Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a midfield completely devoid of energy he brings a high workrate, dependable in playing two consecutive seasons of 30 PL games in a side where we cant keep anyone fit, 2nd highest goalscorer last season even though he's technically lacking, willing to receive the ball when others turn their back (he reverted badly to playing backwards when the team started to go downhill last season but still shows for the ball), doesnt shirk a challenge when we have a team of bloody wall flowers.
He is disciplined in so far as he doesnt get silly red cards in an indiciplined team (he lacks positional discipline yet imo thats partly due to him being expected to support attack at the same time as covering our fragile defense).
As said i think he's technically very limited, but can be effective for us if we have more technical players around him.
Alright I gotta stop you there.

Well that's the million dollar question. I'd be inclined to say he doesn't want to play this formation, based on some of his quotes last season, but then part of me thinks what a waste of time carrying on with it if you don't. Someone like Davies has played at the base in the past until he got a Gilmour or whoever he wanted.

This is currently what we have, and unless Gilmour is the catalyst for change, can't see where he'd flourish.

View attachment 174196
Poor squad

Well that's the million dollar question. I'd be inclined to say he doesn't want to play this formation, based on some of his quotes last season, but then part of me thinks what a waste of time carrying on with it if you don't. Someone like Davies has played at the base in the past until he got a Gilmour or whoever he wanted.

This is currently what we have, and unless Gilmour is the catalyst for change, can't see where he'd flourish.

View attachment 174196
Yes, he'll have no chance of making an impact as it currently stands, but, due to our financial state we cant dictate that we sign x,y,z in that order.
He's not priority no1, and id be disappointed if he's even priority no3, but it may be one that we can get done sharp and then push to complete the more important areas before the end of the window.
Frank will have a plan of where he wants us to be in 12/24 months if he has any long term aims of being at the club, this might be the time to get Gilmour in even if circumstances arent ideal. On loan or for sub £20m on relatively low wages imo is a great signing.

Unless we’re signing prime Yaya Toure on 20k a week for 10 mill there’s going to be people moaning on here about whoever we go for.

Gilmour can play so if we do go for him then it gives us a different option. As of yet I’ve not seen any concrete link recently though.

For me it's a few things, he's obviously available, should Lampard want him he'd jump at the chance, Lampard knows him and knows what he can do, so IF he wants him getting him in fast is behind other deals as he knows it's one we can do. Getting in players needed to facilitate Gilmour is ahead in priority, been a lot of talk about bringing in goalscorers in mid and wide, but central to they is having someone you can trust to actually get them the ball.

Gilmour without those players is pointless, those players without Gilmour is too, so get the ones in that are more difficult to get in first

Problem is we can’t just buy a midfielder comfortable receiving the ball on the turn etc

Said midfielder would be receiving over (or sometimes under) hit passes, spinning and coming at them at waist or shoulder height from Mina, Holgate et al.

Our supposed best centre back who we apparently can’t win without can not take the ball off Pickford and beat any sort of press.

I do fear Frank will try his preferred formation and style with whatever squad he is handed at the end of August because they will have all nodded at him through summer, and by October there will be talk of being pragmatic again. So so many missing pieces all over the pitch. Whack a mole.

Our most important players carrying the biggest burden (Pickford and DCL) are as far away from each other as is possible. Terrible teams cause us so much trouble with really simple football because they have batches of their stronger players in the same area of the pitch.

For me it's a few things, he's obviously available, should Lampard want him he'd jump at the chance, Lampard knows him and knows what he can do, so IF he wants him getting him in fast is behind other deals as he knows it's one we can do. Getting in players needed to facilitate Gilmour is ahead in priority, been a lot of talk about bringing in goalscorers in mid and wide, but central to they is having someone you can trust to actually get them the ball.

Gilmour without those players is pointless, those players without Gilmour is too, so get the ones in that are more difficult to get in first

Teams have to be built gradually.

The combination of Keane Coleman and Docuoure trying to do any sort of ball keeping round the back is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen. Didn’t get much better if you swap any of the other midfielders in either.

Tarkowski can distribute a ball though, and hopefully Patterson would be better than Coleman (I mean he can’t be worse). Add Gilmore in and suddenly the route out the back into midfield isn’t looking quite as painful as it used to be.

Agree we need the other player around him also but there’s so much wrong at Everton that I think even fixing obvious things could lead to major improvements.

Mykolenko blocking far more crosses than Digne or Kenny was a huge factor in our clean sheets at the end of last season. It mean the CBs weren’t being pulled out because the LB was out of position and they could just focus on blocking shots and marking men. Coleman wasn’t shuttling over so he could put all his focus in stopping his direct opponent. One improvement that rippled throughout the entire back line in a virtuous circle.

Hopefully Tarkowski has the same effect and if we do get Gilmour then hopefully it’s another good piece adding to the solution rather than creating more problems.

Alright I gotta stop you there.
Ok, so in comparison to Allan, Iwobi, Davies, Gomes, Delph he averages more passes per game than any of them over both of the past two seasons (near double Tom and Wobes)
Now, if we want to take into account he's technically inept and has a very average first touch which would break down a good % of possession before he can make a pass after receiving the ball, it makes him being our highest passing midfielder even more of a surprise?
But its ok, we all have different opinions, i see him as worthwhile, you dont ?

Status
Not open for further replies.