Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Holgate is playing RB? I'd rather we didn't.

Whens the last time you saw Holgate playing in the same system Ancelotti used when the 4 became a 3?

Never...so you dont know how that would function in comparison to

Sidibe -- cant defend...no positional sense
Coleman -- on his last legs
Kenny -- may be decent backup/cover

Holgate played RB for West Brom and apparently was very good. Hes now emerging as a class Centre Back who has played all over defence and in centre midfield.

I think if Ancelotti favours that system of 4 switching to 3 in/out of posession then he would be better suited than any of the other options + allows us to play Todibo and Gabriel if signed.

Im not saying this would be set in stone but, its an option. Another option is Todibo on the right or either of them as defensive midfielder.

Something to get all 3 on the pitch at the same time.

Whens the last time you saw Holgate playing in the same system Ancelotti used when the 4 became a 3?

Never...so you dont know how that would function in comparison to

Sidibe -- cant defend...no positional sense
Coleman -- on his last legs
Kenny -- may be decent backup/cover

Holgate played RB for West Brom and apparently was very good. Hes now emerging as a class Centre Back who has played all over defence and in centre midfield.

I think if Ancelotti favours that system of 4 switching to 3 in/out of posession then he would be better suited than any of the other options + allows us to play Todibo and Gabriel if signed.

Im not saying this would be set in stone but, its an option. Another option is Todibo on the right or either of them as defensive midfielder.

Something to get all 3 on the pitch at the same time.
I'd prefer a real right back and I don't think that systems where a four becomes a three work long term. They're too gimmicky and if you're playing it for months on end it is going to be found out. It is great for an international tournament or a cup game but not a league season.

The other thing of course is that our defense didn't actually play well at any point this season. I think it could be as simple as signing Todibo and Gabriel to play together if that is the route we're going. But at this point that Todibo link feels very premature to be taken seriously.

Also premature is penciling in Holgate as the future after a run where we were poor defensively basically the entire time. There are clearly about 6 different reasons for that but drawing a positive conclusion about a defender when that is going on isn't what I'm set to do. I just put a big question mark on anyone that plays in the backline or defensive midfield except maybe Digne because even if he isn't up to it defensively his passing in midfield and impact in the final third add enough value. The rest have to prove themselves next year because this wasn't good enough. Unsurprisingly we got worse without Gueye.

My guess is that the formation we play next season is either the 4-4-2 that we've been playing or a 4-3-1-2. Holgate or Mina would partner with Gabriel or someone else as I believe the interest in a left footed CB to be genuine, a new RB would be required and depending on the exact configuration of the midfield we'd need a winger or a #10 and a CM who can play if Gbamin isn't up to it.

View attachment 84856
I know people always make the joke “I’ll drive him there myself” but on this occasion I will actually drive him there myself.

I would too and I don't even drive, so that would require me to break social distancing rules to take a load of diving lessons, take a driving test, pass the driving test and then break lock down rules by driving all the way from South Wales to liverpool for non essential travel, again break social distancing rules by having him in my car and then do two further non essential drives to Sheffield and then back home to South Wales.

I didn't even bother with a full stop above because I wanted to drive him there so eagerly.

That was under Ferguson. He's a centre half,I suspect that's where he'll play.

Yeah, he's not the type of centre mid require, by all means have him as a backup option after newbie, gomes, gbsmin and davies. I mean it could be possible we look to save money and try him as first choice right back next season. We need two centre backs imo, but would we have been able to get Gibson to sign a new contract if that was the plan?

Who are the new people running the club? What's happened to the production line of the academy? What do people make of Setien?

From the outside it looks like terrible governance and a require for sales to finance more buys. I like Barcelona (a soft spot for Orwell) but it looks as if theyve turned into the very thing they fought hard against. Maybe it was always inevitable?

Rosell & Bartomeu are the principal clowns and their mandate began in 2010. Rosell resigned & went to jail and Bartomeu continued and was re-elected despite facing votes of no confidence, lawsuits (even by club members), board member resignations & firings, the Barcagate fiasco and routine whistles at matches. There is also speculation Rosell is returning to the board which only reinforces the sentiment that he was pulling the strings behind the curtain anyway.

How does a disastrous & corrupt board like this survive? How does Trump or any other cretin manage to stay afloat, consolidate power and rule with impunity. I still haven't been able to guess whether COVID actually helps insulate them ahead of next season (Their last ahead of 2021 elections) since there remains the big renovation project that their greedy hands are deep into

As for inevitability, beggars belief really. To go from the heights of Laporta & Pep to the erosion of club ethos, cantera etc is tragic

If we signed both Todibo + Gabriel then i imagine it would mean:

Keane: Sold / Gibson: Loan

Gabriel / Holgate / Todibo / Mina

Also remember the formation/tactics Ancelotti used with Coleman at right back then coming across to make a 3 ?

That could be a position where both Holgate + Todibo feature.

Ancelotti also loves to rotate it seems...and i dont think either Keane or Mina are safe...just Holgate.

In theory also we could move on Mina + Keane for around the same fees we would be paying for Todibo and Gabriel + then have Gibson as 4th choice.

