Match Thread Everton v Brighton Hove Albion - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is then he is deep undercover Eggs.

We seem to see eye to eye on most things football but we digress here. I see Iwobi as a player with no pace who can’t take a man on and Gordon for me offers something more direct and dynamic.

If anyone can bring Iwobi to peak potential though it is Carlo.

....it’s a very good point, Matey. I think we’re comparing apples with pears, though. Totally agree about Gordon; dynamic, pacy, uncomplicated, effective. I think he’s certainly more suited to that wide position than Iwobi.

i just think there’s signs with Iwobi that he can unlock defences. He can join-in with the likes of Rodriguez more than Sigurdsson, which is a surprise. I still think he might be most effective playing central. He’s a powerful runner with or without possession rather than somebody like Gordon who goes past and exploits the space behind the full back.

i agree with you about Gordon, it’s just that I’m chuffed to be seeing a few ‘that’ll do me’ moments from Iwobi.

Best performance of the season so far for me,taking into account Allan being out,Richarlison having to go off early,Seamus injured too,having Pickford in nets
1f631.png
fringe(formerly cringe @AndyC ;)lol players) Davies,Siguurdsonn,Iwobi,Delph all look different players now,Doucoure,great game,Calvert Lewin with his goal again,what can you say about Rodriguez?MOTM for me though,big Yerry,spot on,up the Toffs!!!

....it’s a very good point, Matey. I think we’re comparing apples with pears, though. Totally agree about Gordon; dynamic, pacy, uncomplicated, effective. I think he’s certainly more suited to that wide position than Iwobi.

i just think there’s signs with Iwobi that he can unlock defences. He can join-in with the likes of Rodriguez more than Sigurdsson, which is a surprise. I still think he might be most effective playing central. He’s a powerful runner with or without possession rather than somebody like Gordon who goes past and exploits the space behind the full back.

i agree with you about Gordon, it’s just that I’m chuffed to be seeing a few ‘that’ll do me’ moments from Iwobi.
Good post this.

The central position is open (assuming James is allowed to float) and anyone of Sig/Gomes/Bernard can stake a claim. Gylfi has looked good the last couple of games and Bernard stood out against Fleetwood. If Iwobi can add to the competition on Gomes it can only be good for the squad.

I hope you are right and I’m wrong mate;)

....I’ve been on here a long, long time and like a broken record I’ve banged on about a lack of threat in the top third. I’m banging on no more, it’s what’s making the difference.

Mina, Rodriguez, Doucoure all terrific but I’m going for Iwobi. Understandably lambasted by many on here, some like @Groucho reckoned ‘there’s a player in there’.

Personally, I clung onto one magnificently clever pass Iwobi made in last season‘s Anfield Derby where he put Kean in on goal, but today there was a couple of more ‘that’ll do me” moments. I thought the little pass into Doucoure for Rodriguez’s 2nd goal was better than his cross for the first. in that moment he showed great vision and composure to wait and then ignore the overlap of Digne.

Iwobi, perhaps there’s a player in there.
Thank you for acknowledging my claim from years ago.

It may very well be the only time I’m right.

Doucoure, DCL and Mina put in a man of the match performance each for me. And I don't think the other starters were far away from that level too with one notable exception in goal. Iwobi also looked good.

Very pleasing performance.

Player Ratings:

Pickford 2- Seem not able to cover post to post from long range missiles. Neither can cope with short range head on softies, palming either into goal or giving assist.

Coleman 8- Appreciate his value more when you see how Davies is so vulnerable at his position.

Keane 7- A bit tired after 6 continuous full game otherwise accomplished.

Mina 9- Important header reminding us of his 2 headers before half time which calmed the team going into the tunnel. His timely blocks helped keep classic Everton self implosion at bay.

Digne 8- Decent game.

Doucoure 8.5- Have to be less box to box as need to cover for slower compatriots Sig n Tom. Else when free to advance crafted assist of beauty.

Siggy 7- Played his heart out tracking back in first half. 2nd half was less visible.

Davies 6- Painfully awkward in first half, clueless and shied away from receiving passes in opponent's half. Beside passing back he was again gutless. 2nd half put in a couple of tackles and was more lively when we led by 2 goals. Vulnerable at right back.

James 9.5- One assist, Two goals, pace maker, goal creator, pass stringer, … just magnificent footballer.

Richarlison 8- Can see the injury affected him but faultless in commitment, which resulted in aggravating his injury. A warrior.

DCL 8- Can't seem to shake off scoring. Hope he keeps up with the addiction.

Delph 7.5- Revived player after his sent off and the long break. Seem to be more humble and wants to improve. Decent today.

Walcott 5- Under performed perhaps to less game time.

Carlos 9- Equalled Four wins feat since 1895. Not easy accomplishment if you are managing the Blues.

COYB, UTT. Derby's next.

Status
Not open for further replies.