Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think those more "in the know" of football treat it like an open secret but the wider football conscious seems almost blissfully unaware. In many ways it's probably helped us, I think if there was more scrutiny it would be harder to have spent what we have thus far.

If you look at say Newcastle if (by some long shot it seems now) they have owners who want to spend loads, the noise theyve made makes me think it will be made difficult at every stage of the journey for them.

I wonder will they make the same mistakes we did - new money always seems to.

I wonder will they make the same mistakes we did - new money always seems to.

Yes I mean probably. There's an argument to me that Chelsea should have won a lot more given the investment they made. It was only in year 2 when they got Mourinho it made a difference. In truth I don't think they should have ever sacked Mourinho, had they have kept him until now, I think he'd have built a massive dynasty at Chelsea.

Again City similar to Mancini, and in truth they had to wait until Pep until they really unleashed the full potential.

For us we have certainly seen the impact Brands has had. In the truest sense I think we actually underachieved the first half of this season. Before Brands I'm not sure we underachieved per se, we bought a lot of over priced rubbish and finished about where we should have done. The run under Ancelotti, over a 14 game period is probably as good as anyone has had since Moshiri came.

Thats the hope. We've had a glimpse under Ancelotti. The hope is that we now have the structure, a man who is now well settled into the job and now the manager. Its taken 4 years to get that point. In many ways thats been as important as spending the money. If we would have had Brands and Ancelotti in 2016, and kept spending Kenwright levels of money, I think we'd be further ahead now than we are.

For Newcastle, appointing Ian Ayre would be a very bad sign. This is a fella who was out of his depth at Liverpool when they were a mid table side. He then managed to relegate one of the biggest teams in Germany to the third tier, with enormous backing from the middle east.

Yes I mean probably. There's an argument to me that Chelsea should have won a lot more given the investment they made. It was only in year 2 when they got Mourinho it made a difference. In truth I don't think they should have ever sacked Mourinho, had they have kept him until now, I think he'd have built a massive dynasty at Chelsea.

Again City similar to Mancini, and in truth they had to wait until Pep until they really unleashed the full potential.

For us we have certainly seen the impact Brands has had. In the truest sense I think we actually underachieved the first half of this season. Before Brands I'm not sure we underachieved per se, we bought a lot of over priced rubbish and finished about where we should have done. The run under Ancelotti, over a 14 game period is probably as good as anyone has had since Moshiri came.

Thats the hope. We've had a glimpse under Ancelotti. The hope is that we now have the structure, a man who is now well settled into the job and now the manager. Its taken 4 years to get that point. In many ways thats been as important as spending the money. If we would have had Brands and Ancelotti in 2016, and kept spending Kenwright levels of money, I think we'd be further ahead now than we are.

For Newcastle, appointing Ian Ayre would be a very bad sign. This is a fella who was out of his depth at Liverpool when they were a mid table side. He then managed to relegate one of the biggest teams in Germany to the third tier, with enormous backing from the middle east.
The most important thing I feel is getting the manager right . If we had appointed the likes of Ancelotti when we got the money to spend we would have been in a way better position.
Spending big money on players while have third rate managers in charge does not make sense . The top managers will improve most of the players they have anyway and then add In quality on top of that.

Hes basically 29 now. Would he fit Brands model, would Ancelotti believe he would be crucial for us until hes 33 /34 and will FFP be relaxed.

All interesting questions.

I think hes one of the best in the world, it may be worth having him come in to help any younger players around him by building a defensive platform.

Or for the money do you keep building the squad and go for Gabriel / Emerson (CB/RB) who would come in cheaper on fee and wages combined + may develop to his level?

Everyones bodies respond differently to a drop in training. We dont also know his personal circumstances.

In UK youve been able to go out for physical exercise, in many other places you cant do this (like where i live) and he may also be in a situation where he wants to stay inside so he doesnt get the virus.

Our backers could generate enormous revenue at tbis time. If FFP was relaxed we would benefit the most in the league i think as we have so much to clear out + perfect time to rebuild with Ancelotti.

Definitely.

In truth the answer would likely be no. The question I suppose would be, how far can we press Napoli down on price. And 2) to what extent do we see Ancelotti having an influence on transfer targets.

