Match Thread Everton v Salford City, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
...it is a fair, though, to compare Kenny to Nkounkou and see the dimension the young left back adds to this squad. It’s the aspiration we should pursue on the right.

He looks good but it has also been one game (against League two opposition as some people are delighted to point out).

The game was almost a throw back to last season the difference being we won and had Nkounkou nothing more but no reason to think it would be any better is there?
Because we played well at the weekend won't change the way some are not up to it ,we have to be realistic as the three players making the difference then were not on the field.
We are though through to the next round and that will do for now .

...it is a fair, though, to compare Kenny to Nkounkou and see the dimension the young left back adds to this squad. It’s the aspiration we should pursue on the right.
Kenny is a full back of the old school, Nkounkou has the makings of a real modern full-back, but could easily develop it to something more. This season we should go with Coleman/Kenny but you're right on our aspirations.

Overall that was a vert straight forward win, much to Sky’s disappointment.

The positives

Gordon is the perfect cover for Richarlison on the left. He’s an incredible young talent and he’ll learn a lot this season from the likes of Richie and Rodriguez and the fact he’s not going to be first choice this year will ease expectations on the lad which is a good thing. The last few times we’ve had a promising talent they’ve buckled under the weight of expectation so hopefully Gordon can progress at his own pace without calls for him to start every game and just keep improving.

Nkoukou showed he;s ready now to be Dignes cover. I love that he’s completely different to Digne and Baines too. My man of the match.

Keane again was very solid and a great goal.

Firmly in the middle is Gylfi, now I got some stick for not praising him enough on twitter but I think what I said was fair. When he has time and the ball at his feet he can be brilliant. The problem is when he’ doesn’t have the ball, certainly in defensive situations he just disappears and better teams, prem teams won’t give him that time. He looked decent against league 2 opposition which is the minimum you’d expect from him. On a side note fair play for giving the penalty to Kean.

The negatives

Davies poor again. He lost the ball within the first 30 seconds and I lost count of the number of times he would go forward with the ball and then turn and pass it back to Keane. Chalk and cheese with the likes of Allan and Doucoure at the weekend who were progressive and driving forward. Again this is league 2 opposition and he should have been bossing that midfield.

Kenny…. Bang average. Totally shown up by Nkoukou on the left, if you asked me which one had prem experience and had spent a season playing first team in Germany it wouldn’t have been him. Getting a better RB has to be a priority now.

Kean – I just don’t get him. I don’t get what he does. He can’t hold up the ball, he doesn’t run, when it was handed to him on a plate he fluffed it. I get his confidence is down but again League 2 opposition. He should have run those CB’s ragged. You’re playing for the right to line up with the likes of Rodriguez but he looks so disinterested! If an offer came in or we could trade him to fill a position we need I’d get rid.

Walcott – he’s done. RB and CB are top priorities especially with Branthwiate now out too but we have no back up options on the RW if Rodriguez is out. I’m not a fan of Bolasie but why wasn’t he playing tonight, I don’t think he’s good enough but you can’t tell me he’s any worse than Theo.

In an ideal world we’d get another RB, CB and RW and that would be an amazing window. Striker too if Kean goes.

Great assessment mate. I would also add Bernard as a player we should move on. These flashes of brilliance are few and far between. No consistency, compare him to smaller players like Sterling, Silva etc no where near that level

The positives

Gordon is the perfect cover for Richarlison on the left. He’s an incredible young talent and he’ll learn a lot this season from the likes of Richie and Rodriguez and the fact he’s not going to be first choice this year will ease expectations on the lad which is a good thing. The last few times we’ve had a promising talent they’ve buckled under the weight of expectation so hopefully Gordon can progress at his own pace without calls for him to start every game and just keep improving.

Nkoukou showed he;s ready now to be Dignes cover. I love that he’s completely different to Digne and Baines too. My man of the match.

Firmly in the middle is Gylfi, now I got some stick for not praising him enough on twitter but I think what I said was fair. When he has time and the ball at his feet he can be brilliant. The problem is when he’ doesn’t have the ball, certainly in defensive situations he just disappears and better teams, prem teams won’t give him that time. He looked decent against league 2 opposition which is the minimum you’d expect from him. On a side note fair play for giving the penalty to Kean.

The negatives

Davies poor again. He lost the ball within the first 30 seconds and I lost count of the number of times he would go forward with the ball and then turn and pass it back to Keane. Chalk and cheese with the likes of Allan and Doucoure at the weekend who were progressive and driving forward. Again this is league 2 opposition and he should have been bossing that midfield.

Kenny…. Bang average. Totally shown up by Nkoukou on the left, if you asked me which one had prem experience and had spent a season playing first team in Germany it wouldn’t have been him. Getting a better RB has to be a priority now.

Kean – I just don’t get him. I don’t get what he does. He can’t hold up the ball, he doesn’t run, when it was handed to him on a plate he fluffed it. I get his confidence is down but again League 2 opposition. He should have run those CB’s ragged. You’re playing for the right to line up with the likes of Rodriguez but he looks so disinterested! If an offer came in or we could trade him to fill a position we need I’d get rid.

Walcott – he’s done. RB and CB are top priorities especially with Branthwiate now out too but we have no back up options on the RW if Rodriguez is out. I’m not a fan of Bolasie but why wasn’t he playing tonight, I don’t think he’s good enough but you can’t tell me he’s any worse than Theo.

In an ideal world we’d get another RB, CB and RW and that would be an amazing window. Striker too if Kean goes.

I agree with most of this.good assessment! I was wondering too, that although it was average, and a bit like a dull 19/20 performance, at least we won 3-0. Last year we would not have got those 3 goals, we would have scraped 1-0. Kean may be playing out of position, or somehow we have not unlocked his potential that he showed in Italy, but it's worth giving him more time I think.
I think Kenny is ok also, but not a priority, Siggy, Davies or Delph - if they are the back up, then clearly they all have to be replaced. becuase Siggy will never get time in the PL or later rounds of the cups. He should have bossed this game, and done a perfomrance like 'I'm the captain. I'm still here' but he didn't really do that.
Same with Davies - a chacne to show Allan and Doucoure on the bench that he can play too. One concern I have is that Allan, Doucoure and Rodriguez need both back up if they are injured but also competition for their place, otherwise in a few months they might not play to the same high standards. We need realistic options off the bench to push the first choice, and Walcott, Davies, Siggy, are not that. Bolasie would have been better than walcott, simply because he's trying hard to prove himself, which Walcott just cannot seem to do. Tosun Iwobi Besic Bolasie, plus Walcott, Siggy, Davies and Delph need to be moved on quickly! and we need 1 midfielder, 1 RW and to promote 2 U23 players into the first XI squad in their place, as they would at least be hungry and energetic for one year.

Ive only just noticed the next game is next Wednesday, really Carlo, can go again on Saturday with the Spurs side playing Albion then go again next Wednesday with last nights side playing Fleetwood, how good is that!! Injuries aside obviously, but dont change two winning sides

Ive only just noticed the next game is next Wednesday, really Carlo, can go again on Saturday with the Spurs side playing Albion then go again next Wednesday with last nights side playing Fleetwood, how good is that!! Injuries aside obviously, but dont change two winning sides
Think that is how we will go early round,and the more rounds we get through the more we will go with the like's of the team v spurs in later rounds

The positives

The negatives

Very rarely do I agree so completely with a post match assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.