Match Thread Everton v Man.United Carabao Cup - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a half way house between not pressing at all and what Leeds do.
Against UTD is was not about pressing, it was early unforced schoolboy errors dissolving confidence. Also why did we change a winning team, and why dont we realise Gomez is like a man down? He offers zero. I think Davies is a waste of space but even he offers more.

The difference when both teams were around the opposition box was frightening. United were quick, mobile, decisive, clever, unpredictable and drilled. We were slow, tentative, predictable, stupid and always seemed to make the wrong decisions. Why can we not show composure, speed and cleverness around the opposition box?
Being a hard to beat, solid team will only get you so far. Moyes couldn't raise us above being a solid, uncomplicated but mediocre team on a lowish budget. If we want to seriously contend for champions league places and ultimately premier league champions we need to recruit the same type of attacking players that united, liverpool, spurs and Chelsea have in their squads, ie; fast, CLEVER, unpredictable and decisive players who can slice open defences in the manner in which that united team did the other night against us.

Sometimes it’s not mentality, it’s quality. You can’t put slow bottom half players out against some of the top players in Europe and expect them to get the best of them. Maybe in a league game when they’re not up for it but I’m a big cup game Davies and Sigurdsson are not going to better Pogba Fernandes Van Der Beek. It’s just not going to happen. Keane is not going to shackle Cavani. You can’t replace quality, and all of our quality is, as usual, in the treatment room.

Until we improve the medical department at the club we won’t win anything ever. When City Liverpool United Chelsea turn up at the big games they have all their big players on the pitch. We had nearly all of ours missing and then another one went off.
Sometimes yes, but we could think of Leicester when they won a league. It was absolutely average team, there were at least 3-4 teams with far better players in terms of quality, and a half dozen teams with the players of the same quality. But back then Foxes had a cohesive team play, composure, and a proper spirit, I would label as a good old brother bond (sorry for the big word).

I do agree with the part about the medical department, maybe also add some shrink, yoga, meditation master, or whatever just to get themselves together and stop being so unsteady and spineless.
"We are disappointed, of course. It was an important competition for us. But, no regrets, because the team performed. We had a difficult start but after 25 minutes we were in control defensively. We were good defensively until the end and were close to the penalties. We have no regrets."
I despair.
This makes me worry, as it indicates about Carlo leans to a defensive strategy, which is not really backed by the team's current mental and physical abilities. I've said, it's ok to see boring football if they show some results, but relying on pens in 1/4 of the cup against the top side? Come on! What about a little bit of self-respect here?
There's nothing wrong with the recruitment since Carlo came in.
Give him a chance mate.
Guess we have no other options left on this one.

Whilst we're celebrating the win at Bramall Lane, there's still time for your MotM votes for the ManU game, poll closes 9.57pm UK time Sunday ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.