Match Thread Everton v Manchester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madrid rested their whole 1st team last night. I expect pep to do something similar. Unfortunately their 2nd team is about as good as their 1st!
It’s going to be one of two approaches I think, isn’t it?

Either he starts with his best players and attempts shock-and-awe, win-it-in-the-first-half megasoccer. Then five subs at half time.

Or he hopes the B team can win it, and if not bring on the big guns in the second half.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer the first team, as they'll be desperately trying to not get injured, or the second team who will be desperate to impress.
That’s it mate isn’t it, can look at it many ways.

Anyone from the “second string” will be desperate to impress for Wednesday night.

Going to be very tough either way

Early leg-breaker courtesy of Mykolenko on Mahrez. VAR deems it a fair challenge. Calvin to do his newly-learned pirouette routine against Dias before producing a carbon copy set up for Doucouré to tap home, 1-0.

Mina and Tarkowski keep it tight at the back as Alvarez struggles to get behind them. Gueye giving a midfield masterclass on how to contain De Bruyne.

Dwight again proves he's alright by giving Walker a torrid time on the left, pumping in cross after cross. Finally Lewin gets on the end of one to give Ederson no chance to make it 2-0 after 66 minutes.

Haaland is summoned from the bench and gets a thumping from Tarkowski after 12 seconds on the field. He's subbed straight back off.

Game ends 2-0, and Kenwright appears out of nowhere in the director's box giving a double thumbs up in the direction of Sean.

Madrid rested their whole 1st team last night. I expect pep to do something similar. Unfortunately their 2nd team is about as good as their 1st!
Yeah but Madrid are second in their league 9 points behind Barca, they are not going to win their league and their domestic cup final has already been played. It’s easier for them to do that than it is for City, although I do expect significant changes

Early leg-breaker courtesy of Mykolenko on Mahrez. VAR deems it a fair challenge. Calvin to do his newly-learned pirouette routine against Dias before producing a carbon copy set up for Doucouré to tap home, 1-0.

Mina and Tarkowski keep it tight at the back as Alvarez struggles to get behind them. Gueye giving a midfield masterclass on how to contain De Bruyne.

Dwight again proves he's alright by giving Walker a torrid time on the left, pumping in cross after cross. Finally Lewin gets on the end of one to give Ederson no chance to make it 2-0 after 66 minutes.

Haaland is summoned from the bench and gets a thumping from Tarkowski after 12 seconds on the field. He's subbed straight back off.

Game ends 2-0, and Kenwright appears out of nowhere in the director's box giving a double thumbs up in the direction of Sean.
It’s Calvert-Lewin not Calvin, not Lewin but point stands

In view of the fact that City are within touching distance of the treble, which would officially make Pep's team one of the greatest, they will be highly motivated. If we get anything from this game it will be a collosal achievement and I would start to look at Dyche in a different light, he would surely have to be a team motivator in the same class as Brian Clough was to get anything today.

City are much better than us all over the park and by a long way. It really doesn't matter if they rest a few players, the replacements are very good players as well.

If they try to smash out a lead then see the game out we just need to be within 2 goals when they take off the big hitters. Twice they have tried this approach and very nearly blew it. Leicester got blown away in their game but were really unlucky not to get a point, finished by far the stronger team and missed chances, and we’ve shown much more fight than Leicester.

Need the players and the crowd to just stay alive even if/when we are behind. Last 20 mins will be carnage if they try to hold what they have and Goodison goes for it fully.

The neutrals will be turning themselves inside out today. They will hate willing Everton on, but think most would love us to do something stupid today.

UTFT 💙

Status
Not open for further replies.