Match Thread Everton v West Ham United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see us doing better in the next two PL games against Wolves and AV, but I give my self a luxury of hope

No MOTM nomination from me - I thought that they were almost all rubbish.
We all have bad days at the "office".
Begs the question whether all this talk about burn out , exhaustion , tiredness etc ., is massively over played , as our lot should have had plenty of rest.
Watched a few documentaries about NFL players recently re addiction to painkillers , and how they have to play through quite shocking problems , that haunt them years after they have stopped playing. It makes you think , whether football players over here need to give their heads a wobble.
Before the normal jibes start , I am local , not American , but that is irrelevant in any case.
Anyway , Moyes , as usual , has got a great tune out of a limited orchestra. Do I want him to replace Carlo , No !. But credit where it is due , he is doing a good job there , and they did a job on us this evening.

I wrote the same in other post when looking at the joy of most fans here . This kind of play won't take You far , yes , Everton won 4 with defensive táctics but the thing is , when You defend that close to your goal anithing can happen (as it finally did with that ricochet goal) and more importantly , You can't rely on the oposition to make mistakes , You have yo be able to force those mistakes .

Agree with this.

tonight we tried so many right to left diagonals to Richarlison almost all were dealt with and Richarlison was god awful.

we made too many sideways and backwards passes, not much risk taking, Gylfy was particularly poor.

no midfielders breaking the lines to provide runs for positive passing coupled with having no players to play the passes.

no effective overload or overlap on the wide areas and nothing of qualify coming in when we did get to the byline

West Ham, particularly Ogbanna, having a superb game.

Gomes and James coming on gave some thrust but the goal completely killed us.

all in all it was a very poor showing but given the amount of games played and who we have played we probably would have taken the the points we got and it would nice to have stayed in the cup. Carlo hit the nail on the head post match and I’ve no doubt he’ll be putting things right going forward.

Reactions: Lao

Exactly ten years ago, we lost 2-0 to Stoke on New Years Day. It was an awful performance, but we always felt that a bit of extra money and a couple of new faces would drastically improve the situation.

Save for Martinez' 1st season (2013/14) and this autumn, literally nothing has changed in a decade since that defeat to a Potters side that bore many similarities to tonight's WHU team.

In short, we are utterly fetid turd who only turn up once relegation is a possibility. I regret ever supporting this club, but it's too late to quit. Like Spud in trainspotting, I can't go back. I'm too far gone.

With middle age and high blood pressure (created by EFC) just around the corner, and my love of processed meat, continental cheeses and single malt utterly incurable, I'm not going to make 50.

My money's on an instant cardiac around 48 ish, probably during our next derby win knowing my luck - everything will just go black. Not a bad way to go. No pain, no time to regret living a healthier lifestyle or choosing a less-stressful team.

I've already made peace with that, but I'd like to win a sodding trophy before then! But it's out of the question, because we're a loser club. End of.
Very true, it's hard being a Blue, other clubs have gone to Anfield, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates and won or they've had decent cup runs, we haven't done anything since 2009 when we got to the final. We were cruising in the first leg against Sporting Lisbon until Rodwell effed it up. Beat Chelsea in the replay then lost to Reading at home, lost to Liverpool in the semi final, lost to Wigan in 2013.

Could of easily qualified for the champions league in 2014, when you think of the points we dropped against West Brom, Palace, Sunderland, and Cardiff. Lost to Kiev in that awful game, lost to City and United in the semi finals in 2016. Next season got knocked out of both cup competitions in the first round, got knocked out by the RS the next season, knocked out by Millwall then Liverpool reserves the next season.

We haven't beaten the RS in more than 10 years, haven't beaten them at Anfield in 22 years, really all we ever do is beat average teams at home sometimes away, we beat teams like Arsenal and Chelsea at home then lose to Leeds and West Ham. I don't think the problem lies with the managers, because they've come and gone and it's still the same, I think that a lot of it's due to the plucky little Everton mentality that Kenwright fostered.

Our two best players (Allan and Digne) are currently absent and we have no squad depth. Despite this we're still in the top 4. Things have been a lot worse.

One of these days I'm going to figure out what it is we are trying to do in the attacking sense. Because it honestly is just so terrible to watch way too often. There is just so many layoffs and flicks and whatnot to absolutely nobody. It's like they don't even practice it.

Shows how far away we are from being a top 4 club. Moyes never won against a top 4 club in his tenure as Everton manager yet beats us tonight. nWe are far from being top 4 for that reason solely

Who scores most of our goals?
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin

How do most of those goals go in?
- First time finishes after the ball is played in from wide areas

How we do we get the ball to wide areas with enough space to cross?
- Work it from the CB’s through the middle, draw the opposition players in, then switch out wide quickly.

Problem:
- Richarlison and Rodriguez both cut inside from their flanks; this means that the person outside them on the overlap needs to deliver it.

- These deliveries are coming from a right-footed centre back in Ben Godfrey on our left, and Seamus Coleman / Mason Holgate on our right. Not one of those three players can truly whip a ball into the box for a striker to convert first time in the way that, eg Lucas Digne can

Status
Not open for further replies.