Transfer Rumour Everton poised to make £25m bid for Celtic full-back Kieran Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't yousejust agree on this

The Scottish league is pretty terrible yo be fair.

But if Celtic rangers where in the prem they'd deffo be up there with the right investment. Massive clubs with massive fan bases
that's like saying if everton were from Luxembourg,we d be in the champions league every year!

Of course he is coming for more money. As much as he's a lifelong Celtic fan blah blah blah, we have seen it with Rooney/Rodwell/Barkley/Jeffers etc. Mr Liverpool himself nearly left them for Chelsea. Lifelong young Barca fans leave the biggest club in the world for Arsenal who haven't won the league in years either. It happens all the time, its just that this appears to be the first time its happened to you. Also, like I have said previously, the big clubs wouldnt pay that much for an untested player.

Yes he gets the odd CL games against top players, but is that enough to make him better? Do you honestly think that he will carry on developing? Any player will tell you that they only improve when they play with and against better players. Im not knocking Celtic as they are a fantastic club but its easy talking about trophies when your in a one team league. Its not Celtic's fault that the Scottish league is poor just as its not Everton's fault that Sky plough obscene amounts into the PL but that's the way it is. Tierney may be thinking that if he turn this opportunity down, will he get another?

Utd are back in for Sandro and have Shaw/Young as backup.
City have Mendy with Danilo as backup.
Spurs have Rose with Davies as backup
Chelsea have Alonso and only just spent £20 mill on LB Emerson
Liverpool have Robertson and wont spend £25mill on a backup
Arsenal - maybe but not certain that Emery will be interested.

So looking at the above, who will come in for him? Who will he displace out of those players at the moment? None. He may be looking, thinking if he comes here and proves his quality, its a fact that these teams in 2-3 years will be willing to pay £££ for him and he will get his 'big' move. If he doesn't move now then he may never move. If he's happy to play in and clean up in a 1 team league every year with his boyhood club then good on him but if he wants to develop, he has to move.

You make good points, without descending into arrogance.

Fans of every Scottish club know their star players will move down South at some point, whether it's the EPL, or Championship, it's just that Celtic supporters had hoped to get another couple of seasons from Tierney before he left. If he does leave us, this will be the worst I've felt about a player leaving since Larsson moved to Barcelona.

You could pay him a 150k and he wouldn’t stay fir long. When was the last time a great Scottish young talent stayed is whole career in Scotland.

I'm no agent, but I'm guessing none of those players were offered 150k, or even half that amount, to stay at their Scottish club.

I'm no agent, but I'm guessing none of those players were offered 150k, or even half that amount, to stay at their Scottish club.

Honestly tho mate, what would you do?

Your a young lad who worships the club you play for, but sadly the club can only pay you 15k a week, which from the normal fella in the street is a massive amount of dough, but then theres another club down the road that will pay you 80k a week, sure they wont win any trophies, but you can earn massive money, set up your whole family for life and test yourself every week against top class players.

What would you do?

Of course he is coming for more money. As much as he's a lifelong Celtic fan blah blah blah, we have seen it with Rooney/Rodwell/Barkley/Jeffers etc. Mr Liverpool himself nearly left them for Chelsea. Lifelong young Barca fans leave the biggest club in the world for Arsenal who haven't won the league in years either. It happens all the time, its just that this appears to be the first time its happened to you. Also, like I have said previously, the big clubs wouldnt pay that much for an untested player.

Yes he gets the odd CL games against top players, but is that enough to make him better? Do you honestly think that he will carry on developing? Any player will tell you that they only improve when they play with and against better players. Im not knocking Celtic as they are a fantastic club but its easy talking about trophies when your in a one team league. Its not Celtic's fault that the Scottish league is poor just as its not Everton's fault that Sky plough obscene amounts into the PL but that's the way it is. Tierney may be thinking that if he turn this opportunity down, will he get another?

