Match Thread Everton v Southampton 1/3/21 - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Felt like we almost didn’t realize the second goal was called off. The energy level dropped after that, and we played the rest of the game as if we were coasting with a 2-0 lead. That and it was obvious that they weren’t much threat to score at all except from set pieces. Just seemed like we wanted to do only what was needed to get it over the line and nothing more.

Dukes needs a rest. He keeps moving the whole game, but his quality on the ball has noticeably dropped the last few games. Alan was a bit rusty and not quite up to game fitness just yet. Solid game by Andre Gomes, though, doing a lot of the connecting work especially later in the second half.

Honestly, given how emotionally draining the derby and its aftermath must have been, I’ll take any win here. It was never likely to be a completely sharp, amazing display.

That's the only cravat on the win. Could've been more positive to kill the game, but he's pragmatic and we haven't won a game at home for an age.

Hopefully gives the a boost to believe more at home
See, I don't think that was pragmatism.

The best way to win a game is what 'pragmatism' is in football - and the best way to win today was to kill them off. Doesn't have to be free-flowing, but get that second and it's done.

Appreciate it's a fine margin, but it was negative today IMO. I'm chuffed we won, but it was blatantly obvious what we needed.

Anyway, a win's a win. I just hope it gives an end to the shouts of playing a diamond. It isn't a system we should use.

Changes I hope for the WBA game. It is hard juggling players for games coming fast, but we had a long time of rest before this game and still turned out that terrible performance. Maybe give battling Southampton some credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.