Match Thread Everton v Burnley - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not getting carried away given the opening fixtures but it's a pleasure to see the Blues winning again and for confidence to be gained. I'm liking the speed and directness of Gray and Townsend. I love that Richy plays for us but I do worry about him playing up top by himself as he gets knocked about so much and I'm not entirely sure about his temperament. DCL can play that position as he can look after himself a little more, knows the knocks go with the role and has a more even temper.

Some of the challenges from the Burnley side should have been punished; particularly that one from Tarkowski else a Blue should have chopped him in half.

Benitez is learning as he goes along and three at the back doesn't fill me with confidence so let's not do that again. The players we have available suggest 4-2-4 all day long.

Still can't believe that Tarkowski decision. Its the most obvious yellow card you'll ever see.

I love that we are allowing morr challenges now but there has to be a big differential between players who stay on their feet and those who dive in.

Upper body nudges, jostling, shoulder barges and using your strength (within reason) should not be a foul. Let the game flow. Flying in off your feet should be a foul unless you win the ball clean. If the defender stays on their feet and its a nothing incident then don't give a foul. That way, we actually see what a bad foul is.

I don’t get how that richarlison tackle in the 2nd minute wasn’t even a booking it was a scissors tackle from behind which is illegal and dangerous

Spot on, it's like going back in time where better players would be "reduced" early in the game. It was so similar to that ankle breaker on Harvey where a red card was given. Atkinson was bang wrong to let it go.

Fantastic... and my first time back at Goodson... what a ten minutes that was. Best moment of the night was our free kick on the edge of the box during the prime fume window, bloke across from me shouting “Atkinson there’s no way that’s ***** 10 ****** yards!!! They‘re 8, 9 at a push”....

Well then.

For about 55 minutes we were utter crap. Really, really bad. Then we moved up the gears and blew Burnley away. Why did we start with that formation? It didn't get the best out of anyone. Thankfully Burnley are too crap to punish us for more than one goal for how bad we were up to that point. Allan and Douc were struggling badly before Gomes came on, after that point we were completely dominant.
Douc in the latter part of the game was fantastic again, unlucky not to get a goal himself.
Townsend has to be MOTM for me for the assist and wonder goal.

Martin Atkinson - who owes us a lot after the insane red card for Rodwell for the non tackle on Suarez (who arrived almost two seconds later and died on the spot) - somehow sees real contact as not warranting a red card (even with the possible benefit of VAR). It's really not good enough!

Allan, Douc, Gray, Andros superb and some super goals.

Sadly had to miss it due to being in the office today, sounds like an exciting 6 minutes! Will be keeping an eye out for the extended highlights:celebrate:

Status
Not open for further replies.