Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with all of this, however we have Marcel Brands handling the deal.

PSG - "We want Moise Kean on loan, we will pay a loan fee and his wages"
Everton - "Nope, permanent deal or nothing"
PSG - "loan or nothing. You can't sell him to anyone else as we know he only wants to come here"
Everton - "Ok, we'll keep him then"
Kean - "Sound, I'll sit here, not play, collect my wages and run my contract down"

Not a very smart business decision.

PSG know they have us over a barrel unless we keep him and play him, which with DCL around is incredibly unlikely. The best we can hope for here is that we get PSG to agree to an obligation to buy him as part of the loan deal.

1625559767562.png

PSG - "loan or nothing. You can't sell him to anyone else as we know he only wants to come here"
Kean - "Sound, I'll sit here, not play, collect my wages and run my contract down"

PSG know they have us over a barrel unless we keep him and play him, which with DCL around is incredibly unlikely. The best we can hope for here is that we get PSG to agree to an obligation to buy him as part of the loan deal.

By that logic no one really needs to buy one of our players ever again, they can just loan them for a pittance for 4 seasons and we’ll have no choice because they’ll just refuse to buy.

Brands needs to start doing his job I think.

hes not gonna play for 3 years? bit of a waste of a career

By that logic no one really needs to buy one of our players ever again, they can just loan them for a pittance for 4 seasons and we’ll have no choice because they’ll just refuse to buy.

Brands needs to start doing his job I think.

I love how the Brands criticism just casually ignores the reality of the matter - that's not just you btw, it's a thing whenever people have a go at him not being able to shift players.

Every situation is different - this one is a difficult one that we manufactured ourselves. We bought a player with no pathway to the first team because we play with a lone striker and have spent a lot of time and effort developing one young striker. Unless we are going to sell DCL, Kean has no pathway to the team here but he gets plenty of game time in France because they don't have an outstanding centre forward option and they play more games than us.

So we have a player who wants to go to one club in particular and they know that, so they're holding most of the cards. The only way it changes the dynamic here is if we keep him and play him regularly. That's a situation where we don't hold the upper hand in negotiations and no amount of "Marcel Brands should be doing his job" is going to turn water into wine. That's the reality of the situation, so we need to try and make the best of it.

hes not gonna play for 3 years? bit of a waste of a career

He wouldn't be the first player to make that decision. The reality is, unless we are going to play him, we need to make the best of a bad situation which we have brought on ourselves. Firstly buying him was a mistake, secondly loaning him to PSG was also a mistake. Now we have a player who wants out, only wants to go to one club and we are holding very few cards in that whole dynamic. I don't blame Brands for not being able to tell PSG to do one on the whole loan offer thing, but he has a fairly high degree of accountability for how we ended up in this position in the first place.

And how do we force a kid to play football to the best of his ability or at a level which actually benefits us, whichever is the lesser?
Well if his attitude isn’t right you don’t select him & you make him aware he won’t be loaned so he can spend the next 2 years playing for the u23’s . Effectively ending his career almost like Bentley did at spurs , the lad is a young potential star I cannot believe he’s ready to burn his career and future because one of the richest clubs in the world wants to loan not sign him .

He wouldn't be the first player to make that decision. The reality is, unless we are going to play him, we need to make the best of a bad situation which we have brought on ourselves. Firstly buying him was a mistake, secondly loaning him to PSG was also a mistake. Now we have a player who wants out, only wants to go to one club and we are holding very few cards in that whole dynamic. I don't blame Brands for not being able to tell PSG to do one on the whole loan offer thing, but he has a fairly high degree of accountability for how we ended up in this position in the first place.

really? which other top level player sat out for 3 years?

Going by that thinking PSG could tell us they’ll not pay a loan fee and only his wages as he won’t play anywhere else then do that the following two seasons and he leaves on a free to them.

no player is going to refuse to play for three seasons plus it’s not allowed. No player is bigger than the club, if the deal PSG offer us isn’t what we want then it’s simple we reject it, tell him he comes back and plays for us or he leaves if we have an acceptable offer come in.

we shouldn’t ever let any player hold us over a barrel, they’re paid to do a job so do it or leave for good.

I think it's a very smart business decision personally. Any decision on his future needs to be done on our terms. Not PSGs and not on a players who has 2-3 years left on his contract. If he stays he'll get game time. We have one striker and being Everton we're bound to get injuries so there's no worries there... he'll play and you never know, Benitez may fancy him over Dom? If he goes he'll need replacing and for that to happen we need to sell.
You're right, a loan with an obligation to buy may work but again any deal needs to be on our terms weather that's a loan fee that allows us to dip into the market or a player trade?? We can't simply bend over and take a spanking any time a player wants out or a 'bigger club' comes calling, especially when said bigger club is spending money like the clappers this window but pleading poverty to us.
No doubt Brands and co have it all in hand and you're right it doesn't help us or the kid to have a player who wants to be somewhere else but due to FFP and with Kean being one of the few expendable assets we can actually make money on we have to get this one right.

He's our player, so we have plenty of leverage.

The player will want to play and they will want him. We probably won't get as much money as we'd like but there's a big difference between only getting 30m instead of 40m, or letting him go on loan for a minimal fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.