Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed on both City and Chelsea mate, it took them about three seasons via a few non successful transfer targets to really get sustained success, i think things were that little bit easier given the CL spots were that bit more fluid. FFP was less applicable to.

I think initially its a race to raise the quality of the base line squad, a number of mistakes are always made in that as it a lot of spots to improve. Maybe about 50% are long term keepers, then you are chipping away on loosing three, bringing in three, thats the enviable position we need to get to. The investment wains over time due to need, but also refined and focused recruitment and hoovering up the best underage talent, an area Chelsea and CIty have excelled, their issue is finding the balance between buying and giving youth its fling.

Personally i wouldn't be a confirmed Brands accolite, im open minded and far from dismissive on his value, but i look at recruitment year 1 as very good, less so last year. I happen to believe Silva had the telling impacts on Gomes and Richarlisons recruitments, ive no way of proving it just an opinion is all. Id balance the Brands criticism of walking into a poor a squad, with a lot of work to be done, which is tricky, i do feel he could have moved more of the dead wood to enable progress. What has also been difficult for him is the academy ban, thankfully that ends this year and we will finally see how well his structures work with recruiting underage. Like i say im open minded and would allow some lee way as a work in progress. But i do feel people over rate his impact here.

When you look at Newcastle, if the investment as the rumors seem to suggest will be a big investment, you can see them making statement signings, 50% will fit, 50% wont and they are two/three years of maybe really getting to spot were they can attack the EL/CL spots, presuming things go as well as they can. FFP of course will be an issue they will hit as well. I dont see them really troubling anyone for a couple of years, it will take a while to turn it around there. You could stick Mbappe into that squad and he wouldnt make much of a difference at the moment or in the short term, its a big job of work improving that squad and you will see the manager merry go around as well. To much change in the short term is never a good recipe in my opion in football. Fans wont mind in the short terms they will be sated by the prospect of hope and progress, they've been devoid of it for so long up there, even making one big signing to play alongside Dwight Gayle, would make their season. It will be a while before they are attacking the European places in my opinion.

It will be interesting to see how the pack respond though, Wolves, Leicester and ourselves are in that little chasing group behind the CL spots, will this new money raise the bar for us to compete with an additional increased investment. Be interesting.

It's taken us longer to get there, and part of that is we were behind both City and (particularly) Chelsea when Moshiri arrived. There were certainly missed opportunities and really quite a lot of scattergun recruitment and poor management. It is worth saying as well, in relative terms (to the rest of the league) our spend was much lower. I mean Chelsea were towards 40% of the spend in the entire league and ended up settling at around 25%. City spent around 35-30% for the first 3 seasons. Our investment levels tended to be 10-15%. Substantial certainly, but not really eye catching sums. We also had to move on key players too, so it wasn't as much spent "net"- we lost Stones, Lukaku and Barkley which were big losses to the squad. Coleman, Jagielka, Baines, Barry, McCarthy, Mirallas etc were also on the decline and have lost performance. So I mean it's not been easy.

City started to add real quality at a good age. You think of Silva, Kompany, Aguero. The side ended up being built around them and all provided great service. I do think thats really our next challenge. To some degree we are similar to where they were when they signed them. If we played a full season under Ancelotti with this squad I think we finish probably between 5th-7th. Silva inability as a manager masked what is actually quite a balanced squad.

As for Brands, no I'm not absolute disciple of Brands either. However I think he's done a good job. I like that he walks away from deals, negotiates hard and tehre is a structure to recruitment. There isn't an awful lot of panic, and he is happy to wait later into windows. The first summer (on a recent poll I did on twitter) he got 6 out of 6 for signings as a pass, whereas last summer was just 2 out of 6 (albeit 4 of them were very close). 6 out of 6 is fantastic, whereas 2 our of 6 is a bit below par (I tend to view 50% as a decent hit rate, normally I'd say good but he's spending good money so you'd probably downgrade 50% to like a solid recruitment set).

Kean, Iwobi and Gbamin are still in the balance for me. The hope will be that with more time (perhaps like Mina) they come good in the 2nd season.

I think the league as you say probably becomes a lot closer next season. I think the traditional top 6 keep falling back and lose a lot of revenues but there are a lot of challengers from below. I think LIverpool are a team getting a bit older, and like City before them will probably come to the pack a bit, and unless there is big investment for City they too are in decline (albeit from a high base). If we sign 6 again in the summer, we could really do with a hit rate of 4 out of 6. If we could resolve 4 positions we are in quite a good position.

For Newcastle though, they are starting from a low base and expectations will need to be managed.

Mate, he has done nothing in the game, Utd won't pay £80m for him, when they paid £75m for Maguire he had played in Europe and for the national team, Villa will be lucky to get more than £50m for Grealish, tbh i don't think anyone will actually buy him.

He'll be another Zaha - terrific player but priced out of a move to a top club who for the sort of money could sign proven CL quality.

His had a good season and a minimum 6 out of 10 a game :) Saint Etienne great club too,
Saint Etienne won't sell until after Cup Final v PSG if played

...excellent goal scoring record, good age, good size and a good athlete. He looks the part, but I think he plays the same position as Richarlison which provides some doubt as to our interest.

Transfer window never shuts.

Registration window for new players is NORMALLY 1st June, God knows this year tho.

...the transfer window does open and shut, otherwise there wouldn’t be a transfer window. 10th June in England, 1st July for France and most other leagues.

Players out of contract can be registered at any time but any other agreements will only be registered within the transfer window.

Last edited:
...the transfer window does open and shut, otherwise there wouldn’t be a transfer window. 10th June in England, 1st July for France and most other leagues.

Players out of contract can be registered at any time.

Clubs can sign players at any time mate.

Its called a transfer window cos thats what Sky and the media like to call it.

Its a registration window.

Heres an example.

"Transfer window" closed on 31st Jan.

On 14 February 2020, it was announced that Ajax and Chelsea had reached an agreement for the transfer of Ziyech for a fee of €40 million (potentially increasing to a maximum of €44 million, with variable factors). The player will join the Premier League club from the 2020–21 season.[68] Ten days later, Chelsea announced they had agreed personal terms with Ziyech and that he had signed a five-year contract.

Heres an example.

On 14 February 2020, it was announced that Ajax and Chelsea had reached an agreement for the transfer of Ziyech for a fee of €40 million (potentially increasing to a maximum of €44 million, with variable factors). The player will join the Premier League club from the 2020–21 season.[68] Ten days later, Chelsea announced they had agreed personal terms with Ziyech and that he had signed a five-year contract.

Such a good signing him, had the pleasure to see him live!

Heres an example.

....yep, deals can be made but transfers only confirmed in the transfer window. You will have the odd agreement in place but the transfer window opens and closes for the official transfer of the player.

its terminology, but you are correct.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.