Match Thread Everton v Sunderland. 1st Nov at 1330.

Who's in your goal?

• Tim Howard

Votes: 23 8.3%
  • Joel Robles

Votes: 132 47.5%
  • Neville Southall

Votes: 123 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha Ha ha. Great response to an Echo article today concentrating on defensive errors rather than the 6-2 humping handed out to S'land:

lol
Great riposte in the Echo but TBH anyone reading some of the posts on this thread would think we nicked the game by sheer luck. If you can't celebrate a 6-2 thumping of the opposition then when can you celebrate?!?

Kone, Del & Rom were immense in attack while our CB's are still forming a new partnership and our defensive line-up is far from settled. If the former keeps playing that way and the latter improves we've got a hell of a chance of handing out another thumping or two this season. Looking forward to the run of games we've got coming up after that performance... COYB!
Agree lads.

While we all admit that we could be better defensively in general, we should also very much appreciate that we won the game 6-2. That's a 6-2 win. For Everton.

At some point the positive must be focused on.

must admit I eventually enjoyed the win but when I talked to my family when I got home I was critical of our performance.

must admit I eventually enjoyed the win but when I talked to my family when I got home I was critical of our performance.
Nothing wrong with being realistic, I just thinks it's daft the way some have focused solely on the negative aspects of a 6-2 win.

Re watched the second half and we completely pumped them.
Took it up another level and they just couldn't deal with us

I like that they thought they could win when they equalised so lobbed 8 players forward so we dry humped them into next week the filthy fake Geordie bells.
Their high line was a bit mad in retrospect.
Played balls in behind them all day.

Apparently we play second tier games at Goodison and they play top tier games at the stadium of light. He makes some good points but that line had me laughing

That is spot on, especially the last bit about the finances for a new stadium... Pull your finger out Bill and make it happen... It's embarrassing

Sour grapes due to a 6-2 defeat?

And don't forget the Sunderland fan who wrote that letter to the club and local press praising us all.

Sour grapes due to a 6-2 defeat?

And don't forget the Sunderland fan who wrote that letter to the club and local press praising us all.

I thought that he was 'in his own way' praising us...both the team and the club..and we constantly moan about the old lady so gotta admit that, despite the sad thought of leaving Goodison, it is sadly lacking in today's footie world

I remember when it was the envy of virtually every club in the country...how times have changed

Apparently we play second tier games at Goodison and they play top tier games at the stadium of light. He makes some good points but that line had me laughing

Think he means the pricing tires i.e. top tier games against united, Liverpool Chelsea etc, tier 2 games against Tottenham, stoke, Southampton etc.

I thought that he was 'in his own way' praising us...both the team and the club..and we constantly moan about the old lady so gotta admit that, despite the sad thought of leaving Goodison, it is sadly lacking in today's footie world

I remember when it was the envy of virtually every club in the country...how times have changed

Archibald Leitch completed the four two-tiered stands at Goodison in 1938. But in 1936 Arsenal had already demolished their main stand, built by Leitch in 1913, and built the second of their two new main stands.

Arsenal rebuilt Highbury in the 1930s. The idea was to create a ground for London that could capture the grandeur of Villa Park, home of Aston Villa. The Highbury project was ambitious in its scale and reach, the first stand completed being the West Stand, designed by Claude Waterlow Ferrier and William Binnie in the Art Deco style, which opened in 1932. Leitch's main stand was demolished to make way for a new East Stand, matching the West, in 1936.

In 1906, the doubled-decker Goodison Avenue Stand was built behind the goal at the south end of the ground.
Archibald Leitch designed the Goodison Road Stand with construction in 1909.
The two-tier steel frame and wooden floor Bullens Road Stand, designed by Archibald Leitch, was completed in 1926.
The ground became an entirely two-tiered affair in 1938 with another Archibald Leitch stand at the Gwladys Street end.

Goodison Road Stand was built in sections from 1969 to 1971, replacing the large double-decker 1909 Archibald Leitch designed stand.

The design of this stand was out of date before it was built; Sheffield Wednesday had opened their 10,000 seater cantilever stand in 1961.

The Park End single tiered stand broke from the multi-tiered tradition of Goodison Park. The Park End has the smallest capacity at Goodison Park. The new stand was opened on 17 September 1994 with a capacity of 5,750

This was an unambitious single tier stand without executive boxes. Old Trafford had included the first private boxes in 1965.

Archibald Leitch completed the four two-tiered stands at Goodison in 1938. But in 1936 Arsenal had already demolished their main stand, built by Leitch in 1913, and built the second of their two new main stands.

Arsenal rebuilt Highbury in the 1930s. The idea was to create a ground for London that could capture the grandeur of Villa Park, home of Aston Villa. The Highbury project was ambitious in its scale and reach, the first stand completed being the West Stand, designed by Claude Waterlow Ferrier and William Binnie in the Art Deco style, which opened in 1932. Leitch's main stand was demolished to make way for a new East Stand, matching the West, in 1936.

In 1906, the doubled-decker Goodison Avenue Stand was built behind the goal at the south end of the ground.
Archibald Leitch designed the Goodison Road Stand with construction in 1909.
The two-tier steel frame and wooden floor Bullens Road Stand, designed by Archibald Leitch, was completed in 1926.
The ground became an entirely two-tiered affair in 1938 with another Archibald Leitch stand at the Gwladys Street end.

Goodison Road Stand was built in sections from 1969 to 1971, replacing the large double-decker 1909 Archibald Leitch designed stand.

The design of this stand was out of date before it was built; Sheffield Wednesday had opened their 10,000 seater cantilever stand in 1961.

The Park End single tiered stand broke from the multi-tiered tradition of Goodison Park. The Park End has the smallest capacity at Goodison Park. The new stand was opened on 17 September 1994 with a capacity of 5,750

This was an unambitious single tier stand without executive boxes. Old Trafford had included the first private boxes in 1965.

Counters with:

The 1960s, like the 1930s, saw Everton win the Championship twice and the FA Cup once, and in 1966 Goodison Park staged five games in the World Cup, including that memorable quarter final between North Korea and Portugal and the semi-final between West Germany and the Soviet Union.
No other English venue apart from Wembley staged so many World Cup games.
The next ground development took place in 1971, when the 1909 double-decker Main Stand on Goodison Road was demolished to make way for a massive new three-tiered Main Stand. The old stand had cost £28,000 and was then considered immense. The new stand cost a huge £1 million and was nearly twice the size, and was the largest in Britain until 1974, when Chelsea opened their mammoth East Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.