Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The signing of Delph would have seemed to be the exact player we needed.
Even as it is he would be a substantial improvement in our midfield , if fit.

However, he is never fit and does seem to believe that we should accept that he is a better player than what he has really ever shown us.
I think in can do a decent job in an already strong team but when he was expected to be the main man he just wilted.

if only we had looked at his previous injury record for a bit of research before signing him! :confused:

Wolves have spent a fair penny over recent years as have Leicester - just because they haven't wasted £45 million on Siggurdsson doesnt mean they haven't spent.

The strategy for me is clear and I think its one Ancelotti will follow judging by his comment on not needing youth - he wants players in NOW to step up.
They've spent but it's not been on proven players by and large. Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi, Soyuncu and so on were not proven players and aside from Moutinho and Patricio none of the Wolves guys were either. Patricio was free I think.

We need to look at Wolves and Leicester and we need to buy proven players and try to win right now aren't compatible viewpoints.

They've spent but it's not been on proven players by and large. Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi, Soyuncu and so on were not proven players and aside from Moutinho and Patricio none of the Wolves guys were either. Patricio was free I think.

We need to look at Wolves and Leicester and we need to buy proven players and try to win right now aren't compatible viewpoints.

But you get my point - proven players = not 19 year olds or bang average players.

I think you take posts too literally at times mate lol

I think we're all aware the midfield is the problem, and that we could cope with the same defence and attack for next season. We've been burnt before with getting players from the teams above us who just use us as a retirement centre. We've also seen that players moving up the league to bigger clubs, go with something to prove and in general excel (note not always, but generally do). That said, my preference would be to harvest midfielders from the teams around and below us, so a). we've got players who can hit the ground running and don't need to settle into the league and b). will make us stronger and the other teams weaker, so as to cement our place higher up the league. This is the method that the "Big Boys" use, for example, Man City when they first got money, bought the best players from the teams around them so to make sure they finished above them.

We need a player who can tackle, a player who can create opportunities, and a player who can link others.
Here's my list of potential midfielders from the teams around and below who I think could do a job, would consider coming here, and wouldn't cost the earth:

1. Shelvey (28). Good passer and can add experience as well as a bit of fight. Obviously an ex-RS, but who cares. Decent set piece taker and long ball passer.
2. Hojbjerg (24). His stats aren't flashy, but sometimes the small integral cog in a team goes unnoticed. We need a player who can keep the wheels turning and the play moving forwards (e.g. Barry / Carrick etc). Is he the guy to link the team together?
3. Soucek (25). From what I've seen in his short time at West Ham I'm impressed. Only on loan as well, so maybe a deal could be done. We know Moyes has an eye for a midfield bargain, so why not hijack it!
4. Fornals (24). Could be that little bit of magic in the middle for us. Has impressed in a poor team so far.
5. McNeil (20). Good season at Burnley, highly regarded, could be a good replacement if Bernard is sold.
6. Torreira (24) or Guendouzi (21). Would add a bit of bite to the middle. Although could see them getting sent off a lot for us! I know these guys aren't Arsenals best players, but they have been integral squad players for them and would improve us.
7. Townsend (29). There's a player in there and he shows flashes of it, reminds me a lot of Barkley, and we do cry out for a midfielder who can carry the ball forward. Does he need to be playing at a higher level to get the best out of him? Could Walcott go in the other direction? He's someone I wanted us to sign in 2017, might be a few years too late though! File under better than Iwobi...

It isn't though right? Because Richarlison for example wasn't proven to be good when we signed him but is now. That's why proven and good are different words.

There's a fine line between "proven" and "big club has-been". It's a line we tend to often fall on the wrong side of.

I think we're all aware the midfield is the problem, and that we could cope with the same defence and attack for next season. We've been burnt before with getting players from the teams above us who just use us as a retirement centre. We've also seen that players moving up the league to bigger clubs, go with something to prove and in general excel (note not always, but generally do). That said, my preference would be to harvest midfielders from the teams around and below us, so a). we've got players who can hit the ground running and don't need to settle into the league and b). will make us stronger and the other teams weaker, so as to cement our place higher up the league. This is the method that the "Big Boys" use, for example, Man City when they first got money, bought the best players from the teams around them so to make sure they finished above them.

We need a player who can tackle, a player who can create opportunities, and a player who can link others.
Here's my list of potential midfielders from the teams around and below who I think could do a job, would consider coming here, and wouldn't cost the earth:

1. Shelvey (28). Good passer and can add experience as well as a bit of fight. Obviously an ex-RS, but who cares. Decent set piece taker and long ball passer.
2. Hojbjerg (24). His stats aren't flashy, but sometimes the small integral cog in a team goes unnoticed. We need a player who can keep the wheels turning and the play moving forwards (e.g. Barry / Carrick etc). Is he the guy to link the team together?
3. Soucek (25). From what I've seen in his short time at West Ham I'm impressed. Only on loan as well, so maybe a deal could be done. We know Moyes has an eye for a midfield bargain, so why not hijack it!
4. Fornals (24). Could be that little bit of magic in the middle for us. Has impressed in a poor team so far.
5. McNeil (20). Good season at Burnley, highly regarded, could be a good replacement if Bernard is sold.
6. Torreira (24) or Guendouzi (21). Would add a bit of bite to the middle. Although could see them getting sent off a lot for us! I know these guys aren't Arsenals best players, but they have been integral squad players for them and would improve us.
7. Townsend (29). There's a player in there and he shows flashes of it, reminds me a lot of Barkley, and we do cry out for a midfielder who can carry the ball forward. Does he need to be playing at a higher level to get the best out of him? Could Walcott go in the other direction? He's someone I wanted us to sign in 2017, might be a few years too late though! File under better than Iwobi...

You almost lost me when you said we can cope with the same defence and attack next season.

Thats something im tired of reading on here. We need a new RB and a CB or we wont get very far.

We already took the approach youre suggesting under Koeman. Look how that turned out.

Hope we dont sign any of them mate.

I mean Shelvey Fornals & Townsend !?!?

It isn't though right? Because Richarlison for example wasn't proven to be good when we signed him but is now. That's why proven and good are different words.

Richarlison was on fire at the start at Watford the whole Silva debacle/sacking and the new manager and system messed his form somewhat.

I would still say he was somewhat proven compared to say when we signed Holgate/Stones.

I'm very much of the thinking that Buendia answers a lot of our problems at right mid and would help improve us as a team. He'd bring aggression off the ball combined with ability on the ball at a level that is so sorely lacking in our midfield, although I do accept that there's a question mark over his lack of goals. And yes, Gueye shown up brilliantly in the stats, but as does Buendia, so that's an argument that can't be used against him.

I've never watched him play to be honest ha my opinion counts for very little because i don't watch any footy anymore, I've just never heard of him. I don't like players I've never heard of when they play in our own division. I just think we really need a kanchelskis type, there'll be players around like that, especially from smaller European teams, we just need to scout properly. Id like to see brands explore the world market a lot better than he has, it's what he did so well hence why we got him. We could have got any old scout to know delph, iwobi, rojo, zaha, zouma etc.

Lucas Torreira and Ndombele seems to be on the outs at their respective clubs. If we could get either at a decent price, I'd be very happy to sign them. Either would massive improvements over what we have in the CM currently.

Both have failed in the prem otherwise why would those clubs be getting rid? We're trying to overtake their teams, we're going around in circles if we keep helping them by buying players they're desperate to offload.

Status
Not open for further replies.