Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of those nights, tonight. In recent weeks we've barely created one good chance and have typically taken them. Tonight, we create a hatful and can't finish. We won't qualify for Europe, I don't think, but tonight was a symptom not a cause. We need more winners in the squad, we sat back after we scored and we needed a couple of players to make it plain that that isn't the best way to see out a match.
Don’t think it’s even ‘winners’

we just need players who can actually control the ball - that’s all we needed, someone to get their foot on the ball

it’s why taking James off when he did, with 12 plus stoppage time to go, was daft

Disappointing result but we created some gilt edged chances that we haven’t done on a consistent basis. You would expect DCL and Richarlison to score at least 1 each of the chances they squandered. By doing that we were always prone to conceding. I still think the biggest barrier to our progress apart from the mindset is midfield. It is woefully short of legs and quality. It’s so ironic that our big purchases last summer (Allan and Doucoure) have barely played together because of injury and we’ve had to endure the likes of Gomes and siguardisson playing there.

we just need players who can actually control the ball - that’s all we needed, someone to get their foot on the ball

it’s why taking James off when he did, with 12 plus stoppage time to go, was daft

James asked to come off, he was signalling to come off to the touch line.

He knows and Carlo knows he can’t compete for 90 mins in this league sadly. Any sign of his calf tightening and that’s him done.

It’s not daft if he damages his calf again and is then ruled out for a another month or two.

He was gassed, I'm pretty sure Carlo thought we could see it out. I thought bringing JPG on was weird though, this isn't denigrating the lad, he didn't do anything wrong, but we needed energy in the middle of the park and 2 years out was always going to lead to some sluggishness.

Reckon that game, likely putting Europa out of reach, will seal the departures of a few of the lads tonight. Can see Richy departing at the end of the season, and I think James will fancy going back to Spain.

James asked to come off, he was signalling to come off to the touch line.

He knows and Carlo knows he can’t compete for 90 mins in this league sadly. Any sign of his calf tightening and that’s him done.

It’s not daft if he damages his calf again and is then ruled out for a another month or two.
It’s daft that we’re so reliant on him though, isn’t it? And just how can’t one of our other players get on the ball?? What do they do in training?

We could have protected James by having him on the pitch. Just give him 5-10 more in midfield, but with Godfrey/Holgate and Davies around him. Go flat back four with Coleman dropping in to mark Zaha rather than bloody Keane doing it.

He was gassed, I'm pretty sure Carlo thought we could see it out. I thought bringing JPG on was weird though, this isn't denigrating the lad, he didn't do anything wrong, but we needed energy in the middle of the park and 2 years out was always going to lead to some sluggishness.
Well yeah, if he really really needed to go off (surely 5 more mins of him literally just being there to actually control the ball for us and relieve pressure was doable) then throw King on and at least give Palace something to worry about going the other way

Actually within that aggravating outcome there was some positives it was one of the few times in awhile where we were able to actually penetrate a stationed defense by playing the ball on the floor instead of becoming desperate and just wailing in crosses. Just the inability to be clinical and over realiance on hunkering down defensively undid us.

James signalled to come off as struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.