Match Thread Everton v Wolves - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We weren't left with a choice between only two managers. Other teams no more attractive than us have appointed quality managers. Villas-Boas, Sampaoli, Favre and Joachim Low were all available when we aimed Lampard. All of them had better track records than FL. Everton fans were calling for Lampard - he was clearly topping the polls when they appointed him. We deserve everything we get.
Yes but you know what I mean, I said it's on the board we didn't chose the shortlist did we? I wouldn't have picked Lampard if we could have anyone either but that was the shortlist "we were left with a choice between" (for whatever reason including our boards lack of imagination with candidates, our unattractive position in the table, a meddling owner and our financial position) this board looked at and interviewed. So given the choice of course we were.

Last edited:
Some never learn...

Wolves need wins (As did Bournemouth x2), Wolves need goals (As did Bournemouth x7).

If there is one team in the league that is more accommodating to the oppositions needs it is Everton.

That is why the term EVERTON THAT exists and the eventual downfall of this club.

I agree that the board is the source of all Everton evil - but I see Lampard as simply an extension of their nefarious incompetence. He was their choice. He is their place man. He is another in the long line of their proven mistakes.

I want the manager to win matches. If he wins today and beats Brighton next week, he'll give himself a fighting chance. We all want this. But if he doesn't, then this is where I deviate from your point of view. I think he will need to be replaced - and quickly. Of course, there is no guarantee these incompetent chancers who run the club will replace him adequately. After all, it is their consistently disastrous selection of managers that has hamstrung us. But I see no reason to passionately defend a proven failure - which is, sadly, what Frank is fast becoming by the match.

As for our spiral: that will continue for as long as this current board remains in situ. The manager will always only be a sympton of their malaise - but there is always a small chance they make a good call, accidentally, in spite of themselves, whereas sticking with failing Frank if things continue as they currently are guarantees disaster.

Here's to a good win today and three points to give him - and us - a fighting chance.
Don't disagree with much of that, I'm not passionately defending him just explaining why I don't believe sacking another manager will help(beyond maybe a short term boost in results) several reasons the squad never gets rebuilt properly we have no vision if we keep hiring and firing. But yes if he can't get results and isn't the right man we will be forced to but whilst acknowledging his faults tactically and as a coach, we have to understand the bad hand he has been dealt (the squad isn't good enough it hasn't the goals and creativity in it to be comfortable)and as you said the central issue is the constant mismanagement of our board. I agree with your final point I hope for a win today and more results to come it's key given our run in looks very tough.

My prediction is that we’ll start alright and have a few in here talking about how the break did us good. We’ll run out of steam after 15 mins and be lucky to go in 0-0 at the half. Another good 10-15 at the start of the second half will have some lauding Frank’s team talk before we succumb to a sucker punch around the hour mark. There’ll be a flurry of useless subs with about 15 to go before we limply see out a 0-1 defeat to deafening chorus of Chrimbo boos.

0 shots on target, naturally.

I seriously doubt he'll start. Yet, I still think a solid performance today will be enough to beat Wolves.
I also doubt it. But we've proven almost every game that without him we're barely capable of shooting on target, never mind winning games, even against the poorest of teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.