A player with Koulibaly's ability, mental attributes, leadership, reading of the game etc (as well as his power) will be able to be a perfectly competent centre half well into his mid 30 and perhaps beyond. If you view him as you might say an upgraded Distin they may well take the view it's worth spending the money and writing it off so to speak. I would go to £40m late in the window and depending on how far finances bite, you may get a deal at that point. You would also, theoretically help develop, Holgate, Mina, Gibson (and maybe one of Todibo/Gabriel/Kumbula etc) if he comes in. Not just off the pitch, but also on it in making the look better players. Much like LIverpool's Cb's next to Van Dijk, almost overnight went from being shaky to world beaters.

Yes I agree re Kenny and body type. I am not reading an enormous amount into these games. I've seen enough of Kenny to know strengths and weaknesses. I am not his biggest fan, but I am quite comfortable with him being a starting right back next season, if it allows us to focus in other areas.

I would tend to agree. Certainly City would benefit too, possibly Wolves (although some rumours their Chinese owners have been understandably hit by this virus more than most). It would essentially move away any problems we have re profitability for a bit. I think best case for us would be it's suspended for a couple of years, slate is wiped clean, and we can buy heavily and then be quite well set once it's back.

The most important thing I feel is getting the manager right . If we had appointed the likes of Ancelotti when we got the money to spend we would have been in a way better position.
Spending big money on players while have third rate managers in charge does not make sense . The top managers will improve most of the players they have anyway and then add In quality on top of that.

I agree with you on that. You're getting Lewis Hamilton to drive a mini otherwise. I also think it's hard to get that top manager initially. I've seen Pochetinno linked, and in truth I'm underwhelmed with him. If you are going to try and blitz things by spending big money, and have a manager who essentially builds patiently but doesn't really win anything they seem counter posed to me. Essentially Poch's big achievement was over performing with little/no money to spend. Similar to Moyes (at a higher level) and once he was given more resources it didn't really translate. I mean it doesn't automatically mean it couldn't for Poch, but there are question marks.

I couldn't see them selling to us, but yes he would be a good buy. Next to Holgate would be very good. They will not be paying Koulibaly mega money though, and that was before the Covid crisis.
I think players like Holgate and Gomez are the future way of CB. Mobile, can play the ball from the back, intelligent. I was shouting that we should be going for him when he was still at Charlton at the time.

I agree with you on that. You're getting Lewis Hamilton to drive a mini otherwise. I also think it's hard to get that top manager initially. I've seen Pochetinno linked, and in truth I'm underwhelmed with him. If you are going to try and blitz things by spending big money, and have a manager who essentially builds patiently but doesn't really win anything they seem counter posed to me. Essentially Poch's big achievement was over performing with little/no money to spend. Similar to Moyes (at a higher level) and once he was given more resources it didn't really translate. I mean it doesn't automatically mean it couldn't for Poch, but there are question marks.
True. But poch got spurs into the champions league for a few seasons and to a champions league final. We appointed Marco Silva....
Edit. Koeman originally which was less of a gamble but still not top class.
But not to learn from that mistake was most disappointing

Last edited:

The problem is and it’s what we found, no matter how much money you have it’s difficult to attract the top players, especially in Newcastle’s case if you’ve been a bottom half team for 10yrs and been Relegated.

And why Chelsea and to a lesser extent city found it easier, was because they hardly had any competition, if Chelsea went in with 30mil for your best player, they were getting him 90% of the time, they nearly bought Gerrard.

Different ball game with FFP and a lot of teams in the prem have money. So they can hold on to their best players or put ridiculous values on them. Like villa still wanting 80mil for grealish

Agreed on both City and Chelsea mate, it took them about three seasons via a few non successful transfer targets to really get sustained success, i think things were that little bit easier given the CL spots were that bit more fluid. FFP was less applicable to.

I think initially its a race to raise the quality of the base line squad, a number of mistakes are always made in that as it a lot of spots to improve. Maybe about 50% are long term keepers, then you are chipping away on loosing three, bringing in three, thats the enviable position we need to get to. The investment wains over time due to need, but also refined and focused recruitment and hoovering up the best underage talent, an area Chelsea and CIty have excelled, their issue is finding the balance between buying and giving youth its fling.

