Match Thread Everton v Spurs. 3rd Jan at 1600.

How do we make Everton boss?

• Sort the goalkeeper out

Votes: 183 41.4%
  • Get Jagielka in and the defence sorted

Votes: 83 18.8%
  • Change the Manager

Votes: 42 9.5%
  • Show some patience with the young team

Votes: 56 12.7%
  • I just watch the games and can't be arsed with all this

Votes: 35 7.9%
  • I'm a Chinese spam robot you ted

Votes: 43 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come in DNSNO...he's been vilified for being too attack minded so he tightens up against an excellent team and you're knocking him....his tactics and starting 11 were on point today as were the subs.
I don't agree with Kone at all to be honest, he's just been crap in the last few months (since his hat trick or so really, even then he wasn't great, but he was taking part in the goals, so that kind of made up for him being poop).

Plus there is such a thing as being too defensive imo, and we did it in the first half and were lucky not to conceded a few.

It wasn't bordering on embarrassing at all. By far from our best performance but we took the lead with a well-worked counter attack and it was obviously our game-plan to sit back and soak up pressure and keep it tight (which we did), and then to come out and attack in the second half.

They had four chances in the first half
Everton were comprehensively outplayed in the first half and 1-1 flattered them.

Full credit for the turnaround after half-time, but to say it was anything other than poor before that is disingenuous.

The first half bordered on embarrassing, but they picked it up in the second and pretty much matched a very good team.

I was really pleased for Besic. He's had to be extremely patient, but hopefully more opportunities will come after he showed the sort of bite and quality that Everton sorely lack in the middle.

Lukaku looks about ready for a rest. Martinez needs to look at increasing his options up front, or else the lad is going to be on his arse sooner rather than later.
Carlito! Lukaku hasn't scored for a game and you're back on him.

Loving your style man. The forum needs more consistency like you.

This tosh that's taken hold that Spurs were great first half. They weren't. The only fluent football played in the whole match was when Everton got on the ball in a handful of moves second half and zipped it about front to back with a few passes.

Spurs are an athletic but functional team.

This tosh that's taken hold that Spurs were great first half. They weren't. The only fluent football played in the whole match was when Everton got on the ball in a handful of moves second half and zipped it about front to back with a few passes.

we smahed em second half davek lad, whats with this dropping gerry lark?

Their keeper made two top class saves from Besic and Barkley, whilst Howard didn't have to make any. Both teams scored good goals. There are very, very fine margins between Spurs and Everton in terms of ability, quality of play and technical approach. I'm sure people will mock but like you I think Martinez is building something special.
I think you are correct, I just wish he would tweak his tactics a bit, we do look very un balanced, the left wing really needs addressing. It's strange really out of the starting 11 today I wouldn't swap any of their players for ours, a part from the goalkeepers, sky and the media rave on about Kane and Alli, but I wouldn't swap them for Barkley and Lukaku IMO our 2 have a lot more about their game than the spurs 2.

I thought Spurs were quite impressive. But in saying that, they didn't really create anything of note (aside from some belting long-range cracks that could have easily crept in) until the goal, which was a belter.

Second half we were excellent, aided by Besic really getting about and making the game a bit physical. We need that. But the defence was better, Howard wasn't as tested and we were a smidge unlucky not to pinch it.

I thought Spurs were quite impressive. But in saying that, they didn't really create anything of note (aside from some belting long-range cracks that could have easily crept in) until the goal, which was a belter.

Second half we were excellent, aided by Besic really getting about and making the game a bit physical. We need that. But the defence was better, Howard wasn't as tested and we were a smidge unlucky not to pinch it.
I think they're more solid than stylish. They got lucky in that we have a bigger game than that one to get set for and decisions on who to start had to be made to account for that.

Probably a fair result at the end of the day.

The first half was a re-run of Spurs' last visit where EFC hardly saw the ball. I was happy that Dembele was
missing otherwise it might have been even one-sided. I was squirming watching Spurs knock it around. Very happy for Lennon's goal but otherwise he was quiet and as for Kone..

With Del Boy and Besic coming on and Barkley moving upfield, matters improved and the squirming ended and
I was confident that we would nick it. Barry came out on top and thank God that Howard did not have to catch many balls.

Another exciting game from the blues but mid-table is beckoning and the summer anguish of checking everyday to see if Lukaku has been sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.