Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I ever believed we were in the race for top four and we need luck to qualify for the Europa league and with the injuries to JR, Allan and most of all Doucoure we have not had the luck we need

I don't think we will lose any players this summer or at least not cheaply and we all know the team is short three or four players and short on pace.

I want this season finished and then see what the summer brings.

The right additions can see us have a better season again than this one.

We are far too inconsistent but the manager will recognise that better than any of us.

I think we have the nucleus of a good team but we do need some more quality.

James signalled to come off as struggling

But we needed him on.

All that does is reflect badly on Brands and Ancelotti.

Brands, because the squad is crap and we only have one player capable of controlling possession, and Ancelotti, because he clearly hasn't worked on that in training.

We literally went 5-4-1 at home to Palace, when 1-0 up, with 16 minutes remaining (inc stoppage). And that shape involved Godfrey playing right wing-back, Keane playing right centre-back and getting totally given the run around by Zaha like he was all day (and Keane or Mina should never both play in a back three) and Gbamin who has just come back from over 18 months out.

Out home form didn’t even need to be outstanding just half decent ,but not bothered these players are following on years of nothing by doing precisely that ,having another nothing season

We properly made a mess of it this season. We didnt even have to be great this year but we are too soft and lack conviction.

This was a huge chance and they've blown it. I'm fed up making excuses for players not doing their jobs properly.

And the manager mate, come on.

I love him but he's got more wrong than right lately.

Not even just in games. Where's the plan? What's been worked on in training - because there's no real evidence of much? Why are we so reliant on one specific player to give us all of our creativity, and that player just happens to be a lad who is injury prone and can't play more than 70/80 mins.

But we needed him on.

Brands, because the squad is crap and we only have one player capable of controlling possession, and Ancelotti, because he clearly hasn't worked on that in training.

We literally went 5-4-1 at home to Palace, when 1-0 up, with 16 minutes remaining (inc stoppage). And that shape involved Godfrey playing right wing-back, Keane playing right centre-back and getting totally given the run around by Zaha like he was all day (and Keane or Mina should never both play in a back three) and Gbamin who has just come back from over 18 months out.

The sub that hurt us was Godfrey for Coleman. Godfrey had a complete stinker. I'm still trying to work out what he was doing for the equaliser. Where was he going?

And then we needed a goal but had a centre back trying to play wing back. Unsurprisingly he wasnt very good at getting forward. He had one chance to head a ball back across goal and managed to clear it for them.

Gbamin struggled with the speed of the match, but he wasnt the problematic sub.

It’s daft that we’re so reliant on him though, isn’t it? And just how can’t one of our other players get on the ball?? What do they do in training?

We could have protected James by having him on the pitch. Just give him 5-10 more in midfield, but with Godfrey/Holgate and Davies around him. Go flat back four with Coleman dropping in to mark Zaha rather than bloody Keane doing it.

I don’t know I’m not the manager. I’m not sure what his tactics were during the last 15 minutes but I imagine having to take James off with so little time off would have been a spanner in the works. Not sure why Coleman came off. Ultimately our lack of finesse upfront killed us off, that Calvert Lewin chance second half turned the table that’s when they upped their game Palace.

I don’t know I’m not the manager. I’m not sure what his tactics were during the last 15 minutes but I imagine having to take James off with so little time off would have been a spanner in the works. Not sure why Coleman came off. Ultimately our lack of finesse upfront killed us off, that Calvert Lewin chance second half turned the table that’s when they upped their game Palace.

If Ancelotti was thinking James would do the entire 90 then I'd be even more worried mate.

Yep, Coleman sub equally as baffling.

It did, I agree, we weren't clinical today. Rest of the season, mostly, we have been, and it's got us where we are. But I'm not letting Carlo off the hook.

But we needed him on.

As a manager you are in a no win situation as soon as a player signals to come off. Either you tell them to get on with it and risk injury or take them off and get blamed for the switch when it goes wrong.
The squad isn’t good enough as a whole but that will take time to fix but let’s be fair the injuries we are getting in midfield you couldn’t make up!!
JPG and James become available but then docoure and Allan are out. It’s relentless and our budget only extends so far when we are still trying to offload deadwood.
Personally no one is blameless but in my opinion brands and ancelotti need more time and a slice of luck too.
For now I’m still hoping for 7th this season but I’m concerned it’ll be 8th and it’ll be mainly down to squad depth and injuries.

Cannot help but feel much of our recent dip in form, especially at home relates to the complete imbalance in the squad. We have done nothing to recruit competent back up strikers for some years. This has not prevented the recruitment, over recent years of midfield players who are too slow and/or lacking for the premier league so I am baffled by the lack of more than 2 strikers.

It was obvious at the end of the first half that Dom and Richie were not firing but there are no viable alternatives available in the squad, as Carlo does not appear to have any confidence in KIng.

As a manager you are in a no win situation as soon as a player signals to come off. Either you tell them to get on with it and risk injury or take them off and get blamed for the switch when it goes wrong.
The squad isn’t good enough as a whole but that will take time to fix but let’s be fair the injuries we are getting in midfield you couldn’t make up!!
JPG and James become available but then docoure and Allan are out. It’s relentless and our budget only extends so far when we are still trying to offload deadwood.
Personally no one is blameless but in my opinion brands and ancelotti need more time and a slice of luck too.
For now I’m still hoping for 7th this season but I’m concerned it’ll be 8th and it’ll be mainly down to squad depth and injuries.

He's paid £9m a year mate. It's his job to make those calls and get them right.

He's got a lot wrong lately.

Just watched West Ham. The difference in ability, application, effort etc etc to Everton is sad to say chalk and cheese. Everton FC have a lot of work to do if they are going to compete for anything

If Ancelotti was thinking James would do the entire 90 then I'd be even more worried mate.

Yep, Coleman sub equally as baffling.

It did, I agree, we weren't clinical today. Rest of the season, mostly, we have been, and it's got us where we are. But I'm not letting Carlo off the hook.

Again I’m not sure what his reasoning or plans were. Perhaps Gomes going off early on in the game was also a spanner in his works? He could have planned on putting Sigurdsson on later on for James? I don’t know.

Status
Not open for further replies.