Personally i wouldn't be a confirmed Brands accolite, im open minded and far from dismissive on his value, but i look at recruitment year 1 as very good, less so last year. I happen to believe Silva had the telling impacts on Gomes and Richarlisons recruitments, ive no way of proving it just an opinion is all. Id balance the Brands criticism of walking into a poor a squad, with a lot of work to be done, which is tricky, i do feel he could have moved more of the dead wood to enable progress. What has also been difficult for him is the academy ban, thankfully that ends this year and we will finally see how well his structures work with recruiting underage. Like i say im open minded and would allow some lee way as a work in progress. But i do feel people over rate his impact here.

When you look at Newcastle, if the investment as the rumors seem to suggest will be a big investment, you can see them making statement signings, 50% will fit, 50% wont and they are two/three years of maybe really getting to spot were they can attack the EL/CL spots, presuming things go as well as they can. FFP of course will be an issue they will hit as well. I dont see them really troubling anyone for a couple of years, it will take a while to turn it around there. You could stick Mbappe into that squad and he wouldnt make much of a difference at the moment or in the short term, its a big job of work improving that squad and you will see the manager merry go around as well. To much change in the short term is never a good recipe in my opion in football. Fans wont mind in the short terms they will be sated by the prospect of hope and progress, they've been devoid of it for so long up there, even making one big signing to play alongside Dwight Gayle, would make their season. It will be a while before they are attacking the European places in my opinion.

It will be interesting to see how the pack respond though, Wolves, Leicester and ourselves are in that little chasing group behind the CL spots, will this new money raise the bar for us to compete with an additional increased investment. Be interesting.

Last edited:
In truth the answer would likely be no. The question I suppose would be, how far can we press Napoli down on price. And 2) to what extent do we see Ancelotti having an influence on transfer targets.

A player with Koulibaly's ability, mental attributes, leadership, reading of the game etc (as well as his power) will be able to be a perfectly competent centre half well into his mid 30 and perhaps beyond. If you view him as you might say an upgraded Distin they may well take the view it's worth spending the money and writing it off so to speak. I would go to £40m late in the window and depending on how far finances bite, you may get a deal at that point. You would also, theoretically help develop, Holgate, Mina, Gibson (and maybe one of Todibo/Gabriel/Kumbula etc) if he comes in. Not just off the pitch, but also on it in making the look better players. Much like LIverpool's Cb's next to Van Dijk, almost overnight went from being shaky to world beaters.

Yes I agree re Kenny and body type. I am not reading an enormous amount into these games. I've seen enough of Kenny to know strengths and weaknesses. I am not his biggest fan, but I am quite comfortable with him being a starting right back next season, if it allows us to focus in other areas.

I would tend to agree. Certainly City would benefit too, possibly Wolves (although some rumours their Chinese owners have been understandably hit by this virus more than most). It would essentially move away any problems we have re profitability for a bit. I think best case for us would be it's suspended for a couple of years, slate is wiped clean, and we can buy heavily and then be quite well set once it's back.
He's never played in the league mate (Koulibaly). At 29 and for the fee involved, the risk is too great in my opinion. Plus even if he is as brilliant as his reputation suggests, he's at best 2 years too early for us given the holes in the rest of the squad.

Richarlison-esque signings are our best bet at the moment.

He's never played in the league mate (Koulibaly). At 29 and for the fee involved, the risk is too great in my opinion. Plus even if he is as brilliant as his reputation suggests, he's at best 2 years too early for us given the holes in the rest of the squad.

Richarlison-esque signings are our best bet at the moment.

Yes all fair points. I think it only happens if Napoli essentially panic, without a buyer and have to radically drop price (which is feasibly possible).

I agree re Richarlinson, but if a world class player becomes available we should look to take them. I'm always reminded of Kanchelskis, who just came in and hit the ground running. Probably Lineker too. I'm not sure anybody worried about their age.

Of course they can, he is there player but nobody is going to give them £80m for Grealish, that is just utter madness.

Nobody is paying that. They would do well to get half of that in the coming market. As long as they don't get relegated though, my suspicion is they sit on the asset. He has 3 years on a deal.

Nobody is paying that. They would do well to get half of that in the coming market. As long as they don't get relegated though, my suspicion is they sit on the asset. He has 3 years on a deal.
He has 3 years, he's captain of his boyhood club and he loves it there. He probably won't kick up a fuss about staying. Unlike some other absolute bell that got his tattoos removed of HIS boyhood club that bought his family a house after he suffered a big leg break before he was anything..

Status
Not open for further replies.