Everton, the media, and perception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference being Spurs finished in good positions, we're 15 games in. Let's not jump ahead just yet, even though we do look fantastic!

Honestly I couldn't give two sh*tes what the patronising ill informed bells prevalent in the media think of us.

I'd rather they kept on patting us on the head until its too late and we've kicked one of their blue eyed boys out of the their precious top four places. [Poor language removed] them, were Everton.

All very well but perception is everything in modern football, good players go to clubs they've heard about, they hear about them via the media. If we never get a mention except a patronising pat on the back we're never gonna compete with the Sky/London clubs

I live in London btw, Everton are definitely well liked by the neutrals and fans of other clubs. I've had strangers give me a nod when they've seen me in an Everton shirt as if to say you're alright. We're a lot people's '2nd' team because of our history and perception of being a good team who just need a bit of money to push on

Honestly I couldn't give two sh*tes what the patronising ill informed bells prevalent in the media think of us.

I'd rather they kept on patting us on the head until its too late and we've kicked one of their blue eyed boys out of the their precious top four places. [Poor language removed] them, were Everton.

So much this.

Yep, to be acknowledged in the media has pretty much no benefit.

I'd rather the players were channeled into trying to prove everyone wrong than basking in the glory of a media love-in.

The majority of football 'journalists' are essentially dirt sheet writers that tend to make themselves look stupid when discussing the game itself, so we shouldn't be surprised by the lack of attention they give Everton.

It's very rare that something happens here which is both exciting to the masses and easy to write an article on in 20 minutes or less. Everton don't spend big money on high profile players, haven't sacked a manager in more than a decade and are owned by a man who will turn an interview into a tangential eulogy if he's asked anything remotely hard-hitting or controversial. In short, covering the Blues would require work.

All very well but perception is everything in modern football, good players go to clubs they've heard about, they hear about them via the media. If we never get a mention except a patronising pat on the back we're never gonna compete with the Sky/London clubs

I live in London btw, Everton are definitely well liked by the neutrals and fans of other clubs. I've had strangers give me a nod when they've seen me in an Everton shirt as if to say you're alright. We're a lot people's '2nd' team because of our history and perception of being a good team who just need a bit of money to push on

This really, its great saying you don't care, but it has an effect, both in who you can get and it also has an effect financially.
The more positive media coverage we get (combined with league finish position of course), the more screen time we'll get through sky and BT, the more money we get.
If we are being portraid as deserving a draw, and not being shown as good as we are, we will not get the air time because Sky want the exciting games to be shown. If we are being described as an exciting, attacking team, we'll get more TV time, therefore more wedge to not spend on players.

That ESPN article was superb.

What I did not like on page one was a suggestion that the FA sholud look to RM to be the next England manager, like hell.

I think finishing fourth brings all that anyway. There's no bonus to the media glare during the season.
Yes but look at the reverse, a team like Liverpool get that stuff without finishing 4th, they've been mediocre for a time now but still get loads of coverage.

That ESPN article was superb.

What I did not like on page one was a suggestion that the FA sholud look to RM to be the next England manager, like hell.

I don't mind, in 15-20 years when we've won the leage 10 times and 7-8 European cups.

We're a bigger club than Chelsea and City (although I've always had a soft spot for them) and Spurs. But Groucho hits the nail on the head- don't look for attention, just do what you need to do without causing a commotion. Supposed 'big' clubs are ones with money and plastic flags, not ones with history and tradition as rich as ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.