Match Thread Everton v Sheffield United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Liverpool are too far away now and in the last 3 games we need to better the points of West Ham and Spurs. More than capable of beating Sheff Utd and Wolves but think we are losing at City in what with be their crowning/party day, so 6 points maximum IMO.

Only problem is :-

West Ham in 6th have Brighton, West Brom and Southampton in their last fixtures, you`d think they`d get at least 6 points from that. Their goal difference is +6 better than ours, if we get 6 points the only way we will go above them is if they get 3 points from those fixtures, which I can not see.

Spurs in 7th have Wolves, Villa and Leicester. We are level on points so it looks like a straight fight, and even though we got City I think ours is favourable but due to goal difference, theirs is +16 better we need them to drop points in 2 of them games. If they win 2 I think that ends our chances, we need Villa and Leicester to do us a favour.

Arsenal in 9th just 1 point back only have 2 games left which are Palace and Brighton. I think they will pick up 6 points from these almost guaranteed and will only be a problem if we pick up less than the 6 points we need from Sheff Utd and Wolves due to them having a +8 better goal difference......

Still in our hands but we must, MUST beat Sheff Utd and Wolves to stand a chance. If we don`t I think that`s it for any thoughts of Europe, the SKY 6 wont get a points deduction, the PL would not even dare, it`ll get brushed away like it didn`t happen.

2-1 to them. Brewster and Jagielka with the goals. Carlo to say there wasn't enough spirit from the players. Rinse and repeat.

Our season has well and truly fizzled out. After our first six games we were looking good, unbeaten and scoring for fun going into the international break.
Then missing only Richarlison from the team that played so well, we lose to Southampton and Newcastle away and started to revert back to the same old story. With all other teams starting badly we have failed to take advantage of coming flying out of the blocks and now instead of finishing top four or five or even sixth there's a real likely hood that we'll end up behind Arsenal in 9th.

The most disappointing thing about this season though has been the fact that we have taken 4 points from Leicester, Liverpool and Spurs and are still behind them with a woeful goal difference, and despite doing the double over Arsenal they are just a point behind us.

Sheffield United have looked very poor since relegation was confirmed, so surely we can't mess this one up.

They'll win comfortably now that the pressure is off.

Last nights efforts saw to that.
Pressure shouldn't be off us, we just need more points than spurs in last 3 games, so the games still matter and players shouldn't have their flip flops on just yet.

Recorded after the villa game

Tint touch of what was said
They [Sheffield United] want to finish the season with dignity and that's absolutely normal. We have to pay attention because the home run was not good and so we would like to close this season at home with two good results. We were really good defensively [away from home] because we were focused and most of the games, we planned to play well defensively

To try to use the counter attack. "Honestly we were much, much better away than home; because at home we've tried to put more pressure in front and sometimes we didn't have the necessary balance to avoid an opponent's counter-attack.

Carlo Ancelotti on Ben Godfrey.

Godfrey has been absolutely outstanding this season & must surely be in manager Gareth Southgate's thoughts for the Euros, especially given his excellence right across the defensive postions.

Carlo Ancelotti on Doucoure
Doucoure did well, it seems that he was not out for two months," the Blues boss added.
He was comfortable the pitch, he showed above all in the second half a lot of energy. So I'm really pleased for his performance.
He didn't play for two months and it was a big absence for us. I'm pleased that we have him back

Last edited:

Some of the sheff utd boss Paul Heckingbottom press conference​

Team news for Everton​

We've picked up a few niggles. Burke has got a fracture in his foot, Sander has picked up a niggle and won't take any risk there and will assess him between now and the end of the season.

Will Berge play again​

Won't take any risks. Let me stress, nothing to do with his previous injury, 100% fine on that, but the nature of it, he's been out for so long and been pushing himself to be back fit and has picked up a natural niggle that comes along with it.
We won't be risking it, if he's fit fine, but where we are now we won't risk him

Is Burke serious​

We have to be led by the scans on that
When you get a fracture on the foot you can heal naturally or need surgery and pins, so we will wait on the scans and see what comes back and what the advice is.

Ampadu has not featured, is he OK​

He's got pelvic issues, which most footballers have, he's been managing that and it has gradually flared up.
He will probably be out for the season.

Does that mean more under 23s could feature​

We've had five training with us today and with three games in a week more could feature, so if we can't get people back fit and the bench is full of younger players, it's full of younger players

Is it better to drip feed into a winning team​

That's the easiest way, bringing players in to a winning team, but I have said it all along players have to deserve it they have to be next in line in that position and be ready for it
I have seen players harmed by playing too soon. You can be physically ready but not mentally ready to deal with what comes with playing

What's the latest with Oli McBurnie​

You have all seen and you all know the news
I and the club are reluctant to comment while it's a police matter - we will do all we can to help with enquiries. You will all have an opinion on that but that's all we can speak about until things are concluded

Is there a lot of uncertainty around the place​

There will be, you can't pretend there isn't because no one knows what's happening, the reason it's strange is because we have had a long period of consistency
You should always be giving everything anyway but the uncertainty is around the club and the shape of it but it will sort itself out soon enough and everyone can get on with it and look forward

Do you need clarity about your position as well​

Nothing has changed in my eyes, focus changed because I was named on the shortlist, so the questions changed and everyone starts speaking differently

Three games to go, any changes in attitude since relegation confirmed​

You could have said maybe first couple of games, it's been a really strange situation for everyone.
Everyone is speaking about next season and from my point of view that's no good because we still have games to play and I understand that, but if that is your focus you're not going to have your eye on the games and that's what I am doing trying to make sure that focus is right

Everton up next, what you expecting​

Expecting us to give everything to try and get points and hoping that we win.
Even from the start, if you look at data only Leeds have outrun us, it's not fight, you can tell people to run they will run it's that spark, adrenaline that bit that is missing.
If this was a semi-final everyone would be fit and there would be a buzz about the place, but that's what's missing

What challenges do Everton pose​

Team of top players and match winners in different positions, we know the threat.
They have been inconsistent, that's led to lots of different shapes and tactics so from that aspect they have not been easy to pin down - we know the quality of the individuals but until we see them we will have to wait to see what system they play, but you come up against different systems all the time.

Do these players have the ability to bounce back next season​

These players have done it before, lots of evidence to suggest that and evidence of the other clubs
The teams that have gone down who have been smooth about the transition I see no reason not to be optimistic on that front

How good has Ramsdale been this season​

Been impressed with him - seen most of the games and he came in for criticism earlier in the season
He made a point-blank save against West Brom and we went and won the game - it ws probably offside but no one knew that at the time
I text Wardy (goalkeeping coach) because I felt Aaron deserved it and that for me was a big big moment and he has never looked back

Status
Not open for further replies.