Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Leeds is a difficult opponent for a young fullback of 19 to play his first home PL match.

There were no easy or obvious options this week and the injury is a massive problem.
You're not wrong but, tbf, every game is a difficult game in this league, in one way or the other.

We need balance and this team doesn't have balance

You're not wrong but, tbf, every game is a difficult game in this league, in one way or the other.

We need balance and this team doesn't have balance
Two wing backs who aren’t wing backs is a big risk, it doesn’t have balance. Hopefully Leeds aren’t at the races but you’d imagine they’ll target our flanks big time.

He's at the game, so not COVID.

Carlo just doesn't trust him. Same with Gordon.

He should be on the bench, at least.

We could get ripped apart today. Could also rip them apart.
Always love this "argument". No stick to you on this but how, on earth, do you get to trust a player if you never player them? And I genuinely question Carlo's "trust" when he CONSTANTLY picks Sigurdsson who massssively underwhelms every single time he plays.

I am having a hard time with some of the stuff Carlo is doing at the moment. Don't get me wrong, it was clever of him to try the wing backs system against Fulham and even Iwobi played well. But why play two players massively out of position with Davies and Iwobi, when it could have been one with N'Kounkou?

N'Kounkou may not be as good as we all hope, but if you are going to give the lad a spin it is safer to do so as a LWB than a straight LB.

Once again, Carlo is neglecting youth for some very poor players and that bench is next to useless against arguably the fittest team in the league - where is the pace and energy?

Don't get me wrong, it may work brilliantly and I may have egg on my face, but I'm not convinced at all about the selections.

And whilst Carlo is undoubtedly the best manager we've had in an age, he is really starting to make some bizarre decisions.

As long as I can remember this happens with us. Managers begin by playing players in their natural position then gradually over time start sticking them anywhere. Eventually we end up with Anichebe on the wing, Siggurdson on the wing, DCL wing back and also what we have today. Very weird, but I assume it must happen at other clubs too??

Big ask from Davies and Iwobi today. At the best of times this formation requires the wing backs to be tactically astute. They definitely didn't let us down last week so hopefully they can provide more of the same.

Realistically I can't see either of them getting quality crosses in, and can see us dropping to a back five with no way out for long periods.

Other than Davies in rather than Nkounkou (and we don’t know what Carlo’s thinking is there) I don’t see an issue with that team selection. I think a 3-5-2 can really suit us. We were under the cosh second half at Fulham but I think it was more to do with players coming back from internationals, and it was also the first time we used the system.

Don't understand why Delph wouldn't play at left back if he didn't trust the young lad.
Delph played for England all the way to the semi final of the world cup 2 years ago.

People had the same concerns before the Newcastle game, you are allowed to scratch your head at times with Carlos decisions. The one positive is they’re gash in defence and if our front 3 click we’ll get plenty of chances

Don't understand why Delph wouldn't play at left back if he didn't trust the young lad.
Delph played for England all the way to the semi final of the world cup 2 years ago.

Doesn’t have the legs to be playing full back in the PL anymore, not in the way we play. I suppose if we are playing it cautiously and he’s asked not to get further forward it may be an option but not for me. At least Iwobi has the legs to get up and down and help Richarlison as/when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.