Match Thread Everton v Arsenal - Barely a preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1st game at Goodison in 20 years and 1st one for my 13yr old lad. Fully expect to be 0-3 at half time and back in the car on 70 minutes...

I'd personally like to say to you "you big massive arlarse" for bringing your lad to an Everton game at an age when you could easily force him to support anyone but us.

But I can't say that to you, I've done the same myself (though my son was 7 but maybe distance means this game is your first as its harder to get to) so I have no room to talk.

Genuinely mate, win lose or draw I hope they put in a performance where you walk away from the ground and your son says "when is the next time we get to go dad".

Though even more genuinely than my last genuine paragraph, I hope we bloody win for everyone's sake lol

I'd personally like to say to you "you big massive arlarse" for bringing your lad to an Everton game at an age when you could easily force him to support anyone but us.

But I can't say that to you, I've done the same myself (though my son was 7 but maybe distance means this game is your first as its harder to get to) so I have no room to talk.

Genuinely mate, win lose or draw I hope they put in a performance where you walk away from the ground and your son says "when is the next time we get to go dad".

Though even more genuinely than my last genuine paragraph, I hope we bloody win for everyone's sake lol
He supports Middlesbrough, being from the North East, but he really wants to go to Goodison before it's knocked down. I did try to talk him out of it 😂

Hopefully we can then get down to the new stadium and we've still got some semblance of a team to watch...

He supports Middlesbrough, being from the North East, but he really wants to go to Goodison before it's knocked down. I did try to talk him out of it 😂

Hopefully we can then get down to the new stadium and we've still got some semblance of a team to watch...

Bloody hell, Boro or Everton lol lol lol

Fair play to him. If we beat Arsenal though and the atmosphere is a tenth of what it can be like, come full time he won't he worrying about Boro anymore ;)

I'm in Spain so my little one is real Madrid and Everton. Desperate to go to goodison the poor soul

After all the talk of it not being likely, 777 seem to have talked Moshiri over. Has Moshiri takeover news vibes all over it. Not sure how I feel to be honest. All the signs are there that they're not seemingly good owners. I guess they still need the PL to run those "fit and proper" tests whatever that means. Anxious times for this Toffee 😔

I'll have Myko back in to deal with Saka. Tell Gana and Onana just to sit with Ama playing that 6 role at times like he does for Belgium. Wasn't sure whether to replace Patterson with Garner at RB so just left it. Bench should look stronger with DCL, Chermiti and maybe Harrison back in. UTFT as always

1694769915988.png

The eye test would argue with AI - this from the bookies site.:

A win, but a struggle for Arsenal​

EVERTON have had ARSENAL's number at Goodison Park in recent years, the Toffees having won four of an unbeaten last five when hosting the Gunners, including Sean Dyche's first game in charge last season.
For whatever reason, Mikel Arteta's side just don't like playing on Merseyside full stop. Across their last 10 trips to Liverpool to face either the Red or Blue half, the Gunners have lost eight times and drawn twice.
Mikel Arteta's side can buck the Merseyside trend on Sunday

Mikel Arteta's side can buck the Merseyside trend on Sunday
They have more quality and more of a backbone now than they have in the last five years, though, so I think this could be the turning point of their misfortunes. So far this season their defence has been bettered only by Manchester City - according to xG - shipping just 0.96 xGA per game, while their attack continues to perform at a high level (2.05 xGF per game).
Everton's issues have been putting the ball in the net, with the chances being created (1.98 xGF per game), though it is worth noting that they have had a kind schedule, facing Fulham and Wolves at home - two teams who will finish in the bottom half - and Sheffield United away.
In their sole game against a team who finished in the top seven last season, they were dismantled by Aston Villa.
Everton shotmap | Premier League 2023/24

Their approach here will be a very Dychian one - sit deep in an attempt to contain and counter - which could frustrate the Gunners, but they have found the secret sauce when travelling.
Arteta's side finished last term with the most away points in the league, and won 12 of 17 away games against teams who finished fourth and below, while starting this season's travels with a win at Crystal Palace.
Score prediction: Everton 0-1 Arsenal (Sky Bet odds: 7/1)

Status
Not open for further replies.