Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuco Martina was never a major problem for us, signed on a free, earned as much over the life of his contract than some earn in a season, was on loan for a portion of his career with us and even played some games some of those at left back when we had no one else.

I can think of lots of others who were worse than him.
I would say there is a very real chance that he was the worst player in the entire league when he was playing for us. We all know the crazy outliers who've only played one game or whatever, but in terms of a proper bona fide Everton player, I can't think of anyone with less ability than Martina. He honestly looked as if he had no idea what he was doing half the time.

Cuco Martina was never a major problem for us, signed on a free, earned as much over the life of his contract than some earn in a season, was on loan for a portion of his career with us and even played some games some of those at left back when we had no one else.

I can think of lots of others who were worse than him.

Mate regardless of what he earned and the fact he was on a free, he was genuinely one of the worst football players I have ever seen in my life.

He was on a different planet that guy. He was most definitely a problem and him playing more than a few games emphasis how bad we have been ran over the years.

I get your point, but the consideration should always be value, rather than just cost. I appreciate that there is going to be a massively diminishing sell-on value as the years tick by BUT (and I know it's a stretch given our recent transfers), a 29yo midfielder in good physical nick could have 4-5 years left at the top level so we'd be paying £6m-£7.5m per year, plus wages, for a player in a vital position in our squad to raise the level of the team overall.

If Carlo thinks he can get the lad in and playing then I'd be happy with that.
The value is dependent upon a 29 year old with experience only in Italy and Brazil coming to England and being good for 4 or 5 years in midfield. I don't love the odds.

That depends what targets Unsworth is set. The club have kept hold of some younger players too long, but moving players on has been a wider issue across the first team as well for some time. The U23 team has been filled with older players. It may in part be a consequence of the transfer ban though.

I can’t really comment on Unsworth’s performance because I don’t watch the U23’s. However it seems odd to criticise a manager for winning, especially when players are actually coming through to the first team squad.

I was always thought you wanted youngsters to develop a winning mentality.

He's got form for picking first-team players (niasse) over youth prospects in order to win games. TBH, I'm not a fan of the current set up anyway, would rather have reserves and academy teams. I often wonder if the number of injuries we have in recent years is due to first team players not having a a reserve system to get match fit in.

I would say there is a very real chance that he was the worst player in the entire league when he was playing for us. We all know the crazy outliers who've only played one game or whatever, but in terms of a proper bona fide Everton player, I can't think of anyone with less ability than Martina. He honestly looked as if he had no idea what he was doing half the time.
In terms of raw ability, I'd say Niasse was worse.

I have no idea how he ever became a professional.

He's got form for picking first-team players (niasse) over youth prospects in order to win games. TBH, I'm not a fan of the current set up anyway, would rather have reserves and academy teams. I often wonder if the number of injuries we have in recent years is due to first team players not having a a reserve system to get match fit in.
It’s probably a difficult calm for him though because the club may want senior players fit. It might not be his call.
The whole system below the senior team seems flawed at present though.

In terms of raw ability, I'd say Niasse was worse.

I have no idea how he ever became a professional.
Niasse was absolutely terrible, but he could be weirdly effective at times. I also always felt Niasse knew what he wanted to do, he just couldn't actually do it. Martina always just looked a bit like he didn't really understand what he was supposed to be doing. My abiding memories of him are of him being in positions that he just had no business being in, like popping up making a tackle on the centre circle when he was meant to be at left back.

Anyway, I hope we're not having conversations like this for too long because we really need to get a move on with this transfer business.

Mate he was in every single game.
Nowhere near. He was a limited fullback who did his job whilst the team capitulated. Pretty much every game he played with any of Schniederlin, Williams, Sandro, Vlasic, Klaassen, Sigurdsson... There were always players putting in performances far worse than him.

I understand he was nowhere near good enough and shouldnt have been near our club but to say he was the worst player evey game he played that season is utter nonsense. he was nowhere near.

Nowhere near. He was a limited fullback who did his job whilst the team capitulated. Pretty much every game he played with any of Schniederlin, Williams, Sandro, Vlasic, Klaassen, Sigurdsson... There were always players putting in performances far worse than him.

I understand he was nowhere near good enough and shouldnt have been near our club but to say he was the worst player evey game he played that season is utter nonsense. he was nowhere near.
If they keep yelling it and screaming it, it will become true. At least Cuco has a decent cross on him. Not even the worst ball player in that side either. People just want the ‘I told you so’ points

Status
Not open for further replies.