Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't write off Todibo off after one ropey performance. The greatest player of all,all time laaaa, aka Virgil Van Dijk was at the centre of a southampton defence that took some absolute hidings, and lots of times from teams with nowwhere near the quality of Dortmund.

I was reading this article the other day https://www.football365.com/news/football-first-impression-opinion-pacheco-walcott and it made some good points on how the modern day fan tends to big up or write off a player after one seeing him play once.

One excerpt from above link about the way of fans these days...' players fall into one of those two categories – good or bad – and generally it’s forever, because how often does a player cross the boundary in between? Rarely. If we’re honest, most of us are not only stubborn in how we watch the game, but we also make our minds up ludicrously early and adopt oddly inflexible positions.

Regarding Todibo and Kenny, I never watched the game, but to judge a player off one game in a away from home derby, behind closed doors, with rules on non-contact off the pitch, with 5 subs permitted, after a month of no competitive Football during a global pandemic.

I'd say let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Everton Fans: https://tenor.com/NyGM.gif

I wouldn't write off Todibo off after one ropey performance. The greatest player of all,all time laaaa, aka Virgil Van Dijk was at the centre of a southampton defence that took some absolute hidings, and lots of times from teams with nowwhere near the quality of Dortmund.

I was reading this article the other day https://www.football365.com/news/football-first-impression-opinion-pacheco-walcott and it made some good points on how the modern day fan tends to big up or write off a player after one seeing him play once.

One excerpt from above link about the way of fans these days...' players fall into one of those two categories – good or bad – and generally it’s forever, because how often does a player cross the boundary in between? Rarely. If we’re honest, most of us are not only stubborn in how we watch the game, but we also make our minds up ludicrously early and adopt oddly inflexible positions.

....it’s not a matter of writing him off, it’s more a matter of caution and wanting to see more before committing to his signature.

Normally in the course of a game there’s something a player does that gets your attention, I call it a ‘that’ll do me moment’ but I didn’t get that at all from Todibo. On yesterday’s evidence, I don’t think he’s got the physicality we need.

Regarding Todibo and Kenny, I never watched the game, but to judge a player off one game in a away from home derby, behind closed doors, with rules on non-contact off the pitch, with 5 subs permitted, after a month of no competitive Football during a global pandemic.

I'd say let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Everton Fans: https://tenor.com/NyGM.gif

...but that’s when you want to see signs of what you’re looking for. The good ones have an attitude to win regardless of the situation, Todibo demonstrated no such attitude yesterday.

....it’s not a matter of writing him off, it’s more a matter of caution and wanting to see more before committing to his signature.

Normally in the course of a game there’s something a player does that gets your attention, I call it a ‘that’ll do me moment’ but I didn’t get that at all from Todibo. On yesterday’s evidence, I don’t think he’s got the physicality we need.
You’re not committing to his signature though are you? It’d be the club signing him, not you, and you’d like to think they aren’t basing their decision on watching him in his first game back after 3 months sitting in his house, in a glorified friendly, thinking they know everything there is to know about the elite level of Modern football because they once scored at edgeley park.

You’re not committing to his signature though are you? It’d be the club signing him, not you, and you’d like to think they aren’t basing their decision on watching him in his first game back after 3 months sitting in his house, in a glorified friendly, thinking they know everything there is to know about the elite level of Modern football because they once scored at edgeley park.

...yep, I trust Brands to have done his homework much more than Walsh signing the likes of Tosun, who after watching for 10mins was clearly not what we needed.

Generally, I like Brands and on yesterday’s evidence I’d be surprised if Todibo is high on his shopping list. Saying that, if he is then I trust he’s seen much more of him to have been convinced.

Last edited:
...but that’s when you want to see signs of what you’re looking for. The good ones have an attitude to win regardless of the situation, Todibo demonstrated no such attitude yesterday.

Agreed but he was set up to fail when you set up with 5 defenders, no attacking threat and your manager is the mixture of Farmfoods Klopp and Marco Silva.

Agreed but he was set up to fail when you set up with 5 defenders, no attacking threat and your manager is the mixture of Farmfoods Klopp and Marco Silva.

....as I say, I make no excuses for him. There’s no excuse for an apparent lack of desire or competitiveness although it does seem like he might’ve picked up an injury.

He looked a bit lightweight to me, but perhaps Brands has seen him in better form.

....I wouldn’t make excuses for Todibo’s performance yesterday, he just looked very ordinary and not particularly the type we need. Lack of fitness might be an issue, but he showed no natural pace and power and he didn’t play with any passion. He keeled over when the striker bumped into him which was a bit embarrassing.

Physically he looked too slight and uncompetitive. What it demonstrates is the need to see these players in a match situation and not go off YouTube clips (which is often what I have to rely on). You have to trust what you see and I wouldn’t invest in Todibo when there are other options.

I think its a bit harsh to write him off after one game in those circumstances.

Also, i dont think hes ready to start for us, he would still need to adapt and improve as hes seen as a bit raw like Kean but is also seen as a top prospect. Gabriel is seen as a starter of course...

Didnt you like the the slide where he blocked the cross for the certain goal -- thats one good moment lol

I think its a bit harsh to write him off after one game in those circumstances.

Also, i dont think hes ready to start for us, he would still need to adapt and improve as hes seen as a bit raw like Kean but is also seen as a top prospect. Gabriel is seen as a starter of course...

Didnt you like the the slide where he blocked the cross for the certain goal -- thats one good moment lol

...I’m not writing the lad off, Zat. Just on the evidence of yesterday, I don’t think he’s the dominating type of centre back we need.

If the RS did get him, we should absolutely go in strong fro Gomez, he’s going to be a cracking player him!

I couldn't see them selling to us, but yes he would be a good buy. Next to Holgate would be very good. They will not be paying Koulibaly mega money though, and that was before the Covid crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.