The most likely answer to me is it's either or with Gabriel. That either Everton or Barcelona are using the links to either pressure Lille or flush out other bidders for Todibo.

However a world does exist where we might sign both. We seem to be linked with a lot of centre backs and of quite different profiles (consider Thiago Silva). It could be that the manager is after 2. I also saw the Dutch lad from Alkmaar we were linked with, who can also play in midfield. I wonder if thats part of the thinking as well, getting people who can play in more than 1 position to help us have some depth in the squad?

The other factor in this, is that Gabriel has supposedly played at left back, we know Holgate can play at right back, both can play in midfield as can Todibo. Ityt may be that rather than buying in a full back we have half an eye on Holgate going out there if Kenny doesn't take his chance. Kenny's value will have plunged and there are in a tricky situation with him, with 2 years left on his deal, but maybe starting with him, seeing how he gets on but having in the back of your mind Holgate can slot in has to be a consideration. I think Holgate is a good footballer and can play well in a number of positions. Playing more centre backs across the back will also likely give us some stability and a platform that allows us to maybe be a little more offensive in midfield.

I also think Todibo and Gabriel are different. Todibo is still very raw, a bit behind Gabriel, but probably a higher ceiling. Gabriel probably has a lower ceiling but is more developed currently.

It would mean either Keane or Mina leaves. I hope it's Keane. I said last night online I actually think there would be a deceptive number of takers for him. I think Spurs, with less money, under Mourinho next to Sanchez could really fancy him. Brighton replacing Dunk, Leicester replacing Evans (Keane would be really good next to the Turkish lad).

I think Mina should get another go. I really like Mina but he's been disappointing to me even with last seasons improvement. However I do believe in giving people time and I think, with the profile of defender we are talking about below him he could kick on a notch. He would need to step up as a leader of the defence, but he may relish that. I mean it's a long shot but in some games a back 4 of those 4 lads would be very imposing. Digne is no slouch either, but you effectively cover him with a CB and we essentially adapt the way we play a little. It gives Iwobi/Bernard more freedom in front of them.

As a final aside, I wonder how much of this is opportunism. A player we've liked, who's done well in Germany has had 25% knocked off his price. In general most reported figures for players we've negotiated down under Brands. They may be able to get him for under £15m and Brands just feels it's too good a price to wlak away from, seeing the upside.

Rosell & Bartomeu are the principal clowns and their mandate began in 2010. Rosell resigned & went to jail and Bartomeu continued and was re-elected despite facing votes of no confidence, lawsuits (even by club members), board member resignations & firings, the Barcagate fiasco and routine whistles at matches. There is also speculation Rosell is returning to the board which only reinforces the sentiment that he was pulling the strings behind the curtain anyway.

How does a disastrous & corrupt board like this survive? How does Trump or any other cretin manage to stay afloat, consolidate power and rule with impunity. I still haven't been able to guess whether COVID actually helps insulate them ahead of next season (Their last ahead of 2021 elections) since there remains the big renovation project that their greedy hands are deep into

As for inevitability, beggars belief really. To go from the heights of Laporta & Pep to the erosion of club ethos, cantera etc is tragic

So essentially these two, have moved away from what worked before 2010. What motivated them to do it? Is there much of a call to go back to what worked before?

Yeah, he's not the type of centre mid require, by all means have him as a backup option after newbie, gomes, gbsmin and davies. I mean it could be possible we look to save money and try him as first choice right back next season. We need two centre backs imo, but would we have been able to get Gibson to sign a new contract if that was the plan?
Square pegs in square holes for me.

If this doesn't get @chicoazul back posting I don't know what will

We didn't sign either
But we do have the player himself admitting he spoke to Carlo, and rumours are we did talk but inter bumped the price

Giroud is still a Chelsea player
He said himself he agreed to leave but Chelsea cancelled the deal due to lack of a replacement

Signed for Hertha Berlin

Still at PSG
Again, confirmed he had an agreement but pay and atleti couldn't agree a fee

Im not saying Everton wont sign anybody he mentions, but to suggest he has any inside scoops is a big stretch.

So essentially these two, have moved away from what worked before 2010. What motivated them to do it? Is there much of a call to go back to what worked before?

Money is the simplest answer really. Laporta, Rosell & Bartomeu are all club members but only one is a lawyer & Cruyffist (Laporta) - the other two are corproate clowns. Rosell in particular was a former Nike exec in Brasil (Also what likely facilitated the Neymar transfer years ago).

Even at Barcelona's heights with Laporta & Pep, Rosell was critical of Laporta & inclusion of Cruyff. The first thing their new mandate did in 2010 was to kick out Cruyff from his honorary Presidential title which was a sign of things to follow. Most agree Pep's exit was also accelerated a year later due to Rosell & Bartomeu. Neither are interested in the sporting aspects of the club but capitalizing on it's tremendous cash flow to generate advantages for themselves & other partners

Corporate clowns running a club vs those who focus on the club ethos & Cruyff ideals

Status
Not open for further replies.