Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clubs that don't wrap up their recruitment by June are paying very high prices when they inquire about players. Season about to begin, selling clubs dont want changes. I'm not happy with this summers recruitment.

2 way street bud, club's that need to sell before the end of the window might be more willing to reach a sensible compromise.

There was never a stage in Baines' career, up to the day he retired where KENEDY was a better option than him at left back in the PL. Never.

Towards the end Kenedy would have been more defensively competent than Baines. Baines just didn’t have any legs left. You can be the best leftback in the world but if you can’t run in the prem it’s useless. Every bog standard right winger was filling his boots down that side by the end of Baines time here, he even knew it himself, you could see his frustration on the pitch.

Kenedy was wasted by Chelsea, he should have moved on and made the most of his career somewhere else, we would have been a decent option at the time, he could have played LB and LM for us.

For as badly run as we are, people would do well to remember that we can be working on the signing of first 11 players while at the same time still be signing cheap, low-risk cover for Left-Back.

Major targets where more negotiation is needed will always take more time.
I think the issue is because people don't trust the club to get deals done, as over time players we're linked to (as tenuous a link as it could be) end up going to other clubs, it causes some concern... then time is approaching deadline, and people panic under the belief that we're clearly not good at identifying players whio want to come to us - whether thats true or not.

so then they believe that we are spending out limited time with our sub par recruitemtn team getting players in who don't improve the 11, with no confidence in the team to get deals for decent (ish) players done.

it's fascinating really in terms of a phychological study. totally understandable too.

I’d say there was probably two players who fit that category for us recently in Lukaku and Kean who basically dropped down a level to try and get themselves playing regularly and a move to a bigger club. One was obviously a success and the other a failure. I just think there’s something about lads in a dressing room looking at a player thinking ‘he’ll be off at any point and doesn’t really care if we win or lose here’

I just think we need to get a bit back towards where Moyes had us with a core of players who wanted to win for Everton. It didn’t happen as they ultimately weren’t good enough/bit unlucky with injuries at times etc. but I’d take multiple qualifications for europe over what’s been served up recently.
There's a lot of things I'd take over what's being served now but I think you nailed it with "ultimately weren't good enough". That's the problem, those that are good enough will always be in the shop window for bigger clubs.

Kean is a strange one. He failed with us and performed at PSG which got him a move back to Juventus. He's failing there too but he has managed moves to 2 big clubs since we signed him.

There's a lot of things I'd take over what's being served now but I think you nailed it with "ultimately weren't good enough". That's the problem, those that are good enough will always be in the shop window for bigger clubs.

Kean is a strange one. He failed with us and performed at PSG which got him a move back to Juventus. He's failing there too but he has managed moves to 2 big clubs since we signed him.
glad we have that obligation in the loan (something we should be dooing mor of tbh) because I feel like we would have been given the Yobo/Tosun 'turkish club' treatment on him too

To be fair to @davek at the time he made that comment Baines was where Coleman is now, needing to retire for his own good.

He still had class on the ball of course but defensively he couldn’t stop a cross to save his life by that point he’d lost all his pace and we were absolutely crying out for a new LB when Digne arrived.

In his prime he was absolutely miles better than Digne and in my view miles better than the likes of Chilwell Robertson Shaw etc. but by this point he’d become a liability for Everton’s defence much like Coleman is now.

There isn't a 'to be fair' at all with what he posted.

There isn't a 'to be fair' at all with what he posted.

Well there is. He’s not saying Kenedy is better than prime Baines. He’s saying that at that time Kenedy would have been more useful at left back than Baines was, which was true, as by that point almost anyone would have been, the bloke could barely get near an opposition player or stop a cross.

Omar Marmoush - don't presume he is on our radar but I like this kid, good with both feet, plays either side of the forward line, good technical ability, direct and runs at defenders earning free kicks when they can't stop him legally and has a good physique IE. strength. Would be a great foil for DCL.

Oh, and he's Egyptian just like certain other shorter version from across the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.