Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think there is an element of him overruled by Moshiri on things Brands should (we are told) have total control over, which is possibly why we have had inconsistent recruitment strategy. But, then it's on Brands to put his marker down and demand greater control or leave.

I never feel like I can fully judge Brands until that influence of Moshiri is no longer there, but I'm not sure he will ever stop wanting input.

That's every director of football in the game though isn't it?

Ultimately, the owner is the owner.

We have to accept Brands at his word and he renewed his contract, he endorsed Benitez and he's responsible for the clubs footballing strategy.

We can't go crediting Brands for Godfrey, Digne etc and then blaming Moshiri for Delph, Iwobi etc.

Funny seeing ‘Everton’ and ‘strategy’ in the same sentence. The club that went from polar opposites Martinez to Allardyce in 18 months.

I don’t see any style of play we are trying to implement at any level of the club. Our transfer policy is the definition of scattergun.

Brands has got a bigger job now than when he started.

Funny seeing ‘Everton’ and ‘strategy’ in the same sentence. The club that went from polar opposites Martinez to Allardyce in 18 months.

I don’t see any style of play we are trying to implement at any level of the club. Our transfer policy is the definition of scattergun.

Brands has got a bigger job now than when he started.
I agree. I am no expert but should the Kids upto the 1st team not play in the same style. Hence any under 23's that make the step up understand their roles?

Who are those players?

When did that suddenly start under Brands?

Rodriguez on a free?
Allan?

Hardly a sudden change of tact that. Delph was before Ancelotti at £8-£10m wasn't he.

He also brought in the likes of Godfrey, Nkounkou, Doucoure when Ancelotti was here.

Also, Josh King - was he to appease the 'prestige' manager too? lol
I always believed (perhaps naively) that the Director of Football set the club in the direction it wanted to aspire to . This meant playing style, recruitment policy, academy set up - everything.

It shouldn't matter what manager we get in - because the direction of the club remains almost bloody-mindedly consistent towards an end goal. We seem to employ managers based on no reasoning aside from their availability and whether Moshiri considers them to be a big enough personality to people on the outside.

I'm not really even having a go at Brands - the structure of the football club is a complete mess. Moshiri, Kenwright and Brands all competing for attention in a boardroom with no clear vision or responsibility.

We shouldn't even know Moshiri's name - yet he leers over the club like some sort of bloody huge albatross on the shoulder.

Put your hand in your pocket and slink back into the shadows

Wild to see Villa out there doing incredible business and we're sitting on our thumbs
Having known they were going to be selling Grealish, they were able to get ahead of the market and pick up the players they need.
You can pretty much guarantee that they wouldn't have got Buendia for £20m AFTER the Grealish deal...

If we had a £100m saleable asset then we may have been in a similar position

I always believed (perhaps naively) that the Director of Football set the club in the direction it wanted to aspire to . This meant playing style, recruitment policy, academy set up - everything.

Direction?

Well, this was the Everton team that lost 5-1 to Arsenal in February 2018;

1628081685173.png

Marcel Brands arrived a few months later in May.

The direction is going to take some time to get away from that team and FFP misery Koeman/Walsh put on us ... isn't it?

It shouldn't matter what manager we get in - because the direction of the club remains almost bloody-mindedly consistent towards an end goal. We seem to employ managers based on no reasoning aside from their availability and whether Moshiri considers them to be a big enough personality to people on the outside.

Well, Brands has been in position for two managerial appointments. Silva was already boxed off as he come in - so Ancelotti and Benitez.

Whether Usmanov, Moshiri or Brands - ultimately, we have to believe Brands when he's publicly backing and endorsing the appointment and remaining in position that he's happy/doing his job.

Brands has always gone for established managers/experience prior to Everton, and he's done that here.

I'm not really even having a go at Brands - the structure is a football club is a complete mess. Moshiri, Kenwright and Brands all competing for attention in a boardroom with no clear vision or responsibility.

We shouldn't even know Moshiri's name - yet he leers over the club like some sort of bloody huge albatross on the shoulder.

Put your hand in your pocket and slink back into the shadows

I've always maintained, and been at a loss as to why Moshiri has been reshuffling deck chairs on the titanic with our board. I always expected a clean sweep of the boardroom but it just never happened.

But my whole point I'm trying to make here is around people thinking Brands isn't being allowed to do his job. The same people then tend to praise him for the good, and excuse him/blame Moshiri for the bad.

That's every director of football in the game though isn't it?

Ultimately, the owner is the owner.

We have to accept Brands at his word and he renewed his contract, he endorsed Benitez and he's responsible for the clubs footballing strategy.

We can't go crediting Brands for Godfrey, Digne etc and then blaming Moshiri for Delph, Iwobi etc.
Ultimately he's probably not put up much opposition to Moshiri, perhaps because he doesn't feel like he has much leeway as a result of past form.

However, other owners will put much greater trust in their employees to do their jobs. It does feel that Brands has never had complete control - although I think you could debate if that would've made any difference.

Ultimately he's probably not put up much opposition to Moshiri, perhaps because he doesn't feel like he has much leeway as a result of past form.

However, other owners will put much greater trust in their employees to do their jobs. It does feel that Brands has never had complete control - although I think you could debate if that would've made any difference.

Opposition to Moshiri on what?

Signing all the bad players?

Did Moshiri sign all the good players too?

If Real Madrid come calling for any manager, or player - they're leaving Everton.

The contract would only allow compensation. At the time of that contract discussion - we had a choice between Carlo Ancelotti, who suddenly become available - or David Moyes.

Free agent Carlo Ancelotti had the upper hand in that contract discussion.

The whole point of a DoF model is to dictate longevity/model.

If a manager decides he wants off, or the clubs DoF/owner decides he's off - you replace with a manager who'll continue the project the DoF/owner have in place.

They did that - they replaced one dinosaur of the game with another. The highest profile of manager they could bring in at that time. That's evidence of 'long term football strategy'
Suppose it depends on who "they" are. The club appears to be a mess from top to bottom. The young up and coming manager model disappeared with Silva. If you were the suspicious type you might think Moshiri is looking just to cash in on the new stadium.

Suppose it depends on who "they" are. The club appears to be a mess from top to bottom. The young up and coming manager model disappeared with Silva. If you were the suspicious type you might think Moshiri is looking just to cash in on the new stadium.
Any manager leaves Everton to take the job at Real Madrid. It's pretty daft to think otherwise.

Brands is totally clueless. Recruitment has been our achillies heal and he’s the man in charge.

we’re sat here with the season about to kick off and he’s still not capable of finding a replacement right back.

total disappointment and waste of a large salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.