Everton tried to bring back Jack Rodwell on deadline day

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Martinez being a trained physio.. and rodwell having been sent to the best physios in football, both by everton and Manchester city (richest club in the world...) i doubt this is true. Rodwell isn't going to become suddenly non-injury prone.

His hammys aren't built for sport anymore.

Also i have noticed some people on here are quite nostalgic and remember players as if they were better than what they were (Vic being an example) Rodwell was ok, he showed promise but that's about it, he was never great or vital. The season before he left was his best, but he was only ever a player who showed 'promise'.

Also i have noticed some people on here are quite nostalgic and remember players as if they were better than what they were (Vic being an example) Rodwell was ok, he showed promise but that's about it, he was never great or vital. The season before he left was his best, but he was only ever a player who showed 'promise'.

I agree but I think Martinez would have got a lot more out of him than moyes did.

I'd love Rodwell to come good, but I fear his fitness will never be good enough. A loan move for him has all the hallmarks of a Jeffers mkII.

With him and Gibson around the physio would certainly be busy.

Injury free he'd fit into martinez's team well IMO. I just can't see him ever being injury free.

Martinez likes players who show for the ball. Rodwell often used to hide. Injury issues aside he has all the physical attributes to be a top player. Mentally he falls down though

Got Martinez written all over him that kid.

Calm in possession, keeps it simple, keeps it moving and a good engine.

Id have him back in a shot, I think he would thrive under martinez.

Lots of kids struggle with growing through injuries and the demands of the prem, Gerrard struggled early in his development.

But imagine getting him to 23/24 and having a central midfield 3 for the long term of McCarthy, Rodwell and Barkley.

We can talk about what he can and cannot do on a football pitch all we want, the sad reality is the kid is crocked and is very likely to be crocked his entire career.

It would be a bonkers signing for us. OK, a season long loan perhaps and if he played 30 games then maybe we could consider it, but an outright signing in the summer would just be daft.

If only we could be confident that him and Gibson could give us 25 games each per season then it could be ok. Unfortunately I'm not sure either can stay fit which would leave us short (unless Ross is going to be converted into a more orthodox central midfielder).

Was made up when we got that kind of money for him. Hasn't got the mentality to be good enough and is constantly injured now anyway.

Full article from The Times

Jack Rodwell’s future at Manchester City has been thrown into doubt after it emerged that Manuel Pellegrini was ready to allow the England midfielder to return to Everton on loan, only for the proposed deal to be scrapped after City failed in their attempt to sign Fernando from Porto.
A complex double deal in which Gareth Barry would have joined Everton permanently, with Rodwell going back to his former club on loan until the end of the season, was set up on transfer deadline day, with City planning to bolster their midfield with Fernando.
Roberto Martínez, an admirer of Rodwell, wanted to take advantage of the 22-year-old’s lack of regular first-team football at City and lined him up for a return to Everton 18 months after he moved to City in a £13 million deal.
Premier League rules prevent a club loaning two players from the same side and, to free up space for Rodwell, Everton were ready to pay £1 million to turn Barry’s temporary switch from City into a permanent deal.
Negotiations took place between the clubs and, at one stage, Everton were hopeful that they would come to fruition, but the proposed deal was called off when City were forced to curtail their interest in Fernando and Eliaquim Mangala, his Porto team-mate, because of a prohibitive £40 million asking price for the pair. While Barry’s future at Everton now seems assured, with his transfer set to go ahead at the end of the season when his City contract expires and he becomes a free agent, Rodwell finds himself in limbo, the likelihood being that he will be made available for a permanent move in the summer.
Since moving to City, Rodwell’s progress has been stalled by a succession of hamstring injuries and he is viewed as a squad player by Pellegrini.
Martínez had wanted Rodwell to bolster his midfield options in the short term, given Darron Gibson’s long-term absence with knee ligament damage that increases the load on Barry and James McCarthy.
Having missed out on Rodwell, the Everton manager decided to keep his powder dry in the transfer market, preferring to keep the remaining funds available to him until the summer after signing Aiden McGeady for £500,000, Jindrich Stanek, the Czech goalkeeper, for a fee that could eventually rise to £1 million and Lacina Traoré on loan.
“The summer window is different to the January window,” Martínez said. “The January window is a gamble. That means you can go for players no one expects to be available or, if your season has not been good enough, you change things around. We have done incredible to bring Aiden McGeady and Lacina Traoré to us. We don’t need to gamble.”

Is rodwell better than Barry, McCarthy or Gibson ??

I'd say probably not, so you wouldn't need 30 games a season out of him currently. However you'd want him to be ready to step in if needs be. Would he be available when we need him? Most likely not...

As said I think it was probably a good loan deal for the remainder of this season. Anything after that unfortunately his injuries are probably too much of a problem.

Note: City played Chelsea last night with a bog standard CB playing CM due to fernandiniho being injured. Where was rodwell??

Status
Not open for further replies.