Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Can't see how we any make any signings when we're keeping so many players. Wage bill needs significant reduction.

£200k a week alone freed up with Dele and Gomes gone - lets say a quarter of that that goes on a replacement for Gomes (bit-part player), its not bad cost cutting so far. Of course you could have also trimmed Gana, but we've seen that he's an important player, and we're already ditching one midfielder (Gomes) and very, very likely another (Onana).

Very risky imo to cut loads of midfielders from the squad in one go - I think this is more measured and still cost cutting, Gana can move on next year and that's another 100k freed. Plus Coleman + Young no doubt offered less wages.

Can't see how we any make any signings when we're keeping so many players. Wage bill needs significant reduction.
If everyone signs their contracts and Holgate and Maupay come back we'll have 21 senior players including Dobbin and Chermiti who have about 5 starts between them that is only one player more than you need for a matchday squad we're not exactly overstocked.

Manager : Sean Dyche

Goalkeepers
Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virgínia (HG)
Billy Crellin (HG)

Right Backs
Séamus Coleman
Nathan Patterson
Ashley Young (HG)

Left Backs
Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs
James Tarkowski (HG)
Michael Keane (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)

Midfield
James Garner (HG)
Idrissa Gueye
Abdoulaye Doucouré

Wide Forwards
Dwight McNeil (HG)
Jack Harrison (HG) *
Lewis Dobbin (UA)

Strikers
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Youssef Chermiti (UA)
Beto
Neal Maupay

This is how I see the squad currently.

Outs
Maupay (Loan)
Holgate or Keane (Loan)

Ins
Johnny Evans to replace Branners
Josh Brownhill to replace Onana
Nani to replace Danjuma

If everyone signs their contracts and Holgate and Maupay come back we'll have 21 senior players including Dobbin and Chermiti who have about 5 starts between them that is only one player more than you need for a matchday squad we're not exactly overstocked.

The wages they're on is too high. Need to get players down to 50 a week rather than 100.

I get what you are saying but none have accepted yet and it will all be on reduced terms I imagine. If not then yeah I agree it's just madness.

Gana is the one year option so it will be triggered on the same wages i expect.

Young I could somewhat understand because he can play several positions. The issue is that hes a liability at full back. As a back up right winger its fine, providing we bring in a starter.

Coleman makes no sense to me.

The only logic i can see to this is:

A: If we bring in 3 Chermiti age high potential 18-20 year olds. Then these three experienced players could 'mentor' them.

B: If the 3 are squad fillers only which saves us money and enables us to sign one quality player that we otherwise couldnt afford if we were paying loan/transfer fees for 3 new backup signings

Hopefully one of the above is true.

£200k a week alone freed up with Dele and Gomes gone - lets say a quarter of that that goes on a replacement for Gomes (bit-part player), its not bad cost cutting so far. Of course you could have also trimmed Gana, but we've seen that he's an important player, and we're already ditching one midfielder (Gomes) and very, very likely another (Onana).

Very risky imo to cut loads of midfielders from the squad in one go - I think this is more measured and still cost cutting, Gana can move on next year and that's another 100k freed. Plus Coleman + Young no doubt offered less wages.

In terms of the midfield, its clear Garner starts every game. Gana perhaps a rotation option as hes 35 in September.

Which means we need one starter brought in and I hope a young player to develop.

In terms of the midfield, its clear Garner starts every game. Gana perhaps a rotation option as hes 35 in September.

Which means we need one starter brought in and I hope a young player to develop.

Think Gana will still be an important member of the squad personally - he has been one of the better players this season (especially second half) and was 34. Don't see him suddenly being much worse as he turns 35. I can imagine Dyche will want to drop Doucoure deeper as well, and maybe recruit someone who can play behind the striker?

You are definitely right though - I think Thelwell and Dyche will get the balance right.

Dele's a curious one.

Seamus i would have thought twice about, hes looked like things were catching up with him at this level to me, but the club might feel its returning from injury and pre season might sort him.

Surely no one (with any sense) wants James back. He's about to get his 5th FIFTH early release from a contract on a free. Honestly it's crazy that people want a player who's failed in the middle East, Greece and now Brazil to come play for a premier league club.

Surely no one (with any sense) wants James back. He's about to get his 5th FIFTH early release from a contract on a free. Honestly it's crazy that people want a player who's failed in the middle East, Greece and now Brazil to come play for a premier league club.

James is the most un Dyche like player on the planet mate, I don’t think you have any worries there.

Think Gana will still be an important member of the squad personally - he has been one of the better players this season (especially second half) and was 34. Don't see him suddenly being much worse as he turns 35. I can imagine Dyche will want to drop Doucoure deeper as well, and maybe recruit someone who can play behind the striker?

You are definitely right though - I think Thelwell and Dyche will get the balance right.

I dont think we can naively go into the 2025 season once the 3 oldies contracts expire. Along with the 3 CBs who will be out of contract.

There needs to be 3 u18-u20 aged high potential players signed and developed over 12months to step into backup and then rotation options. Or in 12months there will be too much work to do

Dele's a curious one.

Seamus i would have thought twice about, hes looked like things were catching up with him at this level to me, but the club might feel its returning from injury and pre season might sort him.

Coleman looks finished and Young looks high risk at full back.