Match Thread Everton v West Ham United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say we deserved a draw on the balance of play both keepers were hardly overworked

If we are honest we probably deserved a point against Sheffield United in the last game so can't have any major complaints. The goal was ridiculous though and it grated seeing old grey man Moyes benefit from it

The system is a mess in possession. It didn't work the last few weeks but it didn't matter and we won anyway. Today it mattered.

I think a way to take stress off the midfield three is to have real fullbacks who can help. James taking Gylfi's spot also helps but Carlo seems to want him always on the right. Which throws off the balance even when Coleman does play because Coleman is bad with the ball.

There are just problems, I don't know how to fix them all, but I do know we should flipping try.
I don't know why he changed it from what we saw v Leicester and Chelsea.

We played a definite 4-2-3-1 in both of those games. We did it in the main v Arsenal, though in possession it was more of a 4-3-3.

Man Utd was a mess and Sheff Utd too, but he changed it by bringing Bernard on and taking Davies off, so at least Sigurdsson was in that position to snatch a goal.

Don't get me wrong, it's still up to the players to actually do stuff. They can move around. But it's such an easy shape to defend against when it's static. Bringing Tosun on wasn't gonna change that.

Back 4 did well apart from Seamus who was quite obviously not match fit and Godfrey who played well but didn't get out quick enough for the goal. Midfield. Woeful apart from the Duke who for the most part worked hard and was our main threat. But just didn't have any options most of the time. Sigurdsson is an absolute fraud of a footballer who...... Well, I've run out of negative things to say about him. The front 3, do me a favour I watched better in the 70,s when we where inconsistent to say the least but at least we came close to winning the league and getting to cup finals with some of the worse players I've seen in an Everton shirt. I'm sorry. I'm so angry and frustrated at the moment when I see teams like West Ham who are average at best, come to Goodison and we offer nothing against them.

If you had said we would get 12 points from the last 5 games you would have been laughed at.
If you had said we would get 12 points from those games and still feel gutted, you would have been sectioned.
How we respond to this defeat will define our season. The next 2 league games are crucial.

Stuff like this gets said a lot and I understand it, however...

If you had said you would get zero points from the last 1 game I would be absolutely fuming.

The big problem is it kind of negates the other results, there is no point getting bonus points in tough fixtures if you then lose those points in "easier" games.

We have been doing this for years.

Also how on earth have we not won at home on New Years Day since 1990. What is that all about? That's a shocking record.

I don't know why he changed it from what we saw v Leicester and Chelsea.

We played a definite 4-2-3-1 in both of those games. We did it in the main v Arsenal, though in possession it was more of a 4-3-3.

Man Utd was a mess and Sheff Utd too, but he changed it by bringing Bernard on and taking Davies off, so at least Sigurdsson was in that position to snatch a goal.

Don't get me wrong, it's still up to the players to actually do stuff. They can move around. But it's such an easy shape to defend against when it's static. Bringing Tosun on wasn't gonna change that.
We end up in a 4-1-5 a lot. It's pretty bad stuff. I know everyone is on about security at the back and it is good it is, but goals win games and we are entirely too reliant on scrapiness and luck to get them right now.

Where did I say we shouldn’t have depth?

Didn't mean it to come across as that way, I know that's not what you meant.

Just mean it's crap that we have no depth. It shouldn't be the case.

My issue with the recruitment is that nothing has changed from October. What we're lacking now was obvious then.

We end up in a 4-1-5 a lot. It's pretty bad stuff. I know everyone is on about security at the back and it is good it is, but goals win games and we are entirely too reliant on scrapiness and luck to get them right now.

Yup, a bit of magic to win games. That's not sustainable. Mad to think that we were scoring for fun only a few months ago.

was a similar performance to the last 4 games, tactics basically sit back and hope to nick a goal, it worked in them games but could’ve easily went the other way. That dull negative style is never sustainable over a longer period
I wrote the same in other post when looking at the joy of most fans here . This kind of play won't take You far , yes , Everton won 4 with defensive táctics but the thing is , when You defend that close to your goal anithing can happen (as it finally did with that ricochet goal) and more importantly , You can't rely on the oposition to make mistakes , You have yo be able to force those mistakes .

Status
Not open for further replies.