which I'd argue is one of the best goals I've seen. Looking back historically he's had a key role in so many big games (only goal scorer when we beat united at wembley and stoke in the FA cup final, 2 at Newcastle away in the League the first time we won it etc) and I'm starting to think he get's in the squad just in case he can produce something like that again.

That's all when we have the ball.

When we've lost possession he is awful now. He struggles to track runs and is forever getting caught out of position. He's obviously told by Pellegrini to reserve his energy for 'key attacking moments'. He's looks disinterested if things aren't going his way and I'm sure you've all heard stories of 'cakegate' and other times when he feels 'unloved' shortly followed by rumors of transfer requests. I think culturally, African footballers behave in a manner most English football fans would find 'annoying', it's the complete opposite of someone like Lampard who's a battler, who keeps working hard and never acts as thought he's comfortable or established at a club.

I'd have loved us to buy Pogba (wouldn't we all) in the summer. It would have given us a long term replacement for Toure. Pogba could have learnt from arguably the best player in that position, win/win. But now I feel Toure's impact will decline and we'll have to replace him with the likes of Fernandihno, who, even though he's been exceptional this season, isn't in the same league as Toure was.

People will look back at his time here Fondly, but he's past his best and we're a club that should be forever improving now, I think he'll be gone this time next year.

Good post mate. Aye I've always looked from afar and thought he was a top player. Seen him a couple of times this season and thought he looked piss poor and paid particular attention to him against us and just like you mentioned before the match, Besic tackled him high up the pitch and he just sat on his arse for about 40 seconds. I guess time catches up with all players, best thing to do is get rid of them before its too late and the fans turn on him and forget all he's done. We seem to like giving players a year or two too many unfortunately and it then erases a lot of good what the player has done previously.

The feeling that there is an agenda, either from the refs as a whole or the media, seems to effect all team supporters (unfortunately we aren't immune either), regardless of size - bizarre isn't it?!

Although if anything the richer teams seem to complain even more - Mourinho's "ref conspiracy" from last season for example was eagerly adopted by the Chelsea fans. Costa got booked because he made a habit of getting into trouble and got a reputation, nothing to do with any organised vendetta.

Random chance and ineptitude seem to often be mistaken for nefarious outside meddling.

The manager's of the top clubs seem incapable of blaming the players. City were outplayed are lucky they're still in the tie - we wasted a heck of a lot of good positions in that second half - nothing at all to do with the officials who had a very good game to be fair.

These managers all seem to forget about all the helpful decisions they get in the 4/5 games, but only highlight the 1 game in 5 where they go against them. The only reason we'd not beaten pellegrini before was because of official decisions.

Well anyone who's going out of their way to intimidate someone else at a sporting event is obviously an idiot. The only thing you can hope for is that they either mature or get what they deserve; a slap of someone biggger than them, or a knock on the door from the bobbies!

Anyway, I'm going to stop posting on here for today. I feel I've over stayed my welcome haha. In reference to my earlier post, it genuinely wasn't meant to be a wind up, just my honest assesment of the game and what I think will happen in the next leg!

Let's wait and see. Whoever goes through in our semi, I'll be cheering on in the final.

Not really any need for that was there.
Read his first condescending post, he reminds me of several nouveaux rich Citeh fans that i work with, it's good for the soul to remind them of where they were before they were given a new stadium and as a consequence dodgy oil dollars,

I am pretty sure we won't go out due to a 1-0 defeat.

If we were 1-0 diwn at the end if the ninety then we would chuck the kitchen sink at them in extra time and either break them down or they will hit us on the break to score another goal or two themselves.
I think you are right! It would be pretty exciting. I was so heartened by Wednesday. Let's hope we do to them what Chelsea did to us in that semi. Score in first half to make them need three to win. That is a big ask even for them.

...possibly, I'd like to think somebody like Holgate could step. Somebody mentioned going with 3 CBs and that might be worth looking at.

Hm - what would that look like?

----------- Robles -----------
Stones ---- Jags ------- MF
------ Barry ---- Besic-------
Lennon ---- Barkley ------ Clev
------- Kone-------RL ----------

We look weaker down our left like that... I'd put Barkley just off RL instead of Kone and put McCarthy in the hole.

Del, Mirallas, Kone can come on and make an impact and stretch them if we need a goal or Baines, Osman, Gibson to shore-up if needs be.

I do worry a bit about how blunt we are without RL in any set-up.

Northwest Tonight on BBC before - Everton won against "an out of sorts City side". Well that explains it then, Everton were rubbish but City were worse. Do these people actually watch the game or just make things up?

Yeah ignore it - probably a RS or Manc scheduler at the Beeb :)

What makes me laugh though is even with Phil McnUlty (who I believe is an Everton follower) chief writer at Beeb and Mike Parry (TalkSport) that the 'top 4' mentality still prevails. Where are the pundits pointing at the better value being created from Everton, Spurs, Stoke, Palace, Leicester, West Ham etc? Chelsea and Utd are a _debacle_ especially when you look at the money (like RS) utterly squandered. Tottenham could be well in there in this year...

So I personally treat a lot of media punditry as 'me too' juniors churning out opinion that fits the general flow of things (or their boss's view) in the world of ad-laden red top tabloid SKY nonsense.

Much more to learn more from the fans who are there wathcing week in and out over YEARS, and love this forum. GOT :)

Do you reckon nother factor in Wed's surprise result is Everton's poor sequence against of bottom half clubs in the last 2 months? Quite aside from denting our own legitimate chance of a CL spot in this year's season, I think this is the reason more media haven't spoken up for Weds night strong performance more favourably. It looks like a surprise, because on the face of it it's against (a hopefully now past) bad run.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.