Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
After yesterday, why would you wanna move James inside when he comes inside of the right anyway? RW is his best position. Ancelotti always plays him there.
Its funny how most people who responded to "who do we move/replace" went the same option, don't think anyone was thinking permanent just as an option to get James in the 10 role to freshen things up, we dont want to come predictable and i know its only one game in but so much positive publicity of the new set up.

But you ain't buying Zaha to stick him on the bench.

If you look at yesterdays team, whos place does he take?
Gomes. Not that he’s take Gomes’s place, but he is the weakest link atm. Zaha can play all along the front, so he would be the perfect signing in theory for that jack in the frontline. If there is another, I’d gladly take him, but we do need one more signing for that area. They are mostly interchangeable already

So Palace are in for Benrahma and we are linked with Zaha again. Not sure there is anything in it. Yet. I know people are saying they dont see where he fits in the starting 11, but we want to compete in the league and the cups, its short sighted to not sign players because the first 11 look good. We need players who can compete and give the manager options, its a long season and we will get injuries and, we will get suspensions

I can't believe people are suggesting benching Gomes already....he played great yesterday and has for 99 percent of the games pre injury?

He was way more inconsistent than 99% mate, even before the injury.

But yesterday he looked class, if he can perform like that every week we're in business

So Palace are in for Benrahma and we are linked with Zaha again. Not sure there is anything in it. Yet. I know people are saying they dont see where he fits in the starting 11, but we want to compete in the league and the cups, its short sighted to not sign players because the first 11 look good. We need players who can compete and give the manager options, its a long season and we will get injuries and, we will get suspensions
I just don't think we can afford what he'd cost for a squad player while we've already got a squad that's too big.

He was really good for Bayern as one of the CMs in a position similar to where Gomes played yesterday and given he is far superior to Gomes it could make sense. Put him on the right side and he can still come from wider on the left foot. If Sarr is available (I don't know the answer to that) we would be stronger with him down the right, Richarlison down the left and James in the middle imo.

The other reason to do it is because teams will do a lot to keep the ball away from our right if James is out there. He's too good for them to let him get involved so they'll try hard to keep the ball as far away as they can. Spurs did that for a spell and we did struggle getting forward a bit. In the middle that becomes a lot harder.

There isn't a bad answer though as James is going to be great at any spot.

Carlo after the game said James isn’t a winger and better in the middle.. but obviously good enough to play across.. I’m sure he would take up a true 10 position if we had the resources out wide

He was way more inconsistent than 99% mate, even before the injury.

But yesterday he looked class, if he can perform like that every week we're in business
Fair enough...maybe 90 percent....but with better players around him...he will only get better himself.

Not sure what you mean? If we sell them why would we need to sign a backup for james?
I'm not necessarily saying we buy a back up for James. I don't think that exists anyway as he's so unique.

James gives us options to which formation/s we play, as he can probably play either side in a 433, at the head of the middle 3 in a 433, centrally in a 4231, at the head of a diamond in a 442, or as a no 10 in a 4411 or 4213. He gives the manager options to pick the formation most suited to the opposition.

he can't play in a traditional 442 because he won't give you the defensive side needed, and nor should he for that matter. So we need players comfortable playing wide midfield or winger if you prefer. Also for when he plays a no 10 role or in a 4231, we'll also need wide men.

You can't get rid of all our players who are comfortable out wide and not replace them. It will so restrict the way we are able to play. Plus, as I said, we also need to be able to mix it up or change our system mid game when things aren't going to plan.

In my opinion, we need to bring in a new winger, preferably right sided but left footed, with more quality and pace than we currently have. I would also keep, for the time being, at least one of the others you mentioned, probably Bernard and also Gordon for cover..

Fair enough...maybe 90 percent....but with better players around him...he will only get better himself.

I honestly think he was more like 50/50!

I do still really rate him tho, when he plays well he looks a class above, but his consistency was definitely a problem, hes had some absolute stinkers (Villa away comes to mind)

As you said tho, now he's playing with a better midfield around him and hes got more freedom to play his game so hopefully we see his class consistently

Status
Not open for further replies.