Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the clubs CEO when he was appointed to the board in 2019;

She said: "We were thrilled to appoint Marcel this summer and he is now responsible and accountable for delivering the long-term, holistic, football strategy and principles from Academy through to first-team.

"Marcel has begun his work delivering the club's long-term permanent football strategy, working closely with Academy director Joel Waldron and head of football strategy Richard Battle.

I've seen nothing since that date in 2019, that suggests to me that Brands doesn't have the autonomy to do his job. Sure, players have come in who are clearly manager driven but that's the game. Brands would be a fool to not consult with managers, and indeed - his considerable scouting setup/network/departments. All that matters is continuity and that he has the overriding long term strategy and ensuring no big transfers come in that don't fit that plan.

The issue isn't the model, it works across world football. The issue is whether he's good enough.
Disagree. It works across world football when the club leaves the DOF to get on with the job, which includes selecting coaches who will manage the day to day aspects of the team in line with the overall club strategy.. Everton haven't done that. They, or rather we, have selected coaches/managers who will not work within that model but prefer to do things their own way.

You mention continuity in your post. Well continuity is one of the main things we don't have.

You may be right in that Brands isn't actually good enough. He may not be. My issue is that the club haven't allowed him the opportunity to prove that he is good enough.

Disagree. It works across world football when the club leaves the DOF to get on with the job, which includes selecting coaches who will manage the day to day aspects of the team in line with the overall club strategy.. Everton haven't done that.

Haven't we?

I look at;

1. Promoted to the board in 2019 with very clear public statements from owner/CEO as to why/his remit.
2. He renewed his contract when he could have left.
3. He publicly endorsed Benitez.
4. Paid big money/the lion share of budget on players Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of.

I mean, even only the other month he joined three more boards in the board of Everton Investments Ltd, Everton Finance Ltd and Goodison Park Stadium Ltd.

If anything, the fella is being given too much autonomy.

Switch it on it's head - we brought in one of the most decorated managers in the game in Carlo Ancelotti, and then spent most of the money we had on who Marcel Brands wanted in Godfrey/Doucoure.

They, or rather we, have selected coaches/managers who will not work within that model but prefer to do things their own way.

Well, two since Brands was on the board.

Ancelotti - as above, the biggest transfer we paid Ancelotti hadn't heard of/said it was a club transfer so it suggests Brands called the shots.
Benitez - window isn't over yet - we've spent £2m.

You mention continuity in your post. Well continuity is one of the main things we don't have.

You may be right in that Brands isn't actually good enough. He may not be. My issue is that the club haven't allowed him the opportunity to prove that he is good enough.

I think we have and I've yet to see anything that tells me otherwise.

A director of football will take input from managers. If Real Madrid can afford it, expect them to listen to Carlo Ancelotti on Richarlison.

I think we have to take what the club, and Brands say at face value. Any inbound transfer, Brands signs off on. I believe that to be true, so I credit Brands with the good and the bad.

The Everton Way is:

Manager completely controlling who comes and goes through the doors of the club, player-wise, and what style of football we play.

They are supported by scouts, the club secretary, the CEO and owner.

The moment we deviated from that we fell apart. It is an alien structure for us, and every manager we've had since we had a DoF has been determined to makes sure they grab the steering wheel away from the couple of hapless DoFs...and rightly so IMO.

The Everton Way is:

Manager completely controlling who comes and goes through the doors of the club, player-wise, and what style of football we play.

They are supported by scouts, the club secretary, the CEO and owner.

The moment we deviated from that we fell apart. It is an alien structure for us, and every manager we've had since we had a DoF has been determined to makes sure they grab the steering wheel away from the couple of hapless DoFs...and rightly so IMO.

Yeh sure let's follow "The Everton Way"

Then be left with a squad full of players a new manager doesn't want when the first is inevitably sacked.

I assume by "The Everton Way" you mean "The Wrong Way" to run a football club.

Totally agree.
What was he doing over in America with the squad training ?
No need to be there.
Should be sat at his desk dealing with the gobshite agents who run the game it seems.

And as for City spending £100m on a player when they have Silva, Mahrez, Torres and bloody Foden in those positions already, the games gone.

Not giving the ‘big 6’ a transfer ban or massive fine for wanting to leave will kill any competitiveness for years.
This is why I’m surprised the club actually give a toss about FFP. It’s financial unfair play and no mistake. We’ve pissed money up the wall sure, but so did City and Chelsea to varying degrees on their way to where they are now. We’ll barely get punished for breaking FFP, City got a slap on the wrist at worst, and barely even got a nudge from the powers that be for trying to leave the bloody league.

The game is currently absurd so if we’ve got the money we think we have we should just crack on.

I think the only thing that should matter is who Everton buy or sell. We can all guess and assume which individual chooses transfer targets but the player signs a contract with the club not the dof or manager.
Also what is it with wanting to know the exact details of someone’s job,what good is that information? The only thing that matters is the success of Everton.If,like now,we are not being successful then we are right to criticise and suggest resignations etc.But wanting to know how decisions are made and speculate on who does this and that is,to me,totally pointless.

Yeh sure let's follow "The Everton Way"

Then be left with a squad full of players a new manager doesn't want when the first is inevitably sacked.

I assume by "The Everton Way" you mean "The Wrong Way" to run a football club.
The Everton Way in the decade before the half decade after the DoF Way was much better.

The Everton Way in the decade before the half decade after the DoF Way was much better.

Let's paint a little picture for you David; see if you still think "The Everton Way" works.

We appoint a defensive manager like Benitez who seems to prioritise target man strikers, wingers that cross more than shoot, deeper defences, grocks in the middle. Say it doesn't work out and he's sacked. Do we repeat failure and sign a manager of the same style? No, why would we.

So we hire a more progressive attacking manager who prefers a higher defence which maybe our CB's can't do, prefers quicker more nimble strikers leaving target men of no use to try sell, prefers wingers that come inside and shoot more than cross which ours can't do, prefers centre mids that control the middle with passing rather than their physicality.

We're then left with half a squad that's of no use and requiring a good 5-6 signings to suit the new manager.

Is "The Everton Way" going to help us get to where we want to be?

The Everton Way, the same as the DoF Way, has equalled the same thing - zero trophies

The latter at least tries to get us on a footing spending wise, the latter left us in the dust without a pot to pee in

Status
Not open for further replies.