Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't, in any way, counter the point I made. It's just a way to try to weasel out of being wrong really.
You've made an argument that is complete horse crap though. 12 months he signed 12 players is a convenient way to split it up that has no real basis in how football works as it encompasses two different summers and 3 windows total. 5 first teamers per summer and 1 in January is completely different than 7+ in one window. Especially when you've got two goalkeepers in there who aren't really learning a system.

I think it's a matter of what's available. Passing up on a promising player for a ready now guy could be detrimental and not even that far down the road. Look how quickly Sigurdsson instead of any of the up and coming attacking players has gone bad
I’m not looking for sell on value in 3/4 years from now just players that will improve us come August when season kicks off.
I may be wrong but I don’t see next season being much different to this in terms of the likes of Arsenal Chelsea Spurs Utd improving much, so we must be ready to pounce from the first game next season.

I’m not looking for sell on value in 3/4 years from now just players that will improve us come August when season kicks off.
I may be wrong but I don’t see next season being much different to this in terms of the likes of Arsenal Chelsea Spurs Utd improving much, so we must be ready to pounce from the first game next season.
I'm not looking at sell on value either. I'm just patient enough to let a player become a better footballer instead of buying one who is better for a year but doesn't improve and isn't as good afterward.

You've made an argument that is complete horse crap though. 12 months he signed 12 players is a convenient way to split it up that has no real basis in how football works as it encompasses two different summers and 3 windows total. 5 first teamers per summer and 1 in January is completely different than 7+ in one window. Especially when you've got two goalkeepers in there who aren't really learning a system.
You're trying to say that players City signed don't count because they got injured or because they played a lot as a sub. Yet on the other hand you're trying to use us an example of it not working when you're obviously including the likes of Klaassen and Sandro who hardly played at all. It's ok to be wrong sometimes, and you are in this instance. You should really be used to it by now anyway.

You're trying to say that players City signed don't count because they got injured or because they played a lot as a sub. Yet on the other hand you're trying to use us an example of it not working when you're obviously including the likes of Klaassen and Sandro who hardly played at all. It's ok to be wrong sometimes, and you are in this instance. You should really be used to it by now anyway.
If you're breaking things up in the most convenient way to suit yourself, you probably aren't right either.

Regardless I look at how City buy and integrate players and see a level of coherence that we don't have. You can go ahead and say that isn't true, but I'm really not sure how that can even be remotely controversial. Does it make a difference that when you bring someone in you don't chuck them off the deep end and have them starting every game? I'd say yes. Does it make a difference that you replace the backline piece by piece instead of bringing in everyone at once? Again a yes for me. City showed how it goes wrong in Pep's first season.

So applying that to Everton's upcoming summer, I think we need to be very careful with how many players we try to sign. Especially when the original post suggested selling 4 of the current 7 defenders we use and replacing them all. To me, that's too much for the continuity of the team to not be harmed.

If you're breaking things up in the most convenient way to suit yourself, you probably aren't right either.

Regardless I look at how City buy and integrate players and see a level of coherence that we don't have. You can go ahead and say that isn't true, but I'm really not sure how that can even be remotely controversial. Does it make a difference that when you bring someone in you don't chuck them off the deep end and have them starting every game? I'd say yes. Does it make a difference that you replace the backline piece by piece instead of bringing in everyone at once? Again a yes for me. City showed how it goes wrong in Pep's first season.

So applying that to Everton's upcoming summer, I think we need to be very careful with how many players we try to sign. Especially when the original post suggested selling 4 of the current 7 defenders we use and replacing them all. To me, that's too much for the continuity of the team to not be harmed.
I'm not breaking it up in a convenient way at all. You said specifically that City had been careful about not making too many signings, I was just saying that they hadn't, and providing figures that prove it.

The point you're making now is a completely different one, and one I agree with. City signed better players, and had a plan for what to do with them. That made it work. My whole point is that what we need is to have a plan and sign good players. If we do that, signing 6 players in the summer will work out just fine. If we don't, and just sign a load of average players and try to throw them all in, it won't. That's because the number of signings isn't the issue, it's what you do with them.

