Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that interests me the most about this tweet is not just the koulibaly link, it's the 'Anchelottis Everton, who wants to build a great team' comment, like it's common knowledge in certain circles what Everton are up to

These sort of things can be very telling, as they almost give more away by accident than is meant to. I mean strangely he's not actually linking Everton to Koulibaly, but rather saying Everton will spend lots of money on big players so of course Koulibaly is on the agenda. I remember Pulis saying something similar when Moshiri came in, a throwaway comment like "we know Everton will spend big" almost as if it was common knowledge.

To me these sort of comments are worth 100 wild headlines about who Newcastle may or may not buy. It's an implied statement and almost as if he doesn't want to give it away.

As re Koulibaly, sure? Napoli are obviously keen to sell and re-build. I wonder if they may need too in order to satisfy financial questions. I've seen Liverpool linked but can't see them having the cash to fork out, or wanting to stunt Gomez's place and have a 5th, very expensive centre back at the club. United for me are big favourites, City would be sensible to buy him (if they are smart they buy him, and next to Laporte probably win the league again) but if they drop out, why not us?

Weren't all the other players in an identical situation?

Well to a point yes. So you are left with a discussion of who can recover most quickly, not necessarily who is the best. If we are only going to play football after 2 month breaks, with virtually no meaningful training in empty stadiums, then yes he's blown his lines. However beyond that, I wont be reading too much into it.

These sort of things can be very telling, as they almost give more away by accident than is meant to. I mean strangely he's not actually linking Everton to Koulibaly, but rather saying Everton will spend lots of money on big players so of course Koulibaly is on the agenda. I remember Pulis saying something similar when Moshiri came in, a throwaway comment like "we know Everton will spend big" almost as if it was common knowledge.

To me these sort of comments are worth 100 wild headlines about who Newcastle may or may not buy. It's an implied statement and almost as if he doesn't want to give it away.

As re Koulibaly, sure? Napoli are obviously keen to sell and re-build. I wonder if they may need too in order to satisfy financial questions. I've seen Liverpool linked but can't see them having the cash to fork out, or wanting to stunt Gomez's place and have a 5th, very expensive centre back at the club. United for me are big favourites, City would be sensible to buy him (if they are smart they buy him, and next to Laporte probably win the league again) but if they drop out, why not us?
I listened to couple of podcasts, a few months ago, not Everton related.

One was a football podcast, they mentioned about us having a lot of money to spend, but FFP was an issue.

Abd the other had a financial expert on. Abd he said the same, but also name checked Usmanov.

One was a football podcast, they mentioned about us having a lot of money to spend, but FFP was an issue.

Abd the other had a financial expert on. Abd he said the same, but also name checked Usmanov.

I think those more "in the know" of football treat it like an open secret but the wider football conscious seems almost blissfully unaware. In many ways it's probably helped us, I think if there was more scrutiny it would be harder to have spent what we have thus far.

If you look at say Newcastle if (by some long shot it seems now) they have owners who want to spend loads, the noise theyve made makes me think it will be made difficult at every stage of the journey for them.

As i mentioned a few times relative to spending:

These numbers will be increased further during the pandemic due to their investment portfolio being tech centric.

We should be in a much stronger position through our backer(s)...

Hes basically 29 now. Would he fit Brands model, would Ancelotti believe he would be crucial for us until hes 33 /34 and will FFP be relaxed.

All interesting questions.

I think hes one of the best in the world, it may be worth having him come in to help any younger players around him by building a defensive platform.

Or for the money do you keep building the squad and go for Gabriel / Emerson (CB/RB) who would come in cheaper on fee and wages combined + may develop to his level?

Well he's just had 2 months off, without any proper training, and is playing in a circus.
Weren't all the other players in an identical situation?

Well to a point yes. So you are left with a discussion of who can recover most quickly, not necessarily who is the best. If we are only going to play football after 2 month breaks, with virtually no meaningful training in empty stadiums, then yes he's blown his lines. However beyond that, I wont be reading too much into it.
Or.....you could look at it in another way .....which player is the most professional and motivated to produce their best form

Everyones bodies respond differently to a drop in training. We dont also know his personal circumstances.

In UK youve been able to go out for physical exercise, in many other places you cant do this (like where i live) and he may also be in a situation where he wants to stay inside so he doesnt get the virus.

I think those more "in the know" of football treat it like an open secret but the wider football conscious seems almost blissfully unaware. In many ways it's probably helped us, I think if there was more scrutiny it would be harder to have spent what we have thus far.

If you look at say Newcastle if (by some long shot it seems now) they have owners who want to spend loads, the noise theyve made makes me think it will be made difficult at every stage of the journey for them.

Our backers could generate enormous revenue at tbis time. If FFP was relaxed we would benefit the most in the league i think as we have so much to clear out + perfect time to rebuild with Ancelotti.

Our central midfielders are all so cack that we absolutely must get rid of as many as we can and bring in at least two quality improvements. Another season relying on any of our current crop of absolute turd will see us get absolutely nowhere.

Definitely.

If the RS did get him, we should absolutely go in strong fro Gomez, he’s going to be a cracking player him!

Hes basically 29 now. Would he fit Brands model, would Ancelotti believe he would be crucial for us until hes 33 /34 and will FFP be relaxed.

All interesting questions.

I think hes one of the best in the world, it may be worth having him come in to help any younger players around him by building a defensive platform.

Or for the money do you keep building the squad and go for Gabriel / Emerson (CB/RB) who would come in cheaper on fee and wages combined + may develop to his level?

Everyones bodies respond differently to a drop in training. We dont also know his personal circumstances.

In UK youve been able to go out for physical exercise, in many other places you cant do this (like where i live) and he may also be in a situation where he wants to stay inside so he doesnt get the virus.

Our backers could generate enormous revenue at tbis time. If FFP was relaxed we would benefit the most in the league i think as we have so much to clear out + perfect time to rebuild with Ancelotti.

Definitely.

....I wouldn’t make excuses for Todibo’s performance yesterday, he just looked very ordinary and not particularly the type we need. Lack of fitness might be an issue, but he showed no natural pace and power and he didn’t play with any passion. He keeled over when the striker bumped into him which was a bit embarrassing.

Physically he looked too slight and uncompetitive. What it demonstrates is the need to see these players in a match situation and not go off YouTube clips (which is often what I have to rely on). You have to trust what you see and I wouldn’t invest in Todibo when there are other options.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.