Utd are back in for Sandro and have Shaw/Young as backup.
City have Mendy with Danilo as backup.
Spurs have Rose with Davies as backup
Chelsea have Alonso and only just spent £20 mill on LB Emerson
Liverpool have Robertson and wont spend £25mill on a backup
Arsenal - maybe but not certain that Emery will be interested.

So looking at the above, who will come in for him? Who will he displace out of those players at the moment? None. He may be looking, thinking if he comes here and proves his quality, its a fact that these teams in 2-3 years will be willing to pay £££ for him and he will get his 'big' move. If he doesn't move now then he may never move. If he's happy to play in and clean up in a 1 team league every year with his boyhood club then good on him but if he wants to develop, he has to move.
Good post, agree. From the games I`ve seen him play he looks really really good,forward and back. Very Seamus energy wise with an end product. If it`s true about the money being talked about it`s a no brainer. Just get it done before someone else gets in.

You make good points, without descending into arrogance.

Fans of every Scottish club know their star players will move down South at some point, whether it's the EPL, or Championship, it's just that Celtic supporters had hoped to get another couple of seasons from Tierney before he left. If he does leave us, this will be the worst I've felt about a player leaving since Larsson moved to Barcelona.

I think most of our fans are a bit peeved about the 'why would he go to Everton' shouts from quite a lot of your fanbase and are in turn slating Celtic. I dont take it personal as we all do it - we did it with Stones and City!!!

I'm under no illusion that if he does come its not because he's desperate to play for Everton, its because he wants to test himself in the supposed best and toughest league in the world, become a better player whilst earning pathetic amounts of money and hoping to attract the Barca's, Bayerns etc. We are ambitious and want to compete with the top teams and will tell him plans we have for the future, but its obviously difficult to compete with the City's/Utd's etc as there is only 3 trophy's available and the biggest spenders/wage bills normally win them.

I can sort of understand where you are coming from as he's one of you but honestly speaking, you could replace him with a 'good' LB for a few million, use the rest (or pocket it if the owners are that type) and still clean up as you have way too much quality everywhere else for other teams to compete.

Very few fishermen in Scotland bud.

Thats very ignorant,

The fishing industry in Scotland comprises a significant proportion of the United Kingdom fishing industry. A recent inquiry by the Royal Society of Edinburgh found fishing to be of much greater social, economic and cultural importance to Scotland than it is relative to the rest of the UK. Scotland has just 8.4% of the UK population but lands at its ports over 60% of the total catch in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_industry_in_Scotland

One of my best mates is a lad from Glasgow, who`s settled in LIverpool - mad Celtic fan and an Everton fan c/o me !

He reckons a lot it is down to the lack of decent Scots lads coming through, is down to a lack of anywhere n the big cities for kids to play footy on ?.

All the red ash pitches have been built on, hardly any parks in the built up areas etc and kids generally not being arsed anymore.

I honestly don't know the reason why Scotland doesn't produce quality players like it did in the past.. Obviously computer games, and the internet etc, make it far more appealing for kids to stay in these days than it was for youngsters in the past who only had three, or four, TV channels, and that was it as far as entertainment as concerned.

Having said that, other countries have all those things, but still produce excellent footballers.

Thats very ignorant,

The fishing industry in Scotland comprises a significant proportion of the United Kingdom fishing industry. A recent inquiry by the Royal Society of Edinburgh found fishing to be of much greater social, economic and cultural importance to Scotland than it is relative to the rest of the UK. Scotland has just 8.4% of the UK population but lands at its ports over 60% of the total catch in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_industry_in_Scotland
Good point, well made,i didn't get the porpoise of his post either!

Nah lid, Chris Wood would be banging 50 goals a season because he’s up against fishermen every week

What part of this are you still not getting? If Burnley played in Scotland, and got Scottish TV money, Chris Wood wouldn't be anywhere near the club, and they would be competing with Kilmarnock, Hearts, or Motherwell for a Europa League place.

Status
Not open for further replies.