My first post was about signing a 4th choice centre half. That's a player who isn't being thrown in, who you're hoping only needs to play half a dozen league games or whatever, and yet you disagreed, saying it was too much upheaval. Now you're saying as long as they don't get chucked in it's fine. That's OK then, we agree.

Again, if Ancelotti and Brands really rate Keane, or Sidibe, or Schneiderlin, or whoever, then we should keep them. Obviously, that goes without saying. If they don't, we absolutely should not keep them because changing some of the back up options in the squad might cause too much upheaval. If they do it properly it won't, and that's what we pay them for.

I'm not breaking it up in a convenient way at all. You said specifically that City had been careful about not making too many signings, I was just saying that they hadn't, and providing figures that prove it.

The point you're making now is a completely different one, and one I agree with. City signed better players, and had a plan for what to do with them. That made it work. My whole point is that what we need is to have a plan and sign good players. If we do that, signing 6 players in the summer will work out just fine. If we don't, and just sign a load of average players and try to throw them all in, it won't. That's because the number of signings isn't the issue, it's what you do with them.

My first post was about signing a 4th choice centre half. That's a player who isn't being thrown in, who you're hoping only needs to play half a dozen league games or whatever, and yet you disagreed, saying it was too much upheaval. Now you're saying as long as they don't get chucked in it's fine. That's OK then, we agree.

Again, if Ancelotti and Brands really rate Keane, or Sidibe, or Schneiderlin, or whoever, then we should keep them. Obviously, that goes without saying. If they don't, we absolutely should not keep them because changing some of the back up options in the squad might cause too much upheaval. If they do it properly it won't, and that's what we pay them for.
There's certainly a case to be made that signing someone to only be 4th choice is not really necessary. If we are going to sign a CB I see no reason to not make it someone who could start. And at that point we would then have to consider how we go about bedding that player in.

We aren't good enough to spend money on backups on purpose. Every signing should be someone we think can be a regular.

There's certainly a case to be made that signing someone to only be 4th choice is not really necessary. If we are going to sign a CB I see no reason to not make it someone who could start. And at that point we would then have to consider how we go about bedding that player in.

We aren't good enough to spend money on backups on purpose. Every signing should be someone we think can be a regular.
I said we should sign 2 centre backs. One to be first choice and one to be fourth choice. That inflates the number of players you're signing, but it doesn't mean you're throwing too many players in at once, because one of them is only back up. You're missing the point. I was saying that we could afford it because we would be selling Keane. So the starter is bought with the Keane money, and the back up is a cheap squad filler who is good enough to play when needed. I don't think 3 centre halves is enough to get you through a whole season in normal circumstances. I'm amazed we've managed it so far this year.

I said we should sign 2 centre backs. One to be first choice and one to be fourth choice. That inflates the number of players you're signing, but it doesn't mean you're throwing too many players in at once, because one of them is only back up. You're missing the point. I was saying that we could afford it because we would be selling Keane. So the starter is bought with the Keane money, and the back up is a cheap squad filler who is good enough to play when needed. I don't think 3 centre halves is enough to get you through a whole season in normal circumstances. I'm amazed we've managed it so far this year.
Without intimate knowledge of the finances, I'd guess the more cost efficient move would be to keep Keane and just by 1 CB. I just don't know who we can get that is good enough and willing to come in with little chance of playing. If Keane wanted to go maybe just rely on Branthwaite/Gibson.

Nonsense. Dortmund spent half that, if even that, for Haaland.

Scratch that, It was a quarter of that
After agents fees about 40 million.
And we were never in the running.
20 goal a season strikers in the premier league are gold dust.
Dcl will get 17 or 18 this season.
Richarlison the same.
We need more goals from elsewhere.
Look at the top scorers in the league
How many are clinical strikers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.