Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point on Mordor recruitment, but then you could say the same about us and they have had stability in management, they have also had time to improve and grow as a team to get to this point to attack the title.

Thats fair enough mate, i think we need two or three myself for balance and go up a rung on the ladder, we might need another two or three next summer, to go up another. But i think to much change has been a symptom of both problems on the pitch and off it in recent times. So from that point of view im backing a pragmatic, incremental approach that enables continuity, consistency, growth and development.

Thats just me mind i respect were you and the other lads are coming from.
Management stability is definitely a big thing I think.

It just took us 4 managers post moyes and hundreds of millions wasted to find the right one. The RS struck gold when Rodgers was sacked that Klopp was available. If only Ancelotti was the moyes left. I think we’d be contending for the CL on a regular basis by now.

Its been a horror show to be honest mate in my opinion.

We go on about recruitment and actually slate players but more change is the last thing we need. If i was someone like say Sigurrdson id be reading these pages and thinking ive been here two and half years and had five different managers, playing me in different systems, positions every few months and bringing in new players constantly for me to try and develop a relationship with.

You look at stilted development in the likes of Tom Davies, imagine if he had been working under Carlo for three years, Lookman had all the talent in the world and never kicked on and developed got frustrated and left. Look at Kenny he has thrived away from here this year, would that have happened if he had stayed here for the year - im pretty sure it wouldn't.

Sometimes you have to look inward and be self aware and self reflective as a club and how much the environment of the club has impacted on the team and players as opposed to the players just not performing or developing. The lack of continuity and consistency has been a massive undermining factor both on and off the pitch. Look at the development in DCL in just a short space of time with manager who understands how to get the best out of him.

I have a lot of sympathy for a lot of our players.

I think we have had to much change mate in the squad mate as exciting as it is to make loads of signings, i think it undermines continuity and consistency our results have reflected that. A lot of outs and a lot of ins isnt great for team development. That is further undermined by 4 or 5 managers, its bery poor for players to develop. When you look at the teams at the top of the table namely Mordor, City etc. They haven't signed an awful lot recently, they have built, developed consistency and grown together over time and improved under one manager.

When i look at our team its young with head space for development, we have Richarlison and DCL, who are getting to the stage were they are touching 20 goals a year, Holgate kicking on, head space to develop with Kean and Gordon and promising center backs in Gibson, Branthwaite and Kenny more then holding his own in Germany. Gelling this squad together and allowing a team to emerge through their stage s of development is key, i expect all those to kick on in a year to improved levels. Its bolstered by other quality players who we have brought - Gomes, etc. It needs augmenting and balance with the three positions i mentioned but i genuinely dont think we need much, i honestly would prefer to go minimal and have consistency and continuity at this point.

We could do with looseing a few, but we have Stek, Garbutt, Niasse, Cuco as natural wastage this summer, looks like we can do a deal for Morgan. If we can loose Besic, Sandro and Bolaise even better. But the summer of 2021 is an important time for us as bar Cenk we will have pretty much run the anti virus of poor recruitment at the club and look forward to having a squad of purpose and value.

So to sumerise, this team now needs consistency and continuity, its is developing and the players in it improving with plenty of head room its a time for growth. It can be augmented with signings but not radically its needs the time. Outs are welcome the more the better and quickly but im looking at June 2021 as a key date for us.
I’m not sure that’s true about Liverpool. That team has been almost completely rebuilt since Klopp took over, the squad is unrecognisable from say 4 years ago.

It’s all very well picking up 1 or 2 new players when you’ve got a good base to start with but I honestly think there’s 4 or 5 positions we need starters in, without even looking at improving depth wise.

Obviously I realise it isn’t going to happen but I think it’s what we need.
Yes it’s all about opinions mate

And my post wasn’t directed solely at you, was just my opinion on sitting deep.

And actually I do think it’s something Ancelotti May do. You can only do so much with the personal you have. Something Silva couldn’t grasp. Never changing no matter if you have the right players or not.

If Ancelotti sticks with 442 and were going for stability:

GK: Pickford / Lossl / Virginia
RB: Kenny / Coleman
RCB: Mina / Keane
LCB: Holgate
LB: Digne / Baines
RW: Walcott
CM: Davies / Gbamin
CM: Gomes / Delph
LM: Iwobi / Bernard
CF: DCL / Gordon
CF: Richarlison / Kean

This summer the minimum business id like is:

Sell Kenny
Sell Keane

Sign RB, 2×CB, 2×CM, 1×RW = 6 players

Next summer i think we would have to:

Sell Lossl and Virginia
Sell Coleman
Release Baines
Sell Delph
Release Walcott
Sell Iwobi or Bernard

Thats 7 players.

Ive written it several times over the season but to me, we only have half a squad.

If we do only sign 3 players this window then they need to be TOP 4 quality to drag us up to around 6th.

It just took us 4 managers post moyes and hundreds of millions wasted to find the right one. The RS struck gold when Rodgers was sacked that Klopp was available. If only Ancelotti was the moyes left. I think we’d be contending for the CL on a regular basis by now.
I hate to admit this but rodgers isn't a bad base for a manager to come into. I'd prefer that to the aboslute shambles all our managers have come into post moyes

We're not good enough.We're currently sitting 12th in a league that has Sheff Utd fighting for a champion league spot. He'd improve us at the back,as he did when he played.
We may not be wonderful but will never get to where we want to be if Zouma is the level of our ambition.
A good player , pacy but raw and with lots of mistakes in him.

Im not sure zouma's 4 good months in how many seasons in the prem is what we should be looking to throw a wad of cash at, how much would we get for him if the tables were turned? £5m? 10 at most.

Didn't Brands mention three players ? So has to be centre half, centre mid an right wing, hope he chooses the right ones. Don't mind buying less as long as they are the right ones, in the correct positions.
Disagree. I think it's fair to say that Holgate established himself last season as a senior player, to the extent that many were calling for him to be part of the England squad. So we have 3 senior CBs to cover 2 positions. Many premier clubs go with that number now and use the youth teams as cover. Right Back however remains a problem. Neither Coleman or Kenny are good enough. Right Back therefore has to be a higher priority than CB for me. Centre mid and right wing I agree with. That's if we get 3 of course.

On this subject, now League 1 is over, can we not get Lewis Gibson back into the fold? I'd give him some games to see if he's ready to cover at this level. What have we to lose apart from financially?

I hate to admit this but rodgers isn't a bad base for a manager to come into. I'd prefer that to the aboslute shambles all our managers have come into post moyes
What I was meaning mate, they had a top class manager readily available when Rodgers left, sadly we hadn’t until Ancelotti came along.

I fear today will be a grim reminder of how far away we are from competing, hopefully we can see some youngsters over the next nine games and then rebuild for next season. Shift the deadwood and add two or three players who can improve the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.